Pet seat belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet seat belts

Earlier this week our department was dispatched for an MVA with possible entrapment. EMS was already en-route and had arrived on scene advising us to "proceed with caution, no extrication needed."

The MVA involved a 1999 Mercedes 4-door sedan, model number escapes me. The car had apparently blown a tire while taking a curve at approximately 40 MPH. The driver swerved off the road and drove head-on into a large oak tree. The driver was relatively uninjured beyond being shaken up, with a little pain from the seat-belt and airbag.

The driver was not alone in the car. She had her two dogs with her. One was a french poodle, the other a small terrier. We asked if the dogs were OK or if they needed to be seen by a vet. The driver said the dogs were Ok because they "had their seat belts on too." We thought she was making a joke. No joke. She brought the dogs out of the back of a friend's SUV, who happened to be following her.

The dogs had a full body harness made of nylon webbing (seatbelt material) with a seat belt attachment and about 6 inches of slack line. The most ingenious thing I have ever seen. I guess it worked, I have never seen one before but you can bet I'm going to canvass the pet stores and get one for my labrador retriever.

If anybody has ever seen this type of pet seat belt, anything similar or been to any accidents where pets were saved by something, please share with me.

Rescue Lt. Kevin C. (aka Pokey)

They do indeed exist!

One gentleman I know has two "runs" in the back of his pickup -- they go from the left to right tie downs, front and rear in the bed.

His dogs jump up and the harnesses get clipped in. They can run side to side, but don't have enough slack to jump or fall over the side!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X