Input needed on cordless sawzalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input needed on cordless sawzalls

My department is looking to purchase new reciprocating saws. They will primarily be used for auto extrication.
    What brands/models are you guys using and what would you recommend? We are leaning heavily towards cordless saws right now so battery life is a major concern.

Thanks for any help!

We have a DeWalt 24V with Lithium Ion battery. Make sure that what you get has the lithium ion battery as they are better interms of life and charging without "memory".

Also note that the blade is every bit as important as the saw!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MediumRare View Post
      My department is looking to purchase new reciprocating saws. They will primarily be used for auto extrication.
      What brands/models are you guys using and what would you recommend? We are leaning heavily towards cordless saws right now so battery life is a major concern.

Thanks for any help!
      The 36 volt dewalt paired with a RoboPak works great. This will give adequate battery power for extrications.

http://www.aircraftdynamics.com/251.htm

It can also be combined with the RoboPak BackPak for ultimate portablility.

http://www.aircraftdynamics.com/176.htm?parentid=82

Comment

We have 2 cordless DeWalts (24V I think) on our rescue, one on each side and then a corded one also (I think it's a Milwaukee). If we're going to be cutting quite a bit, we use the corded one. But a simple thing like cutting out a windshield will just call for the cordless.

Comment

DeWalt 24 volt with a 110 adapter. With one lithium battery we can take off a roof Along the "cordless" line The Ryobi gas powered sawzall, I dont think it is being made anymore while a bit loud it has great cutting power anywhere. If you can find one get it and a good battery sawzall keep them maintained these tool has been there when the Hrt's broke down and with a Hi Lift jack you have good back up or a light weight portable system

Comment

+1 for the gas powered Ryobi. You can sometimes find them on craigslist. We have the DeWalt 24v cordless tools and they suck with the standard batteries. I think the lithium might be a better bet. We never had any problems with the 18v, though.
            Weekly updates on the world of rope:

http://rescue2training.com/journal.html

Comment

We have a Milwaukee with both the lithium and conventional batteries. Suffice it to say I'm buying a 13 Amp CORDed Sawall to replace this unreliable POS. Oh,the SAW is OK but the batteries have a VERY short life. Certainly no comparison to the corded 13amp version for extrication. There won't be any more cordless saws HERE. T.C.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.
                Since we already have corded sawzalls on our rigs I think we will try out the DeWalt w/ 36v batterys. But we'll still keep the Milwaukee in mind as an option. I don't think I could talk anyone into buying a used gas powered tool off craigslist though.

Comment

I like the Milwakee SAW just fine. I just don't like the battery life of ANY cordless tool. When I'm in the middle of a active Extrication i don't want to be constantly changing out Batteries. And if you put the CORDED 13 amp saw against the Cordless,ANY Cordless,I DOUBT you'll be switching to cordless. They just ain't "Got it". Give me the 13 and a good Torch or Diamond blade and we'll do some DAMAGE. T.C.
                  Last edited by Rescue101; 02-18-2011, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                    I like the Milwakee SAW just fine. I just don't like the battery life of ANY cordless tool. When I'm in the middle of a active Extrication i don't want to be constantly changing out Batteries. And if you put the CORDED 13 amp saw against the Cordless,ANY Cordless,I DOUBT you'll be switching to cordless. They just ain't "Got it". Give me thw 13 and a good Torch or Diamond blade and we'll do some DAMAGE. T.C.
                    What about the AC/corded adapter for the cordless saw? That seems like the best of both worlds. A quick jump without waiting for the cord reels..etc but the ability to switch to long-term power once available.

I know Dewalt used to sell them for some of their cordless models but can't find them anymore.
                    So you call this your free country
                    Tell me why it costs so much to live
                    -3dd

Comment

Originally posted by voyager9 View Post
                      What about the AC/corded adapter for the cordless saw? That seems like the best of both worlds. A quick jump without waiting for the cord reels..etc but the ability to switch to long-term power once available.

I know Dewalt used to sell them for some of their cordless models but can't find them anymore.
                      Would be the next best option IF they are still available. Just cause I don't like cordless doesn't mean they don't have a place for some of you. I CAN say with some certainty that MOST cordless won't begin to approach the capacity of the 13 amp Supersawsall. It's a GOOD saw. T.C.

Comment

We run 2 dewalt 36-volt saw-z-alls on our Rescue Engine and 3 on our Rescue Squad. The third on the squad is corded milwakee. They are very reliable and frankly it's one of our first off the truck pieces because they cut pillars like butter and are great for panel vans, tractor trailers, etc. We keep one in a "window bag" for taking windshields in under a minute, and 2 more on the truck for ease of deployment.

Hope this helps. I also think that it's pretty important to use the metal blades with some sort of soap if possible, because those "universal blades" just don't remove the clippings as fast as the saw is moving and it will gum up bad and jam.

Comment

Originally posted by MHaggerty View Post
                          We run 2 dewalt 36-volt saw-z-alls on our Rescue Engine and 3 on our Rescue Squad. The third on the squad is corded milwakee. They are very reliable and frankly it's one of our first off the truck pieces because they cut pillars like butter and are great for panel vans, tractor trailers, etc. We keep one in a "window bag" for taking windshields in under a minute, and 2 more on the truck for ease of deployment.

Hope this helps. I also think that it's pretty important to use the metal blades with some sort of soap if possible, because those "universal blades" just don't remove the clippings as fast as the saw is moving and it will gum up bad and jam.
                          We finally decided on the dewalt 36v with lithium ion batteries. From what I can tell from the info available online the LiIon batteries are exactly what we needed.

-No self discharge
                          -No "memory"
                          -100% power until the battery is completly drained.
                          -Greatly increased runtime and power vs. 18v and NiCad batteries.

I'll post back after we get the first saw in for testing.

Thanks all for the help.

Comment

They are AWESOME, and will undoubtedly change your persepective on using them during an extrication.. They are just so quick with the right blade, at times they are more effective than a hydraulic cutter.

We labeled each battery with a number to inventory as well as an "in service" month/year date on them to better track battery life, usage and such...

To date (2 years) we use them alot in training and in the field, and we haven't killed a battery completely yet, even after several significant drops.

Comment

Gas powered reciprocating saw

We are currently developing a gas powered recip saw. 2 stroke. Very lightweight. In the testing phase right now. Should be on the market late September.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X