A Students question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Students question

I had a Student ask me because another instructor had told him in the past that there were cars built in America with the fuel lines in the roof rail. He stated early 90's Camaro was what he was told. Does any recall this?? I can find no info on this question to be true. Thanks. Alan

The myth resurfaces again.

Comment

Originally posted by cardoc View Post
      I had a Student ask me because another instructor had told him in the past that there were cars built in America with the fuel lines in the roof rail. He stated early 90's Camaro was what he was told. Does any recall this?? I can find no info on this question to be true. Thanks. Alan
      Nope. MANY have fuel rails running along the rocker panel/subframe area

Comment

2 of us have the same answer as R101....hubby and I actually agree too......

Comment

This Urban Legend began several years ago. A fire department was cutting apart a donated Chevy Baretta car. Remember them? The Baretta was the 2-door version and the Corsica was the 4-door model.

During the roof removal task, a plastic hose was found inside the driver's side A-pillar. When the personnel participating in the drill looked down, they saw a small puddle on the ground with a slight 'sheen' on it. The assumption was that the sheen was due to the fluid being gasoline. The next assumption was therefore that the hose they cut through must have been a fuel line because they saw the fluid leak from the tubing at the cut in the A-pillar.

Turns out the hose is the drain hose for the sunroof of the vehicle. This is still a very possible situation today; a plastic or rubber hose or hoses within a roof pillar structure.

No, automakers are not running the fuel line up the C-pillar and down the A-pillar. That would use more tubing than necessary, would be an added production expense; and would already have been engineered out of the build for that car.

So relax. It's not gasoline leaking from the roof.
          Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
          www.universityofextrication.com

Comment

Originally posted by rmoore View Post
            So relax. It's not gasoline leaking from the roof.
            Unless it tastes like gasoline, then it might be.
            I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X