FDIC 2011 Extrication Things of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron,

I was checking everyone out also, looking at new equipment. Two items caught my eye, the res q tek struts which you mentioned, and the holmatro extendable ram. What are your thoughts on it. They explained it to me as a way speeding set up and saving fluid that is used by larger telescopic rams and reserving it for other tools.
    Attached Files

Comment

Yes, at FDIC, Holmatro introduced their newest ram; the Extendo Ram XR 4360. As you mentioned, it is an interesting design. The hydraulic piston is contained in one end of the ram; the end that manually slides back and forth to various lengths manually. In other words, you can position the ram, extend it out manually until it fits into position, and THEN you run the hydraulic controls to run the piston out.

The ram is a 10,500psi unit with a "mechanical" stroke of almost 12" and then an additional "hydraulic" stroke of almost 14". The ram is rated by Holmatro at around 11 tons of force.

It's an interesting concept for sure so lets see how it does once units get available to the sales reps and firefighters get to work with it at tool demonstrations and training classes.
      Attached Files
      Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
      www.universityofextrication.com

Comment

A new trend showed up at FDIC 2011 from several of the various strut manufacturers. Paratech & Res-Q Jack both introduced hydraulic units, looking like our vintage Porto-Power pump and rams, that incorporate right into the strut itself. They provide the "snugging up" capability of the strut, at full rated capacity, instead of just having an add-on adjustable unit.

Paratech also has a separate base unit with built-in ratchet strap so you can more efficiently use their larger struts for vehicle rescue work.

Here is the Paratech hydraulic unit
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is the new base unit from Paratech so you can use their regular trench or collapse struts more efficiently for vehicle stabilization. This base accepts the larger strut on top of it and the ratchet is already there like with their new green TVS vehicle strut system
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rmoore View Post
            A new trend showed up at FDIC 2011 from several of the various strut manufacturers. Paratech & Res-Q Jack both introduced hydraulic units, looking like our vintage Porto-Power pump and rams, that incorporate right into the strut itself. They provide the "snugging up" capability of the strut, at full rated capacity, instead of just having an add-on adjustable unit.
            I used the Paratech during the HOT training, and found it to be very useful. You mentioned what I believe is the best feature of it: it operates at full capacity. Later during the show, I spoke with the Manufacturer who stated they have them in 4", 6", and 10" models, but would make them custom size if need be.
            A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Comment

I made this little video at the turtle plastics booth.

new style step chalks. Can't wait to use them.

click on link below to view video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5obPrZd6XM
              Last edited by scooby0066; 04-04-2011, 11:42 PM. Reason: video link edit
              howie aka scooby

www.bigtruckrescue.com
              www.jandhsupply.com

Comment

Once again...the wheel has been re-invented... check out ResQTec and their "Rapid Stair"... been available for a long time.

www.resqtec.com or http://www.resqtec.eu/content/cribblocks.php

Not so new but still a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoore View Post
                  Yes, at FDIC, Holmatro introduced their newest ram; the Extendo Ram XR 4360. As you mentioned, it is an interesting design. The hydraulic piston is contained in one end of the ram; the end that manually slides back and forth to various lengths manually. In other words, you can position the ram, extend it out manually until it fits into position, and THEN you run the hydraulic controls to run the piston out.

The ram is a 10,500psi unit with a "mechanical" stroke of almost 12" and then an additional "hydraulic" stroke of almost 14". The ram is rated by Holmatro at around 11 tons of force.

It's an interesting concept for sure so lets see how it does once units get available to the sales reps and firefighters get to work with it at tool demonstrations and training classes.
                  Extendo Ram was at NJ FF's convention in September 2010. Was also at Harrisburg show in May 2010.

Maybe this is a bigger size? Was nice and functioned well.
                  "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by scooby0066 View Post
                    I made this little video at the turtle plastics booth.

new style step chalks. Can't wait to use them.

click on link below to view video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5obPrZd6XM
                    Got the ResQtec version. Work well even on Suv's. So.......Got you beat this time Scoob. Hehe T.C.

Comment

I seen res q tec has them.

I just prefer to deal with tom and the crew at turtle plastics.

I have had the opportunity to use his cribbing for a few years, it holds up great.. not a problem. My cribbing doesn't sit on a truck and used in emergencies.. its used weekly all over the north American Continent. Its abused and used in Heavy truck and equipment applications in addition to being cribbing bases for lifts well over 200 tons.. has worked flawlessly.

My intention is not to bad mouth another product here, but Ron asked what I seen, and thats what interested me... For all the turtle plastic faithful out there, they can now get that from them.. thats all.

I have nothing to say good or bad about res q tec. I can say though, that a dealer who was next to me at a trade show let me freely borrow the use of his generator to power my air compressor for air bag demos at my booth... as the power lead that I paid for (30 amp service) was not what it was supposed to be. To me, that shows a touch of class. I, in a way, was competition, he didn't have to do that

I guess I will also add, as I'm not one to hide anything.. and I see no reason to not just bring it out, Turtle plastics does sponsor my program. I used their product many years before they came onboard. I'm not one to take sponsors on just because. For the most part, our sponsors I consider to be a life long affiliation. I turn down many sponsor requests a year because I don't believe in the product or its just not a good fit in general for one reason or another. My gig with Matjack started in the late 80's, thats a long time to be affiliated with a product. I have always felt that above everything else, my integrity is whats most important.
                      Last edited by scooby0066; 04-06-2011, 08:56 PM. Reason: added content
                      howie aka scooby

www.bigtruckrescue.com
                      www.jandhsupply.com

Comment

I seen res q tec has them.

