X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK Guru's, Horse vs. Car

What do you do now???????
    Attached Files
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

This picture leaves alot of one-liners out there.
    1st step is to make sure the horse is dead, if not he will kill any body in there alive.
    If the horse needs to be removed after step 1, part him out with a recip saw. Don't cut the bladder-ISH(if you've done a deer you know what I mean). You should cover the pts. with a water proof tarp.

Comment

Oh Wilbur.... Didn't anybody tell this guy that a trailer and a pickup is a better way to cart around your horse..............!?!? Sorry I had Mr. Ed flash backs......

Seriously though the earlier comment on make sure the horse is dead or he will kill anybody in the car I think might be very true. Most animals when scared and/or hurt act accordingly to protect themselves.

I'm hoping this was only a driver occupied vehicle and you could remove the patient without the aforementioned removal of the horse

After that I guess I would have dispatch call a vet and a butcher and let them argue over it

It sure does create a whole lot of new jokes (esp. for some of my guys!) Scarey thing is this stuff happens but then again without weird stuff and stupid people we would be out of a job!

Stay Safe!

Comment

Anyone remember the movie "Animal House"? Chainsaw.
        "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

How'd the horse's *** get himself into that jam?
          The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
          We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
          IACOJ

Comment

A couple of years ago I was IC for two horses vs a van. (The picture looked identical with one horse in the van and the other was thrown over the roof. The passenger was deceased and trapped under the horse. The impact with both beasts bent the van up pretty bad, also physically pinning the deceased...)

First thing was to stabilise- we're looking at anywhere from 500 kg's up to a 1000 or more in weight, especially in this case, on one side of the vehicle.

Call for a crane, as we did.

Remove the roof, as we did also.

Sling chains around the hock's of the horse and lift out. I was amazed how strong the legs are of the horse- I had visions of a leg being ripped off or something, bit it held with no problems!

Food for thought- our crane was 45 minutes away- how far away is yours if you needed it urgently?

More food for thought- is the crane a privately owned one or operated by the emergency services? One can travel with the assistance of lights and sirens, the other can't, which may impact on response times....
            Luke

Comment

Not sure how long of a wait for a crane, but a heavy wrecker should have no problems removing the horse. We've got 3 available in about a 15 minute response window. I'm sure we'll here from that 101 guy about the wreckers

Comment

Childs play

Kevin,Perceptive aren't we?Car/horse,Car/Moose,Same o same o!As usual Luke is right on target.First make sure the horse is dead,if not tranq him(via local vet).Second cut the roof off.Third,drum roll here,this is important,STUDENTS PAY ATTENTION,you do NOT need a HEAVY tow truck here.Depending on patient location in relation to the horse,you can use either a small tow truck with a hyd. boom or a car carrier.How much does a car weigh?(2-5000#)How much does a horse/moose weigh?Go ahead,ah lets see,(2-5000#)So the removal equasion isn't nearly as difficult as you were thinking,you just need to rig to move the same weight as if you had a "car" in the front seat.You could actually move the horse with a comealong and your rescue truck,again if the position of victim vs horse allows you to do so.You need move the horse only about 4-5 feet toward the front to gain the necessary room for your patient.T.C.
                Last edited by Rescue101; 06-10-2003, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Here's a shot of our one.

The horse is on top of the driver.

By the time the crane had arrived, we had extricated the passenger (alive), cleared tree branches around and over the vehicle, stabilised the vehicle and flapped the roof back.

We then connected the crane and lifted up and out, straight onto a waiting trailer to be taken away for hamburgers or somehting....
                  Attached Files
                  Luke

Comment

Oh that had to leave a mark!T.C.

Comment

It would be interesting to hear how this animal ended up in this position. We have a large Amish population around here, so horse/vehicle calls are not all that uncommon. However, we don't often seem them looking quite like this. I agree with the rest who first want to prevent the animal from making matters worse, then taking the roof and have a wrecker use a recovery sling to get the animal out of the way. A veterninarian would be nice, law enforcement will do if you have no other choice. We often find that there are usually by-standers who show up on these that have some horse knowlege (horse sense???) who can often offer some assistance with the animals. Like we concluded with the police K-9 scenario, the human life takes priority over the animal's. If you need to, dispatch the animal and get it out of the way and continue with what you are there for.

Now, if you have no human victims, you need to switch gears and put more effort into finding a vet to help (providing that the animal is still alive) to advise you on how best to address the problem. They are well versed in making decisions as to the salvagability of an injured animal. Depending on the horse, this could be a very valuable piece of property that you need to make an effort to save. You can still take the roof if the animal is not threatening you while you wait for the veterinarian to arrive. You will also need to line up transportation for the animal to an animal hospital at some point, so keep the local stables in the back of your mind.
                      Richard Nester
                      Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

We run to the same thing all of the time up here in Alaska. But it sounds like everyone one is on the same track of mind. We would do the same thing. The police would arrive put the moose down. We would then stabilize and do a roof roll from the drivers side by cutting the A, B, C post. Then do to the limited space of what appeared to be a small vehicle we might do a full side drop. We would probably leave the moose intact, that way we would not further traumatize the victim. Often times though we have horns involved which can prove to be a little more difficult. And to answer some one else’s question on weight of moose, bulls are between 1,500-2,000lbs (this is fairly average weight).

Comment

Awakening the Mmedic

Ah Richard,It's been awhile.Very well said.By the looks of the striping on the personnel,I would venture that this is not a local scenerio.And compared to most crashes I've responded to,a most unusual entry.Most would be side on hits.We've missed your input lately,welcome back.T.C.

Comment

Amazing Photos (SandstromJM) and LUKE).

A class-A or B tow truck is ideal for these sized animals. A Class-C is a HUGE overkill. We have had to use them several times over the years on our stretch of interstate for ELK and dear, and we even had to extricate a Black BEAR three days ago. I guess removing a horse wouldn't be much different. (any Kangaroos Lutan?)

As a matter of fact just this morning (0100 hrs) we had a lady hit a HUGE elk and it came through her windshield missing her by 3 about inches. It would have killed her had it come through the on her side. The Vehicle was totalled. She hit the Elk at about 70 mph. Once she skidded to a complete stop the Elk Flopped back on to the hood. We took several Photos and sent them with her to the Hospital on a disk. I wanted to post them here, but because of the new HIIPA standards I could not even retrieve the pictures that we took because they are now part of HER records.

I have yet to see one parted out at the scene (while we were there), we have left them in before but not butchered them.

The advice of a few of you with regard to either making sure the animal is either DEAD or VERY tranquilized is advice worth heeding.

Be Safe.

Fraternally, Jordan
                            "Making Sense with Common Sense"
                            Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
                            ( [email protected]) Jordan Sr.

Comment

any Kangaroos Lutan?)
                              Minimal roos in our area, but I did get this photo sent to me a few weeks ago (Although this one appears to be quite young and small...)

They can do a hell of a lot of damage as they weigh around 100kg's and stand anywhere up to 7 feet tall!
                              Attached Files
                              Luke

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...