Reciprocatin saw info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reciprocatin saw info.

I was going to set up some classes for my shift on our recip. saws and was wandering what uses everyone uses them for, like third door conversions, roof removals, opening hoods on car fires, opening ceilings and anything else you could think of. We had three in service and now we have one on every engine all DeWalt 24v cordless with quick change blades. Any other information about saw-zalls would be helpful also. Thanks Ian

We use a recip saw on one side of the car while someone else is using HURST cutters on the other side when removing a roof. 9 times out of 10 the saw is faster! While the saw is cutting through the posts there is another firefighter (or medic) spraying soapy water on the blade to keep it from getting too hot. We have battery-operated saws and rotate the batteries from the saws to the chargers on a weekly basis so that they are always charged.

Comment

Our department has done various exercises regarding Sawz-Alls. We have (4) in active use on our heavy rescue, we found that 9 out of 10 times us younger guys prefer to use the Sawz-Alls over the Jaws when extricating a patient via roof cut, we found we can do it quicker and we can deploy all 4 Sawz-Alls at a time, Some training ideas on using a sawz-alls would be a roof roll evolution, completely taking the roof or we have begun to used the sawz alls when taking a windshield.Hope it Helps!!! Stay Safe!
      NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
      IAEP Local 152
      "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Comment

Whoa! You can use recip saws on windshields??? Will you please explain how to do this? I'm going to be teaching an extrication class on the 27th and I'm looking for any good ideas to pass along!
        Thanks

Comment

You use the recip. just like a glass master only use the shortest blade possible so you don't get to close to the pt. One problem is that it throws a lot of glass dust so use the soft protection on the pt. and a dust mask on you and your own, or just keep your mouth shut the whole time. Has anyone use the saw to remove any safety glass yet. Ian

Comment

Would tossing a tarp over the victim and rescuer be good enough?

Comment

That would work, but something cheaper and more readily available is a blanket or sheet from an ambulance, or sneak a few from your local ER because you will return them with the patient, maybe.

Comment

I'm the Blanket Queen! I'm always strolling out of the ER with a pile of blankets so high I can't see in front of me. Even in the summer a patient can have hypothermia up here. The guys are always giving me grief because I stuff the blanket compartment full. But my theory is: "a warm patient is a happy patient".
                I'll be sure to grab a blanket the next time we need to cut someone out of a vehicle and save the tarps for the HURST gear.

Comment

Originally posted by keysim331
                  One problem is that it throws a lot of glass dust so use the soft protection on the pt. and a dust mask on you and your own, or just keep your mouth shut the whole time.
                  Another "Quick Fix" is to squirt a line of shaving cream along your intended cut path, then when you make your cut (through the shaving cream) it will trap almost all of the glass dust. I would still recommend wearing masks and covering the Pt. even if you use this trick.

(Edit - the line of shaving cream should be on the INSIDE of the winshield)
                  Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
                  Stephen
                  FF/Paramedic
                  Instructor

Comment

9 times out of 10 we use the sawz-all to take the windshield at a wreck. I like to use the sawz-all and a air chisel on bigger trucks and school busses. But, I've noticed in my training that if you spray to much soap-n-water on the blade it tends to lose its bite. So be careful. Hope this helps.

Comment

Much like everyone has been replying, we make an intial cut point with an axe and then after covering the pt. we make take the windshield using the Sawz-All.
                      NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
                      IAEP Local 152
                      "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Comment

Using duck tape on the windshields, then cutting through it also helps keep the dust down.

Comment

We use Demo blades and almost never use a cooling agent on them.My personal favorite is an 11 amp Super sawsall corded.Cordless is handy but nowhere near the grapes of the 11 amp.Try one sometime.T.C.

Comment

Re: Windshield cutting with a reciprocating saw.

The way my FD removes the windshield if the decision is made to use the 'cip saw is that we start on one "A" post and cut through the windshield and through the other "A" post. It leaves the windshield in the posts and saves time. Just make sure that you reduce the blade speed while cutting through the windshield so as not to melt the plastic laminate to the blade making the blade useless.

And the shaving cream thing works really well. But, you still have to cover the patient, which they should be anyway.
                            Shawn M. Cecula
                            Firefighter
                            IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

Recip Saws are a greqat tool.
                              If you are going to just take the windshield, then you need to make a starter hole.BUT, if you are going to take the roof anyhow, just cut through the "A" post and keep right on going through the other side. Saws are great for roof "flaps" too, in the time you can make your two relief cuts with a hydraulic tool and get the middle beat down enough to fold it, you can cut the whole thing off with a saw.

Through the trunk evolutions are another good drill with a saw. You actually cut the whole portion of the car between the trunk opening and the back passenger compartment along with removing the truck lid and the back supports between the truck and passenger compartment. Just be careful with the blade.

Roof openings for a car on it's side are another possibility.

Making small openings in a residence to check for extension and or around chimneys. Makes a "neater" hole that can be a lot easier to repair for the owner after the fact..
                              IN MEMORY OF THE BOYS FROM STATION 14!!! God Speed!!

Leather forever!!!

ABC !!

If we fail to train, we train for failure.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X