I just prefer to deal with tom and the crew at turtle plastics.

I have had the opportunity to use his cribbing for a few years, it holds up great.. not a problem. My cribbing doesn't sit on a truck and used in emergencies.. its used weekly all over the north American Continent. Its abused and used in Heavy truck and equipment applications in addition to being cribbing bases for lifts well over 200 tons.. has worked flawlessly.

My intention is not to bad mouth another product here, but Ron asked what I seen, and thats what interested me... For all the turtle plastic faithful out there, they can now get that from them.. thats all.

I have nothing to say good or bad about res q tec. I can say though, that a dealer who was next to me at a trade show let me freely borrow the use of his generator to power my air compressor for air bag demos at my booth... as the power lead that I paid for (30 amp service) was not what it was supposed to be. To me, that shows a touch of class. I, in a way, was competition, he didn't have to do that

I guess I will also add, as I'm not one to hide anything.. and I see no reason to not just bring it out, Turtle plastics does sponsor my program. I used their product many years before they came onboard. I'm not one to take sponsors on just because. For the most part, our sponsors I consider to be a life long affiliation. I turn down many sponsor requests a year because I don't believe in the product or its just not a good fit in general for one reason or another. My gig with Matjack started in the late 80's, thats a long time to be affiliated with a product. I have always felt that above everything else, my integrity is whats most important.
                        Don't know what triggered THAT avalanche. Just thought I had a leg up on you for a change. Guess I was WRONG. I don't mind that I don't have to set chocks or bag vehicles EVERYDAY. But I want my gear to work RELIABLY when I need it to. T.C.

Comment

TC I know u where just fooling around and nothing is really directed towards anyone.

I was taken back by the "re-invent" the wheel remark in the one reply.

In that case, when a manufacturer comes out with newer pumps, cutters and so on, they are just re-inventing the wheel??

when they come out with a new model of aerial.. are they re-inventing the wheel??

Top it off, there is no info on his profile. Many post here and offer slighted comments at times, when they are nothing more then a dealer or equivalent. They hide behind a profile that isn't truthful or filled out properly. They also will have their co-hert make a reply.

I moderate a board that sees on the average 20993 Avg visits per day, in addition to 400 posts daily. So when it comes to comments and shenanigans in posts, I'm pretty well versed.

My apologies to Ron, this is a good post. I was at the show, and didn't get the opportunity to see some things like the holmatcho tool along with other stuff as I had to work.
                          howie aka scooby

www.bigtruckrescue.com
                          www.jandhsupply.com

Comment

TC I know u where just fooling around and nothing is really directed towards anyone.

I was taken back by the "re-invent" the wheel remark in the one reply.

In that case, when a manufacturer comes out with newer pumps, cutters and so on, they are just re-inventing the wheel??

when they come out with a new model of aerial.. are they re-inventing the wheel??

Top it off, there is no info on his profile. Many post here and offer slighted comments at times, when they are nothing more then a dealer or equivalent. They hide behind a profile that isn't truthful or filled out properly. They also will have their co-hert make a reply.

I moderate a board that sees on the average 20993 Avg visits per day, in addition to 400 posts daily. So when it comes to comments and shenanigans in posts, I'm pretty well versed.

My apologies to Ron, this is a good post. I was at the show, and didn't get the opportunity to see some things like the holmatcho tool along with other stuff as I had to work.
                            That's why I avoid that four letter word at SHOWS. I do 1 or 2 Fire SHOWS annually and it's to LEARN and catch up with old friends. As a VENDOR, not usually possible.

Comment

TNT PTO Powered Pump

I saw that TNT had two pumps that were powered by the Harrison generator system. I asked the TNT guys and they said is was NOT like the XRT. Their new pump is powered by a hydraulic manifold from the generator system. They had one on the floor.

I saw Harrison had a power unit in their booth as well.

Did anyone else see this or ask about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Hehateme View Post
                                I saw that TNT had two pumps that were powered by the Harrison generator system. I asked the TNT guys and they said is was NOT like the XRT. Their new pump is powered by a hydraulic manifold from the generator system. They had one on the floor.

I saw Harrison had a power unit in their booth as well.

Did anyone else see this or ask about this?

I did see that, The representative at the Harrison booth said that all the tool manufacturers where approached, TNT was the only one to jump on board.

KNOWING that its a personal/departmental preference, i have never been a fan of hydraulic tools powered of the rescue. Then again, I believe modern rescue techniques have also called for the elimination of the tools staging area for most extrications.

But, for those that fully embrace the idea of tools ran of the rescue and hose reels, I would imagine its a great option. It definitely seemed to get some attention. i have some pics somewhere of it, I just have to find them
                                howie aka scooby

www.bigtruckrescue.com
                                www.jandhsupply.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse