When should you replace hydrolic line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When should you replace hydrolic line

We have a Holmartro Hydrolic pump and one of the 50 foot lines we use to one of the tools is showing wear. It is about 12 years old. some of the outer rubber is cracked and it is realy hard to coil back on the roll.( twists that wont come out). The fittings are in good condition and one of the guys said the outer layer means nothing as long as the steel inside isn't comming apart.What do you think?

Well DC, that guy in your department is correct, the outer layer isn't the important part of the hose. BUT, if the stuff is 12 years old it's probably time to get new. Holmatro dealers have maintenance programs and comes to our dept every year or two to clean inspect and test our equipment. Our two reel lines will need replacement next year after only 5 years in service, and only one place where the hose is worn thru the outer jacket. The hoses also have permanent bends in them, where twists were pulled to the point of benting the hoses over.
    In my opinion time to buy new, so set some money aside in next years budget.

Comment

Being a high pressure tool, I wouldn't take any chances on a potential failure. While it is true that the inner layers are the important ones, the outer layer is a protective covering and if that covering is damaged, you increase the potential for damage to the important inner layers. As for coiling, steel reinforced hoses are hard to uncoil to start with, so if it is getting worse, that would concern me as well.

Resqb's suggestion of a regular service program by an AUTHORIZED Holmotro service techinican is very good advise. Along with taking care of such things as your hose problems, you might be amazed at the extra performance they may be able to get from the tools by replacing seal and readjusting pressure outputs. Again, since this is a high pressure tool, this is also an important safety consideration.

------------------
      Richard Nester
      Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Comment

I agree with MetalMedic get it replaced. We are professionals, and our tools should be in top condition. You don't see a baseball player going out to the feild with a 12 year old bat do you? Especially since we have to be prepared for an emergency the gear we use should be ready for action, with no guesses

------------------
        Put the wet stuff on the red stuff
        Visit our Dept. Schodack Valley
        Steve Kelly Jr.
        SVFC

Comment

I also agree with Richard (MetalMedic).

Based on my own experiences with our tools (Yupp - there Holmatro) you would not believe the difference a tune-up from a qualified (that includes authorized) technician can do.

We have an older Briggs & Stratton powered pump that was serviced about 2 years ago now (we now do routine service in-house after working out a service schedule w/ our Sales/Service Rep) and after replacing seals, adjusting the pressure, and a flush of ALL the old fluid - it felt like we had a brand new set of tool again.

Side note - when you decide to change fluid - be sure to change ALL of it at one time. That includes your pump(s) all your tools, AND all your hose lines. Hoses (especially longer ones) can be tricky to re-fill once you have drained all the old stuff out. I HIGHLY recommend you have your service rep do this for you (or at least assist you with it the first time or two).

Take Care - Stay Safe
          Stephen

[This message has been edited by N2DFire (edited September 26, 2000).]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X