Laminated glass and egress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    The glass that you are referring to would be no more difficult to access then the windshield of a vehicle. You could utilize a windshield glass cutter whether it be a munual hand tool or the pnuematic. The glass will splinter like windshield glass so be sure to cover the pt. w/ a extrication cover or a sheet or whatever it is that you use.

------------------
    David DeCant
    firefighter/NREMT-B
    Originally Mantua,NJ
    Presently Lindenwold,NJ(I'm not a member of any of this District's dept's.)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    These are a laminated glass and while they are resistant to car jacking they can be accessed using a recip saw easily. There are multiple layers of material, the glass will crack but the polycarbonate layer resists penatration.

Also check the rear glazing, it may not be the same material. The windshield will be constructed of normal laminate material. If you have trouble making a purchase, take your hydraulic cutters and cut through at a pillar/post. I guarantee the hydraulics will not have a problem even if the window is made of a solid polycarbonate.

------------------
    Ron Shaw
    http://www.extrication.com

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Go to the "mylar windows" thread.... that may answer some questions.

Not laminated....they are polycarbonate....or Lexan in common terms.

------------------
    Kevin Romer
    "Performance is Everything!!"

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Laminated glass and egress

Laminated glass and egress

I am reading about laminated glass being developed for use in automobile sidewindows (e.g. already in Audi A8) for reducing car theft and personal harm from a 'thug'. Does this present difficulty for emergency personnel, or would the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages? This new type of glazing is also cited to reduce occupant ejections during a rollover or side collision. Sounds good, but would this be a problem for the occupant then to get out of the vehicle, if the doors would not open?

What do you think? I think I would like to purchase a car with this enhanced protective glazing (E.P.G.) technology, but some people are saying "but how would you get out in a fire, or if your car fell into water, etc." Should I be scared, or are there ways to deal with this stuff?

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X