Purchases on a limited budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchases on a limited budget

My small town volunteer fire and rescue dept. are looking to get one combo tool and one ram with extension. In this area of Nebraska wtih a single tool at a time pump and a 10" ram extension will cost $8K. What is out there for this money. Thanks for your input and assistance.

------------------

I'm sure that you've thought of the usual fundraisers such as raffles and the like.

You can get the local merchants together and have them donate money and make it a community project, and if you have a ladies auxillary they can head it up.

There are also several grants through certain agencies that will give funds for rescue equipment. Here in Texas, the Department of Health, EMS, give grants to Fire Departments for rescue equipment as well as pagers, and other non disposable equipment.

Go to our State Fire Commissioners Board, or whatever the govening agency is in your state and see if they have a grant program. Aso see if your City Manager knows of a program through your states municipal league or council of goverments if you have one. they will sometimes have a grant program on a 80-20 matching funds basis and you pay the 20% and promise to maintain the equipment and replace any parts if they should become damaged or break.

Hope some of this helps.

Ed Brando
    Firefighter, Carthage, TX
    Parmedic Regional Director, ETMC/EMS, Tyler TX

Comment

pvfr
      fyrfyter,
      Hats off to you and your department for understanding that you don't need a complete set of "big tools" (hydraulic) to get the job done out there (still need a sawzall & chisel). The hydraulic tools you have choosen to start with are a very good idea, you can do a lot with them.
      I don't want to start the typical debate of "my tool is better than your tool", which is what we see when a particular brand name is mentioned on many posts on the net, but I would suggest you look at the Genesis line of hydraulics.
      They (as other vendors) offer a mini pump, a lightweight, well ballanced combo (they call it a Vario) tool, and rams with 10" extentions.
      They also offer different ram heads, which would work well for your needs ( I like the V-angled head).
      Ask at least 5 different tool vendors if they offer what you are looking for, and ask for a quote in writing.
      It would be in your best interest to have each tool vendor over to your place for a demo. Have your people use the tools, and ask lots of questions!
      -warrenty
      -service
      -will they provide loaner equipment if yours go down
      -what are the safety features
      -will they offer free training
      Get the answers to these and other questions your department my have.
      Demos are a must, especially when you are making a large dollar purchase such as this.
      Let the tools do the talking, not the sales folks.
      Many sales folks out there know what they are talking about, but there are a few that tend to say things that can't be backed up.
      Good luck!

Comment

This will bring the sales people out of the wood work again... but so be it. You could probably get a demo unit with a spreader/cutter, ram and power unit for around $8K. If you would like my recommendation, send me an e-mail off the list and I'll give my 2 cents.

Good luck!

------------------
        Richard Nester
        Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

[This message has been edited by MetalMedic (edited May 29, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by MetalMedic (edited May 29, 2000).]

Comment

Metalmedic is correct Salesman will come out of the wood work on this. I think 8K will be able to purcahse any brand combi, pump, ram set. I have a full size Holmatro set I will sell for 5K with 2 rams, spreader, cutter, power unit, manual reels, and hoses. This unit is only 12 years old and has seen limmited use. a vol. dept that ran 2-3 extrications per year owned it. I put them in a complete new LUKAS rescue system and took this in on trade

Comment

Good luck on your quest.
            May I offer the suggestion to you that you explore the AMKUS rescue system. I have almost 20 yrs in the business. I use HURST at my paid job and AMKUS as a volunteer. I have had hands on with TNT and LUKAS. I highly recommend the AMKUS for your dept. You can get the basics for the price you mention and add on as needed as funds become available. Good luck my friend.

------------------
            Extrication is 95% Common Sense...Take a Valium and Dont Panic!

Comment

Our department also comes from a small town with very limited resources. Yet we have one major highway and four secondary highways to cover in our 450 sq mile area.

We recently went through the same dilema in December when we purchased our rescue tools. We had to decide if we could work with a combi tool and pump, or wait one year when we had more funds and puchase dedicated cutters and spreaders. After many demos, we decided that we could do just as much with the combi as we could with the dedicated tools.

We looked at several various makes of combi tools, and decided on Holmatro. All of the different manufacturers offered similar power, wheight, price, and ease of handling. For us, the decision boiled down to service. We also decided on the tools because the FD down the road from us also has Holmatro tools, thus on mutual aide scenes, both departments would be familiar with each others tools.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X