Fibreglass Vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fibreglass Vehicles

Over the weekend we were called out to an accident where the car involved was made of fibreglass. As a crew we have never been involved with a vehicle made of this stuff and was wondering if in the event that we needed to there are any tips or recommendations that someone could pass on for cutting them.

On this occasion there were no persons trapped and although the car had rolled a number of times and had basically disintergrated, the passenger compartment was still intact. Obviously if there is a fire involved then its not going to be pretty and there won't be much left of the car, but we were more intrigued by the fact that the roof had sustained no damage and were wondering if there were maybe supporting struts or suchlike in the rooflines to give that bit more protection.

If anyone has come across this I would be very interested as obviously it will affect how we approach the task and what tools we use as well. (For info, the car was a TVR Chimera sports car, which until the accident would have been worth about £50000). Expensive.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

here is a good example of what happens to fiberglass when it burns.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...0&sectionId=45

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Comment

hmm, last one of these Corvettes we had also had magnesium in the engine compartment. The owner decided to save a couple dollars and change the fuel filter himself. Saved $10 on the filter, lost $$$$$$ on the burnt vehicle.
      "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X