Hurst vs Holmatro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurst vs Holmatro

Our dept. is currently looking at switching from Hurst to Holmatro. Does anybody have any pros or cons on either tool. I am trying to do a comparison for the dept.

From a die hard HURST user...why would you switch? Have you seen Hurst's new products? Elaborate more....

Comment

I too am curious as to why?

Just for my info, nothing more.

Yes, I am a Hurst dealer.

Thanks..... KBR

Comment

Several items where Holmatro tools are different from your past Hurst tools.

Each tool has a built in relief valve to prevent the possibility of over pressurizing tools and or hose.

Each tool is center balanced

Each tool has identical controls at the rear of each tool

Each tool has 360 degrees of access, including the rams that can be rotated under full load.

Each Ram has either two or three times the spreading force (depending on model)

There is more difference if you neew or want them.

And yes I am a dealer of Holmatro.

J. T. Whidby

Comment

Check out the performance of TNT, especially the "O"cutters. 800 474 4189 i'm not a dealer.

Comment

I have a question as to why you want to switch also? I have been using Hurst tools for 20 years and their quality and durability is fantastic!! I have trained with Amkus & Holmaltro tools. They are ok but neither one has anything "fantastic" that would make me want to switch from Hurst. A firefighter friend in Concord, N.H. has used the Holmaltro tool and he relayed a problem to me which I will pass on: As you know, the winters up here are chilly. The power unit for this tool is mounted in an outside compartment like many other departments would do. During an extended period of exposure to the cold it seems that the mineral fluid used by Homaltro turns into a "Semi-gell" and slows the tool response down tremendously. The Quick" cure for the problem, which developed this past winter, was to start the unit in-house and leave it running enroute to the incident. Since that time it was discussed as to how to heat the compartment. We have never had any problem with the Hurst tools in the winter. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has heard of the "Thick" fluid problem. My advice to you: STAY HURST. By the way, I am not a Hurst dealer! Good Luck in whatever you choose!

Comment

Again why switch? It usually isn't the tool, but the operator of the tool who has the problem. Changing tools won't make things better. If you are serious about switching check out the Genisis Tools for Howell Rescue systems. The Cats Meow - they took everyonesgood ideas and put them into their tools. I use Hurst at work and am content. But it is like a Porche to a cavaler. I'm not a dealer, but am impressed.

Comment

The best why to decide which rescue tool to use is very simple, forget the hype from the dealers and salesmen. Get a collection of junkers from the local salvage yard and ask the different tool dealers to give you a side by side demonstration. Have as many of your personnel at the session as possible and let them give the tools a serious workout. A tool that works well for some departments doesn't necessarily fit the needs of another, otherwise there would still be only one manufacturer. Good Luck!!!!

[This message has been edited by FireDan (edited June 30, 1999).]

Comment

We have had Hurst tools for twenty years, Amkus for about 8 years. After having had the dealers come in and show their tools off to their best advantage, I am attempting to obtain a set of Holmatro or TNT tools, Why? I should explain that After years of frustration with our procurement practices, I recently decided to raise funds by myself to obtain state of the art extrication equipment. This all came to a head on a recent accident where I desperately needed cutters, but didn't have them because the blades broke a few days before while cutting the Nader pin at another MVA on the highway. We used the Amkus tool (low operating pressure with glycol based fluid). Thank God we didn't have to use the Hurst tool as I got hydraulic fluid all over me while making and braking connections (in full bunkers) and have had many bad experiences with caustic properties of the Phosphate-ester fluid Hurst uses. The Holmatro and TNT systems I tried did indeed use mineral oil based hydraulic fluid which enables a working pressure of 10,000 psi as opposed to 5,000 for the glycol and phosphate-ester systems. Never had any problems with mineral oil based hydraulic fluid gelling at my part-time job as maintenance tech at a machine shop, but then again, it doesn't get that cold down here in West Texas. Some dealers I was unable to contact for demonstrations, but I looked over equipment from Hurst, Amkus, Holmatro, TNT Genesis, Phoenix, and Power Hawk (a DC electrical system). Gathered all the information I could on the internet and the winners were the high pressure mineral oil based TNT and Holmatro systems. (Yes, I know Amkus makes a system compatible with Mineral oil fluid, but TNT and Holmatro were better). I plan to get a pump to run 2 tools simultaneously, heavy duty spreaders, heavy duty cutters, 4 rams- 2 of which must be multi stage and a pedal cutter. As this is going to be an ongoing project, I would eventually like to put a light duty system on each of our 9 engines and am considering the Power Hawk for that purpose. Captain Dan

