What Brand of Recip Saw Do You Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Brand of Recip Saw Do You Use

I was wondering what brand of recip saws other folks use. Our Porter-Cable saws don't seem to be built "rescue tough." We have broken the "foot" off of both of them and this caused one saw to have a bent shaft and had to be replaced. Thinking of going over to new Milwaukee with quick change blade? Any thoughts?

We use Milwaukee and Makita brands. We do not have the quick change attachment, but a neighboring squad does and does not have problems with original equipment. We were having a joint extrication class and saws that were retrofitted with the quick change chuck would not hold the blades. We normally use a demolition blade. The sawzall is one of teh most important rescue tools. With todays alloy materials for collision beams, etc., many hydraulic tools cannot shear these components. We use these saws routinely on fire related calls also. (As you can tell, I'm a big advocate of recip. saws).

Comment

DeWalt, have had no problems to date. Have purchased two complete set ups, sawzall, skill saw and drill, with extra batteries. This being an military ARFF unit, being able to back pack the gear to a remote crash site make them benifical.
      Ed

Comment

Although I hav'nt seen this first hand, My buddy Dwight Clark has told me about a slight problem with the quick change chucks. The type of material that we cut tends to be more "gunky" then the construction industry that the saw was designed for. The tars, mastics, and rubber tend to gum up the quick change feature. This is not a problem if extra care is taking to totaly clean the saw after each use. I little thinner or lighter fluid will usally cut the "Gunky stuff" and keep you chuck in good shape.

Zmag

Comment

Our engines all carry two Milwaukee sawzalls. One is cordless, and the other is not. Both saws perform outstanding. The cordless has the quick release chuck, and it works very well. The only problem we have had with the quick release is some folks tend to get excited and over rotate the chuck causing it to bind on the blade and make it difficult to release. Perfect example of why you need to stay calm and focused on the task at hand! Great saws! Stick to the big names.. "Milwaukee". Brands such as Ryobi and Porter Cable are immitations in my eyes!

I would strongly recommend getting the fire service blades to use in these saws though!

Comment

We also have Milwaukee, the "super sawsall" x4. The variable speed feature is an asset. Be Safe...

Comment

Our Ryobi gas powered recip saw will blow your doors off!
              Frank

[This message has been edited by FSRIZZIO (edited May 20, 1999).]

Comment

Try Dewalt's new 10 amp electric. I've used this in training for some time. with good success. The operators weren't well-versed on their use and the saws saw a lot of abuse, but held up well. The 10 amp saw pulled coarse blades well, on heavy metal of school buses. The blade change is mounted on the side and works well. A gloved hand can be used to change the blades. It's well worth looking at. In comparison, it provides lots of power and a good stroke length.

Comment

( I find the comment about Porter Cable and Ryobi being "imitations" maybe a little harsh, but then again we all have our opinions.

Personally, the Porter Cable "Tiger" 9.6 amp version works very well for what we do.

I argree the Ryobi (gas) is a bit of a concern with the exhaust and noise, but as with EVERY tool, there are limitations and applications of each.

I am still not a fan of the battery powered units.

Comment

Well, tried the Milwaukee Super Sawzall at a farm rescue class. After 2-3 uses on substantial sheet metal (nothing unusual) its quick change collar broke causing the blade to fall out. We cant win!

Comment

I probably put more hours and abuse to recip-saws in my training courses than most departments will ever do to them in a lifetime....the hands down winner in the corded model is the Bosch 1642VS...the fastest, toughest, and best built recip-saw I have had the pleasure to try. The Milwaukee Super Sawzall is an excellent second choice. As far as the cordless saws go, I have to give the nod to the Milwaukee, altho the Dewalt does a fairly good job, it lacks the battery life of the Milwaukee.

Comment

I just bought two DeWalt recip units for our engines and need to put out a quality training packet and maybe a video to the shifts. If anyone has info or videos they would be willing to lend us, please E-Mail me and we can talk. Safety is always first. Thanks.

------------------
                        Toolman KCFD 40
                        Renton, WA

Comment

We use the Porter Cable Tiger saw and have been pleased with the results. Our next purchase will most likely be a Milwaukee cordless. We anticipate the need for a saw where a cord would slow the deployment excessively. Mainly thinking about in a bin or silo or up on a grain leg. Logging and agriculture produce many tough extrication situations. The versatility of a cordless may prove to be invaluable.

Comment

Milwaukee!!! Is there another brand? HA HA. We carry three (3) on the Heavy Rescue Squad--1 battery, 2 electric. the 1 battery-powered and 1 electric have quick-release chucks. We've had no problem with any of the Milwaukee tools, and we wouldn't trade them for a dozen imitations.

Comment

We love the Millwalkie, what ever you choose, make sure that you are using Lennox blades. Lennox supplied the blades for the Mid-Atlantic Regional extrication competition two years ago, and after comparing them to others, I'll never use any thing else. We didn't even need to use lubrication with them ( although it does help ).
                              Try em', you'll be hooked!

------------------
                              William J. Lynch Jr.
                              Deputy Chief
                              Portland Hook & Ladder Co. #1
                              Portland, Pa.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola