Roof Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Removal

Just a question to all on this forum: What is your preferred method of roof removal, do you roll the roof to a side or in half or do you just completely take the roof, in our department we take the entire roof,it's quicker in some cases and you have to spend time hoping you cut enough into the roof to bend it..,Stay Safe
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

If time and manpower permit,roof COMPLETELY off.Then you don't have to work around it,secure it or worry about having it fall(blow)back on top of you.Takes very little time extra to completely remove it.Again I don't know what you have for tools or training.T.C.

Comment

As i said before in our department nine times out of ten we completly take the roof to avoid it getting in our way or injuring us as we go to remove the patient
      NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
      IAEP Local 152
      "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Comment

I think with improving (Improving for the driver, not the rescuer! ) we need to rethink some of our extrication methods.

Whilst I support full roof remeoval provided the front windscreen comes out with minimal effort (Time factor can be a significant issue), I prefer flapping the roof to the front of the vehicle. (The argument here is that 99% of casualties should be coming out the vehicle the way they are sitting to ensure spinal movement and twisting is kept to a minimum.

With regards to new technology- beware the scary things becoming more and more common, and harder to identify and locate- airbags, curtains, etc.

Roof removals are becoming harder to perform with this new technology. Let's move towards making space with minimal cutting on new vehicles such as increasing the gap between the roof line and the rear parcel shelf (Using spreaders) to allow a casualty on a spine board to come out that way, along with many other ways...
        Luke

Comment

Amurican iron

Ah, oh napping one, you awake!You'd say that just to make me look bad.Now looket we're talking serious american iron here not those 'lil crackerboxes you drive.Big iron,big removals.Seriously a good point taken on alternate methods,factoring in some knowledge of the vehicle you're trying to modify.Some take better to a method than others.Now a nice convertible from time to time isn't bad.Expect that in the near future our jobs are going one way and it isn't easier.How's things on the home front?T.C.
          Last edited by Rescue101; 08-25-2003, 07:26 PM.

Comment

For a bit more info on some of the vehicle extrication techniques I was referring to, check out this link....

For other spinal techniques (Web page still under construction) check out this link...

How's things on the home front?
            24 weeks now and all going well Getting lots of kicking and movement!
            Luke

Comment

Depends on what kind of event occured, what shape the car is in, etc. etc.

It seems that with my dept. we most of the time end up cutting the a and b colums, either cutting a little bit in the root on both sides, or weakening it with a sledge or something, and then just flipping it right back.

Removing the whole thing completely has occured like a few times that I can recall.
              IACOJ

Comment

If you are debating between flapping versus total removal, I say go for the total removal.uri32742y92r3u#^&*$^@#(*$

Oh what the heck, what Rescue101 said.
                God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
                Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
                Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

If you are in the process of trying to flap a roof, take the extra few seconds and take it off! The only time I advocate any type of roof flap is if the car is on it side. Cut the posts on the "top" side of the car and put relief cuts on the roof at the "bottom" side. Then simply pull the roof down and extricate the victim. This creates a type of base with the roof that is easy to work around.

Train hard and work safe!
                  Tell me, I will forget. Show me, I will remember. Involve me, I will understand.

Comment

If you are debating between flapping versus total removal, I say go for the total removal
                    If you are in the process of trying to flap a roof, take the extra few seconds and take it off!
                    This is all fine provided you can remove the windscreen quickly and easily.

We've got some older model cars driving around where the window glue is so old and hard that it could easily take 10 minutes to remove a windscreen. (We don't advocate using axes and other similar tools to hack through the glass- I'm talking about proper controlled removal)
                    Luke

Comment

We have looked and tinkered with a few different ideas, but haven't been overly impressed by what we've seen.

I'm an advocate for working around these problems and finding alternatives to removing IF possible...
                      Luke

Comment

Originally posted by lutan1
                        We don't advocate using axes and other similar tools to hack through the glass- I'm talking about proper controlled removal
                        Anytime I've removed a roof it has been a very controlled evolution, and it has always involved the windshield being cut to disconnect it from the roof and posts. This is because of the reason you went on to describe... it isn't always easy to pop a windshield out on the typical car, especially if there is any damage along the perimeter of the window.

We usually use a manual glass saw (a la GlasMaster) or a reciprocating saw (a la Sawzall). This is a quick, safe, and controlled maneuver. I'm not saying it's the only way, just that it is a viable way.

Yes, if the front of the vehicle is clear and you are limited in some type of time/personnel fashion, flipping it to the front (assuming there is room) is a slightly faster evolution as you usually don't have to cut the windshield, just weaken it or force it forward. Even doing the old "crease the roof and fold back" is an option, though it's later on my list of options. But for the reasons already stated, I'm a fan of complete removal when possible.
                        Last edited by Resq14; 08-28-2003, 03:43 AM.
                        God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
                        Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
                        Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

I can't believe with all the advances down under that you aren't taking "windscreens" with a 'cip saw.Fast,neat and you can do the posts all in one shot.Hell,you can even cut designs in 'em if you want to.What I gotta do,come over there and whup you into the 2000's?Man the things I gotta do to keep you in line!(G)T.C.

Comment

We Take It All Off................

Average 4 door mid size car, 4 people, 2 DeWalt Sawzalls, 2 Hurst "O" Cutters, Roof off and away from car, 60 - 90 Seconds...... Do it regular.... Stay Safe....
                            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                            In memory of
                            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X