(No I'm not a dealer for any brand of extrication equipment)

[This message has been edited by friday (edited June 30, 1999).]

Comment

I am intrigued by "fridays" post.

I see the word "caustic" used....

Caustic: capable of corroding or eating away tissues; burning; corrosive

Hurst Phosphate Ester fits nowhere in your term used to describe it.

No point in arguing any further than that, you appear to have your mind made up, seems like for the wrong reasons, but made up just the same.

Good luck......

Comment

Perhaps "caustic" is the wrong term, maybe I'm just sensitive or allergic, but for 18 years every time I got phosphate ester fluid on my skin and wasn't able to wash it off quickly, it blistered me. Somewhere around the house I have the pictures to prove it, and there are others on MFD that have had similar experiences. Don't get me wrong, Hurst makes good equipment. I just think TNT and Holmatro's lighter, stronger stuff is the way to go under the circumstances here. And when I went to cut the Nader pins and steering columns, the salesmen gave me no caveat that their tool might break. "go ahead" they said. And it worked. Captain Dan

Comment

What I would give my eye teeth for is to have all the reps for all the tools at the same place (MFD drill field) on the same day, with say, an impartial panel of engineers and fire department personnel (LINE personnel that actually use it) and perform a series of Consumer Reports type tests. Maybe in conjunction with a T.E.R.C extrication competition. And have all the data published on the internet. I don't have access to the resources to do it, but I can dream.....
                        Captain Dan

Comment

In response to Friday.... once again.

Sensitive to a substance, I will give you that. Believe me, I work around the stuff all day, and drink it at mealtime(kidding), I dont wear any protective equip, except eye protection (OSHA) and I have never had a problem, except for the rare occasion of geting a bit in my eyes from carelessness. Rinsed the eyes out and back to work. My skin hasn't fallen off, I can see, and basically OK except for being a pain in the a--. I believe in the product. You mentioned light tools, we have them.....you mentioned power, we have the most powerful spreader (comparing apples to apples) on the market.... and if I was there and you wanted to cut a nader pin....you know what?? my reply would be "Go ahead".....want to cut hinges??....Go ahead. Maybe I am the oddball (most likely) of the Hurst group, but like I said, I believe in the product.

If you change to something else.....what makes you think that problems won't occur?? Are you ready to respond to those comments and be able to say you did the right thing??

Like I said earlier, make your choice, but be ready to stand behind it.....like I stand behind the Hurst line.

Enough advertising.....see ya

Comment

Edward, this is a subject that you can talk to a dozen differant rescue personnel and you are liable to get a dozen differant opinions.
                            It's like asking who makes the best fire truck?
                            I have had the opportunity to use numerous differant brands of tools through out my career and teaching experiences. To name a few; Hurst, Amkus, TNT, Code 3, Genisis, Holmatro and Lukas. My choice by far is the Lukas system. This equipment I have found will out perform any of the others mentioned.
                            Lukas has a well designed, properly balanced, powerful and very durable system. Four years ago our department switched from Hurst to the Lukas system after reviewing all the literature and hosting an open field day for dealers to demonstrate their products. We found Lukas had the best system to offer.
                            I would encourage you to do the same and then make your decision and purchase the system that will be best suited for your community and department.
                            For the record I'm not a dealer, just fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to use and work with so many differant brands. Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by dfire (edited July 01, 1999).]

Comment

I am writing in reference to the Hurst
                              and Holmotro question. My response is,
                              "Who has the better price and service?" All
                              hydraulic tools are same. No one is really
                              better than the other. It all seems to be
                              coming down to price and service.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse