PPE Requirements for Crash Operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPE Requirements for Crash Operations

What PPE does your employer require you to wear at MVA's? Full TOG,or station uniform with head, hand, eye protection?

My Department is Turn Outs, or better put- structural fire gear. I support this but also do believe that this is NOT the optimal solution. I, at this time, support Wild Land fire gear (including Extrication Suits such as those from American FireWare and Mifflin Valley) as a minimum Level of PPE of course coupled with Extrication style Gloves, propper foot ware, Helmet and Eye protection. I say at this time, cause I do not have the hard evidence to back up my opinion. I do have SERIOUS concerns about the Heat Stress that Structural Fire Gear puts on our personnel. But also believe that budgets can and do have an impact on what we use, In abscence of anything else I go with the Structural Gear, if you got the Buck consider something else

------------------
    Carl D. Avery

Comment

My department has just recently made the switch to the Mifflin Valley extrication jumpsuits. They provide overall protection without the heat problems encountered when wearing structural firefighting gear. Additionally, they are alot easier to clean that turn-outs. The only recommendation that I have is to recommend wearing a structural fire coat when doing any sort of windshield cutting. The neck on the jumpsuit is pretty open and could allow shards of glass to get inside the jumpsuit.

Comment

Interesting point Carl made about the $$$ involved. It's both true and false. Sure it cost money to provide the extrication style jumpsuits but on the other hand a complete set of turnouts is 5 to 6 times the cost. We probably have more snags, tears, and acid burns on MVA's as we do on structure related calls. You could buy a brand new jumpsuit every year for 6 years before you spent the money for one full set of gear. If you department is like most you run more highway related incidents so why not spend the money and save the money. This will also strech the service life of the expensive stuff. Word of caution, not all suits are created egual. Make sure that you are buying quality and a NFPA rated garment.

Zmag

Comment

We wear full turn out gear on MVAs. It doesn't matter how bad it is. You never know when the situation can turn bad. I've seen a simple MVA turn into a raging car fire when the wrecker arrived to turn it over. It's just a safty thing.

Comment

Exactly, thats why I suggested that only NFPA rated suits be used. The American Firewear suit has this.

Zmag

Comment

I am Still A BIG Supporter of the Extrication Jumpsuit Idea, But for all you Ball-o-Fire persons out there, What about the a 20 Lb. Dry Chem or PKP or BETTER Yet a 1.5 - 2 attack line. NO SUIT, Structural Gear or Jumpsuit will Fully protect you from a Fire Ball, MAKE sure you have Personnel on FIRE WATCH Durring all Rescue OPs.

------------------
              Carl D. Avery

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...