Hurst vs Holmatro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I am wondering also why you would want to switch from Hurst. We had a basic vehicle rescue class and the one company that was there had Holmatro and they were bad. We broke the cutter and our Hurst just out performed them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Why Holmatro, our neighboring department uses Holmatro, we worked a MVA recently with them and they were beginning to extricate the pt. out of the car. took them nearly 15 mins to cut the car open when our hurst could have had the pt. out in 5-8 minutes we tried to get them to let us cut them out, talk about delaying transport,

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hurst Jaws of Life tools are the standard in most of the world. We have been tested, certified and copied throughout the world.

Hurst is compliant with world wide regulations Including:

- US Air Force Compliance Testing PD-89 VRG08

- US Navy Certification Testing

- DIN 14 751 Part 1 - Spreaders

- DIN 14 751 Part 2 - Cutters

- Din 14 751 Part 3 - Rams

- French Rescue Tool Standard NF S 61-571

- ANSI B30.9 - Hurst Chain Assemblies

- JIC Standard - Hand Held Hydraulics

- ML-1-45208A

- SAE J517C 100R-8

- ISO 9001

- ISO 14001

- NFPA 1936

[This message has been edited by larescue (edited August 31, 2000).]

Leave a comment:

• WebTeam
    replied
    Test

Leave a comment:

• WebTeam
    replied
    Test

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    We have had Holmatro for ten years now with
    very little problems. We are in NW Illinois, so that does include a fair amount of cold weather use. My biggest testimony to their
    endurance will be the time our pump fell out the back door of the rescue truck going down the street(oops!). When it quit rolling,we picked it up and used it. Nothing against any other brand, Holmatro will stay in our department.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    O.K. - I couldn't help myself - I had to jump in the fray.

First off -
    If your thinking of switching brands of tools - be sure to compair Apples to Apples. Just like everythnig else - Tool technology changes. It has to - it's trying to keep us even with or ahead of Automotive technology.

You can't say "We're going to buy new Brand X tools because our older than dirt Brand Y tools don't have the power the new tools do"

Well duh. Cars built 10 years ago wern't built out of the high strength materials they are today.

If you really want new tools - look at EVERY brand of new tools and compare them on a level field.

I, just like everyone else here, have my favorite brand of tool - but thats MY opinion - based on MY preferences - things might not be the same for you. (These are the things that make us individuals - the jobs we do are what make us Brothers and Sisters)

Second -
    In this thread and in another started in this forum - I see a lot of people wanting some type of "un-biased" side by side comparison of tools - well here's your shot to get it. After I read the other thread and saw BC White's comments about getting Consumer Reports to do a tool review, I decided that it's time we all stood together and made our ideas heard. Soooo I e-mailed Consumer Reports requesting a tool review and now I challenge each of you to do the same.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/Special/emsend.html

Take Care - Stay Safe

{Note - this post was in no way, shape, or form intended to offend or berate any person or persons, past or present, alive or dead, real or fictitious. These are merely my feelings on the subject. I ask only that you respect my opinion as I have respected yours. Also I am NOT affiliated with nor related to any tool designer, builder or dealer.}

[This message has been edited by N2DFire (edited July 14, 2000).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    How about it Chief Klir? Since this topic was introduced June '99 and held interest until march 2000, what did you decide?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I think you should try LUKAS rescue tools.
    LUKAS patents their pumps, couplers, and star grip total speed control valve.

CONGRATULATIONS to LUKAS for NFPA 1936 Certification. Another LUKAS first

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Finally, admin is bidding out the new Holmatro system. Time will tell if the line personnel made the right choice. Maybe we can take the 20+ year old steel armed Hurst tool and put it in the museum. Hurst will get a chance to bid for the combo tools along with EVERYONE who wants to demo their stuff. Sure would like to see Genesis, Lukas and Phoenix up close and see if Genesis' new cutter will cut reinforced concrete. Hope every body who is getting new tools has a smoother process than we did. Capt. Dan

[This message has been edited by friday (edited February 24, 2000).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I had been a longtime Hurst fan as well. I went to a Homatro demo at a neighboring company and was impressed. I was hooked on the tools, speed, power, non-toxic fluid, etc. I would advise having a "show-down" with Hurst & Holmatro, get some vehicles, and do it too it. The dealers love that stuff and let the tools sell themselves. Then you can make the best decision for your company.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have used Hurst equipment and Holmatro equipment on actual incidnets and in training for many years. On occassion during training I have used Amkus and Code 3.

Give me a Holmatro tool anytime. I am a medium size male with average upper body strength. I can operate a Holmatro built tool by myself long enough to accomplish almost any rescue. The tools are lighter and better balanced than a Husrt product. When staffing is limited and time critical a tool which required two persons to operate because of weight and balance is more limiting than tools that can be operated by a single person. The second rescuer may performa another operation simultaeously and d thus speed up the overall operation.

I have no agument with the quality of Hurst equipement. I must also agree with the school of thought which gives weight to the quality of the service and price of the product. After all budgets are a fact of life.

My money is on Holmatro and I made the decision to switch from Hurst to Holmatro in my small volunteer department because the Holmatro product is superior in balance and usablity and the local dealer is great.

Line them up and try them all out. If you approuch your decision with an open mind and judge the products fairley based on criteria which favors "real world practicality" I believe that you will find Holmatro to be a winner. Good luck on your decision.

I am not a dealer.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ed,
    As you can see this topic has a wide variety of opinions. While there are many different end users of hydraulic rescue tools you need to keep an objective view when you demo whatever tools you look at. While there are many views on hurst, holmatro, genesis and even tnt, I can tell you from a department that did a two year study on hydraulic tools, I have seen each one of these tools fail to perform in certain circumstances. Some even blew apart in the salesmans hands. Look at what you as a department want to accomplish. What extrication philosophy do you use currently. the tools you chose must perform. Servicability, what is the tool companies turn around time on service, warranty, compatability issues with surrounding departments. what fluids to want to run, phosphate esther, or mineral oil.
    $$$$ cost $$$$

I notice that a lot of people say hurst is better, amkus or whatever. No one has come out and filled in the blanks. I've noticed this on the past few postings. We need to start backing up our info so we can be more objective.

So what did we wind up with, TNT. It met all of our specifications above and have not had any problems.

Good luck, be safe all.

meegs

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi all, we have had a problem with our set of holmatro spreaders. The problem is that when you have the tool spreading the door open it will power out and you will have to reposition the tool and try to start over. This does not happen everytime but it seem to only do it on the scene. The tools are about 5 years old and the company sent someone down to look at the tools about a year ago.

Is anyone else having problems like we are having. Thanks

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe
    Local 3905.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The NFPA 1936 does have the section about the hose burst pressure being 200% of the working pressure (4-2.3), the JIC on hydraulics states that ALL hydraulic systems will work on a 4-1 safety factor.

It also says nothing about steel braid, kevlar or plastic... steel braid is required for the higher pressures (ex 10,500) to maintain hose integrity.

------------------
    "Performance IS Everything"

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...