Interlocking plastic cribbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlocking plastic cribbing

Have you used the interlocking variety of plastic cribbing, similar to lincoln logs? What are your thoughts concerning their use? Any problems?

We are currently waiting on a grant to purchase some of these that are made from recycled materials. My idea was that they would make a good addition to the wood cribbing we currently have, but I did not want to rely soley on the pastic. Wood will still take a "bite" where plastic won't give so much. I could see where the plastic might become a problem on uneven terrain. If we get ours, I plan to do some drills with both to see what weak spots each have. I'll post what we find out.

[This message has been edited by MetalMedic (edited September 06, 2000).]

Comment

One thing that I noticed when I played with the "Lincoln Log" cribbing it that you lose a portion of the dimension. By that I mean that a 4x4 on top of a 4x4 does not equal 8 inchs. This may not sound like a big deal but when you add all of the 1/2 inch interlocks you will quickly realize that you need a whole lot more plastic then you did wood to get the same results. One of the complaints that I hear the most is that we are already short of storage space for cribbing, now the same compartment will give me less and cost more. Call me a tight Pa. Dutchman if you want, but somehow I don't see that as a good deal. Quick math here : A stack of 10 4x4's (actual dim is 3 5/8), 2 wide and 5 high will produce a box crib slightly higher then 18 inchs. The plastic, even though it may be a full 4 inchs square has the 1/2 cutouts top and bottom will only give you a 3 inch lift each level. So that same 18 inch high box crib now will require 12 pieces of cribbing. If you don't believe me just grab a tape measure and go play.

Zmag

Comment

We had some of the plastic cribbing (note the key word here is had) while it has some advantages I didnt feel that they outweighed the disadvantages so I removed them from our rig. They have a real bad tendencey to get very slick when wet, we didnt have the "lincoln log" style but the kind we had did have small squares that were supposed to interlock, didnt have much luck with that. As noted on one of the other replies they dont worek very well on uneven terrain. they are easier to clean as any oil that may get on them dasn't soak into the material. If you can find a Dept. in your area that is using them or has some that you may try before buying.As usuall most salesmen can sell anything. Just my thoughts. Good luck

Comment

Silly me.. never even gave the lost space caused by the notch a thought... That settles one of my thoughts. I was considering talking the Chief into keeping this stuff at our sub-station in reserve for the "big ones" to be brought to the scene on special call.

Of course, if we ever get the heavy rescue I want to see, we could probably fit it all on one truck...

------------------
          Richard Nester
          Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Comment

Anyone wanting FREE plastic cribbing, come to Plano TX and bring a pickup truck. You can have all you want. 2x4, 4x4 and wedges. It is JUNK with a capital "J".

We pulled it off all 11 engines and our ladder trucks. It is unsafe PERIOD.

Lincoln log-type notches don't make it perform any better. It is slippery. The plastic wedges are a joke. It's like their tapered surfaces are waxed to make them slide out of everywhere you place them.

The new abrasive coatings do not help. We've been through this with Turtle Plastics and have not seen any improvement in design or safety.

FREE cribbing. Line forms on the left!

Comment

Hey Ron,

Does your city legal's department approve of giving away something that you are calling junk and unsafe? The better way to dispose of it would be in the recycling center's plastics bins. Don't expose others to junk cribbing.

Comment

Not to speak for Ron, but we're pretty sure he was trying to make his point -- not suggesting he would be actually giving it away

WebTeam

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X