Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Battery Powered Extrication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Powered Extrication

After searching for previous posts on this topic, I'm interested to hear how some of the brands are doing after a year or so in use. How are the batteries holding up??? How do you like the unit as a whole? Would you put hade the same brand again?

We just got a set of Amkus cutters and spreaders. They were demo units, and are about a year old. Run off a 36V DeWalt battery. I'm not positive, but I think the batteries are 5 Ah. We put them in service this week. Being demo units, they probably saw as much use in the last year as a relatively busy department would see. Both units are in extremely good shape and function as they should.

When we put them fully in service this week, our rep came out and did some training on them. In the process, we cut up an '04 Impala and a Civic. All the doors were removed from both cars, both trunks and hoods were popped, the Civic had the roof rolled into 2 sections, and probably more that I'm not remembering. Both tools were still showing 2 out of 3 bars on the battery indicator when we finished. I'm confident we could have doubled what we did and not run out of battery- and even if we did we have a spare set.

I will say that the newer Amkus tools are running the 60V DeWalt batteries, and our rep is not impressed with the battery life of those batteries when the tool is in use. I don't know if the 60V is the only battery you can get or if you can still get the 36V.

Comment

We have had ours in service for two years. There is no noticeable drop in battery capacity. We have used them enough to crack the jaws on the cutter, but we haven't lost any capacity in the tool itself (replaced the jaw inserts).

We are running Genesis E-Force 2.0 with Milwaukee M-28

Comment

We've had our Genesis tools for about a year, batteries aren't a problem as for the first couple of years, we get replacement batteries automatically. Seems like a bit of overkill in a way, as I have some batteries that are over 10 years old for my personal tools, and they get used a lot more than our rescue tools. But they've performed quite well, and the tools that run off a pump are now the second line tools.
        BTW, I've not seen a Genesis cutter crack the jaws on a cutter before.

Comment

Try cutting a drive shaft on a Subaru Outback.

Comment

We have hurst edraulic tools on both our first out engines, and still use generator powered / hydraulic powered ones on our heavy rescue. Batteries have held up surprisingly well. Functionally they are awesome.

Personally, I would like to try out the Holmatro tools (they tend to be lighter than hurst, esp the big spreaders, but considering the previous electric cutter was a powerhawk, I can say I am pleasantly surprised by their performance.
            If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Originally posted by HuntPA View Post
              Try cutting a drive shaft on a Subaru Outback.
              Was there a reason you were cutting a drive shaft? Or just seeing if it would cut it?

Comment

I was not. A junior officer was in charge of drill and a member with no other training started cutting various thing. Junior officer didn't realize what the other was doing.

I will say it did better than the Hurst cutter trying to go through the pto shaft on a Hayliner 273. There was shrapnel on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntPA View Post
                  I was not. A junior officer was in charge of drill and a member with no other training started cutting various thing. Junior officer didn't realize what the other was doing.

I will say it did better than the Hurst cutter trying to go through the pto shaft on a Hayliner 273. There was shrapnel on that one.
                  Good to know.

Comment

I know that you are looking for feedback from depts that have tools in use for more than a year - that's not us.

But we just (last month) put into service a new TNT battery-powered multi-cutter (http://tntrescue.com/product/ebfcc28d/). This was after looking at a couple different manufacturers. Ours runs on 1 or 2 Milwaukee M28 batteries. We were happy with the original demo we saw last year and were just as excited/happy when our rep dropped the tool off last month and walked us through some extrication techniques. Plenty of power, plenty of battery left after taking off 4 doors and the roof. I'll post here next August and let you know if we're still happy with the tool!

Comment

How many times have you used them since you've had the tools? We have Holmatro hydraulic tools on our main rescue engine. The chief really wants a Holmatro electric combo to put on the brush truck, as we do a lot of field and farm equipment fires.

Comment

I can't put a number on it simply because we use them more for training than on scene. We have used them many many times since they were put in service. As several of our members teach agricultural rescue, we have used them several times in training and teaching for that purpose.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X