X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a couple old threads with some info if you do a search:

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...or+extrication

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...or+extrication

While I never had to do it while in Iraq (I was working civil affairs rather than crash crew), what I heard discussed in our community was an emphasis on windows and hinges. K-12s and plasma torches were preferred.

Comment

Keep in mind that the guards will likely assume that any crash is a set-up and defend their cargo appropriately.

Comment

I took a heavy truck extrication class about a year ago. We some how had acuried an old amored truck to cut up.

We found that the best way to get in was to cut the hinges with a partner saw and basicly force the door from the hinge side with a set of irons. This one had steel strap hinges on the outside of the door. Cutting through the exterior skin was doable but was slow going with a plasma cutter.

The windows were basicly uncuttable with the tools we had on hand. We found the best way was to beat it out with a flat head axe. For the most part most of the "armor" slowed us down but did not defeat us. I think the truck was designed to look tougher then it looked.

Comment

Auto X of Armored Car

We have had some pretty challenging extrication jobs due to the Army up-armoring most of their vehicles. We bought an oxyacetylene torch/kit for these vehicles. A few relief cuts and with our high-pressure Amkus tools we're in; I'm sure that this would work in the case of an Armored Car.

If this didn't work my next option would be to attack the hinges with our K12 Rotary Saw.

A chainsaw to the window may work also, dunno haven't tried it.
          Last edited by mikeyboy; 02-27-2011, 04:22 PM.
          "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

Being a former armored service employee, I can add in a little info. Not all armored cars are created equal. The vans are usually stock vans that have been turned into armored vehicles by a specialty company rather than built as armored vehicles from the ground up. So the armor is added behind the normal vehicle skin rather than integral. The windows are usually armored with sheets of lexan placed behind the windows. With the vans, the locking and latching mechanisms are usually within a box-like structure but again the skin and hinges are normal. The larger armored trucks have bodies that are built from the ground up to be armored vehicles. But they're meant to protect mainly from small-arms fire and forcible entry with hand tools. Both high powered rifles AND many devices available to the fire service will defeat these vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by mtngael View Post
              Both high powered rifles AND many devices available to the fire service will defeat these vehicles.
              So? Shoot your way in?

Comment

Whether or not your extrication tools are capable of making entry on a Armored Vehicle is the least of my concerns on this type of rescue.

If the occupants are unconcious...begin extrication if law enforcement is on-scene. If the occupants are concious, chances are they will not let you enter and will protect entry with their lives. Typically, they will authorize entry only after another Armored Vehicle is present to transfer the load. These security guards are armed and required to protect millions of dollars in cash, it is not a good idea to make entry without authorization from the Armored Car company and/or a law enforcement officer present. The last thing you want is to have the Brinks report say "missing money after rescue"

Comment

Originally posted by CGITCH View Post
                  So? Shoot your way in?
                  I was just making the point that armored vehicles aren't THAT armored. Especially the windows. They'll stop handgun bullets and that's it.

Comment

http://youtu.be/mj7iYc3aCc0
                    Rescue Co. 1

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse