Extrication Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Update on what has happened. All manufacturers were contacted and a demo requested-Hurst, Genesis, Phoenix, Curtis-Wright, Kinman, TNT, Holmatro, Amkus-EVERYBODY we could find out about. Even tried to get info on hand-powered hyraulic tools like Nike. Only Hurst, TNT and Holmatro showed up. Admin let line personnel select the equipment we wanted and the concensus was Holmatro. TNT would have made it if they had multi-stage rams. The Captain,s Rescue Fund will concentrate on getting the equipment that the city won't. Will post info from our tests on the net at a later date. Anyone who wishes to demo equipment for future purchases can still get ahold of me at [email protected] . It's not to late to get in on equiping other vehicles, though the Power Hawk is going to be hard to beat. Capt. Dan

[This message has been edited by friday (edited January 25, 2000).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    To AFFF- Amkus does have a simo unit and I guess we'll get to see it 11/10,11,12. They do make a "Hurst compatible" unit, that,s 1 of the units we have now, but I have found that if you hook up ANYBODY"S equipment to ANY "compatible" unit, the warranty is void. I suppose you could put vegetable oil in TNT or Holmatro high pressure units in an emergency, but I'm willing to bet that that would void the warranty also. If I was in a bind for fluid, I'd send the rookie to the store for mineral oil instead of vegetable oil- it also comes in bulk, is available in the same places, and is basically the same as the OEM fluid (something that doesn't apply to units using phosphated ester, maybe glycol antifreeze would work for glycol based units).
    To Root- XRT is the PTO driven pump I have seen info on- it will drive up to 4 tools simultaneously. I did try to get in touch with the Champion people but nothing ever came of it. If they would like to demo heavy duty stuff, they have about 10 days to get in touch with me, IF I can find more wrecked vehicles to use them on. If they have a combo tool and want to demo it (or the new cutter that will cut reinforced concrete) they have until the end of the year. The best way to get ahold of me is via email at [email protected] .I say this because the sniveling and whining I did above somehow got to Curtiss Wright and they have contacted me recently. Capt Dan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    YOU SHOULD HAVE CONTACTED CHAMPION RESCUE TOOLS,THEY MAKE SOME VERY NICE EQUIPMENT.

I BELIEVE THE AMKUS POWERPLANT THAT AFFF, WAS TALKING ABOUT IS A PTO DRIVEN MODEL, I TALKED TO A SALESMAN ABOUT IT A FEW YEARS AGO, BUT CANT RECALL MUCH INFO.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Where I am origanally from the Hurst to Amkus ratio was about 50/50. Friday you were saying about fluids Amkus because it is mineral fluid you can get away with using vegitable oil to replace and it will not hurt it.

Just to let you know I think that Amkus MIGHT have the ability to have the most tools running and hooked up off of one power plant at one time. At one point in time this week my partner and I at work were talking about it but I can not remeber how I figured it when I figure it out I will let you know.

If I am wrong please someone let me know.

keep going this one is fun.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    As of 11-2-99, TNT, Holmatro and Hurst have been here to show their equipment. Amkus will be here 11-10,11,12-99 to put on 6 extrication classes (6 classes in 3 days, I'm assuming they won't be in-depth classes) and show their equipment. The chief in charge has put in for a set of equipment in addition to the equipment the Captains Rescue Fund is going for and the money is still in the budget! He swears that line personnel will be able to pick the brand they prefer. If so, the Fund will pay for the additional equipment on our list and start working on sending personnel to specialized training and obtaining a combo tool for each of MFD's 9 stations. I guess Genesis, Lukas, Phoenix, Nike, Curtis-Wright, and Kinman won't be in the running as they failed to set up a demo, and the selection process will be over soon. Information gathered and utilized in the selection process will be posted on the internet somewhere, not sure where yet. It will be divided into objective and subjective areas in order to help minimize personal bias. Would anybody out there be interested in a form on the internet where you could express your subjective view-(those who have operated more than 1 brand)? Capt. Dan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    By the way, Thank's and a tip of the Stetson to whomever contacted Chad Tye and asked him to get in touch with me. Capt. Dan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks for the reply Team. Sometimes I get wrapped up assigning blame after a particularly hairy incident, when I know there are other, maybe better types of equipment available. I tend to forget about the political rigamarole that admin must go through, the anti-tax groups that bring pressure to bear on our elected officials, the seeming unconcern shown by those who haven't had to say to a scared and hurting patient "we'll have you out as fast as we can". As alluded to in other forums, some of the problem may be training, though it's sure as hell not motivation. One way or another I will get top-of-the-line equipment and quality training for my department. Capt. Dan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Capt. Dan you have the right idea and yes it is important to know these things .unfortunately for our heavy rescue team it doesn't matter which tool we perfer or which tool works best . we have use alot of different tools and tested one against the other and because of who knows who is the tool we end up with and that stinks. I guess our dept. forgets what we are out here for and the job we are doing. Capt. Dan I think you will really like the TNT tools. Wish we had them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If Brian Tye is related to Chad Tye (and I believe the are), try the Johnson County Fire Training Center. The URL is http://www.htcomp.net/jcfta/ , their phone number is (817) 558-2230 and ask for Brian. He should be able to get you in touch with Chad.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Many thanks Cook, Skip and Truck 110. Have sent messages to Lukas, Phoenix, Genesis (Must be American Rescue Technology now, anyway, thats who I sent the request to) and Kinman- so far. Still trying to remember how to get ahold of Chad Tye with TNT, and I think the local Vallen people handle Holmatro. Checked the Grainger catalog and found "lever chain hoists" up to 6000 lbs with varying length of chain. Truck 110's 6 ton idea sounds good- maybe can find 1 around here somewhere. Am amazed at the amount of help a fellow can get in this forum, guess I better pay it forward. Also thanks ZMAG for the help via email. Capt. Dan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Friday:

I think I have your Comealong Answer..I know the Moderator, and this is his pet answer.

Chain Comealong or Coffin Hoist,Buy it from The Construction Jobber in your Area,The One who sells to the Big Boys in Construction. My Fire Dept. has 2 Chain Comealongs,one is a "COFFIN HOIST" Brand by Duff-Norton, the other is a CM Brand by Columbus McKinnon. ALL Major Manufactures of these,offer very versatile uses, and Built in Safety Devices, Most importantly is that once it reaches its Limit for use strength;"WILL HOLD THE LOAD IN PLACE", and will not allow you to "Torque" on it anymore,so now the Chain will not reach its Breakpoint. We use "Herc-Alloy" Chain and Hooks, that are compatible with the unit, and they are Color Coordinated to be used with the Unit exclusively. Ours is a 6 ton Unit, and has a 180% Safety Factor,or it will lift @ 10 tons before it Breaks, but the Safety will not allow this area to be approached, since the Handle just slides in place under the load, once the 6 Ton Load is in place. There are no Ratchet Teeth to Fool with, and they all offer Ease in use. Solid Cast Handles, no bending, and Short Chains to maintain and Check, unlike Cables. And usually the Person who sold it is the person who repairs it. I think I babbled enough..LOL

Good Luck, and Thanks for the Post..

------------------

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Check out www.lukas.com. I have had good luck with my LUKAS tools and would not trade them for anything. Give them all a try and pick the one you like best.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Look up www.lukas.com. I have had very good luck with my LUKAS tools and would not trade them for anything on the market. Give them all a shot and pick the one you like best.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Check with WW Grainger for the chain come-along and the Port-a-power set.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Amkus will be coming to do a 3 day school, our local Hurst dealer in Lubbock has expressed an interest in demonstrating their tools. I have info on how to contact TNT, Holmatro, Genesis, Phoenix, Kinman and Power Hawk. Is there anyone else I should contact- every manufacturer should have a chance, although I am presently leaning towards TNT. Our Assistant Chief has put in a budget request for a new system and he leans toward Hurst, But we will be open minded. Also, does anyone know where to get a good 10 ton chain type come-along (tired of the razor sharp wickers that develope on aircraft cable type) or a heavy duty grade porto-power set? Capt. Dan

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X