• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry...I said DRY poly prop rope.

Comment

Originally posted by MEDIC0372 View Post
      Dry...I said DRY poly prop rope.
      OK. Are you willing to bet your life that dry is DRY? We've answered you, but apparently not with the answers you want.

If you insist....you first. Don't forget to hug your family before work that day, OK?
      You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
      IACOJ Power Company Liason
      When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
      and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Comment

Originally posted by drcampbell View Post
        60-Hz power actually rises from zero to maximum in 1/240th of a second. Not that it changes the outcome any.
        I stand corrected, I didn't properly visualize the sine wave when I was thinking that through. Thank you, sir.
        When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
        and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Comment

When are lines usually down? when it rains. How do you keep a rope dry in the rain? Keep it in the vehicle. Using a rope is not a good idea as you do not control the whole electrical line. Any part of the line could come in to contact with ground.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricHoser View Post
            OK. Are you willing to bet your life that dry is DRY? We've answered you, but apparently not with the answers you want.

If you insist....you first. Don't forget to hug your family before work that day, OK?

You answered what????

There are many safe ways of handling this situation. We have practiced them and they do work. A dry poly prop rope works very well. Yes I have done it...I will not tell you how on this forum because you need proper training or yes, you can kill someone. The rope must be dry and clean...the rope must be stored properly and maintained for this purpose. The rope must be pollypropaline... You can also shoot a fire stream at electrical equipment if done right. We had a bed spring connected to 70,000 volts that we were applying water to. Worked fine with high flow with medium fog at about 15-20 feet. But you need to be completely trained in what you are doing.

I suggest that you search and find a place that teaches this kind of stuff and attend. Ohio has an annual fire school that teaches many subjects. The one titled "specialized fire fighting" covers along with other topics, electrical fire fighting.

If you are willing to sit on scene for an hour or so for the electric company while you have a critical pt in a car that is fine. If you are not willing then you need to go and get some special training and do some pre planning.

If you have not gotten speacial training and if you have not done special preplanning then I would advise you so stay away from all electricity.
            Last edited by MEDIC0372; 04-26-2007, 12:04 PM.

Comment

You answered what????
              Sorry, my mind crossed your post with some other thread in the dark and scary past - I misinterpreted your post completely, please accept my apologies. My response was not appropriate.

I agree with the rest of your reply regarding specialized training, and not offering too much info in this kind of setting, or the untrained will think they are now all that and a bag of chips, and will get themselves or others killed. The training is out there if you look.

Otherwise, "We are TRAINED professionals. Do NOT try this at home" means YOU. Yes, YOU in the turnout gear.

Comment

You answered what????

There are many safe ways of handling this situation. We have practiced them and they do work. A dry poly prop rope works very well. Yes I have done it...I will not tell you how on this forum because you need proper training or yes, you can kill someone. The rope must be dry and clean...the rope must be stored properly and maintained for this purpose. The rope must be pollypropaline... You can also shoot a fire stream at electrical equipment if done right. We had a bed spring connected to 70,000 volts that we were applying water to. Worked fine with high flow with medium fog at about 15-20 feet. But you need to be completely trained in what you are doing.

I suggest that you search and find a place that teaches this kind of stuff and attend. Ohio has an annual fire school that teaches many subjects. The one titled "specialized fire fighting" covers along with other topics, electrical fire fighting.

If you are willing to sit on scene for an hour or so for the electric company while you have a critical pt in a car that is fine. If you are not willing then you need to go and get some special training and do some pre planning.

If you have not gotten speacial training and if you have not done special preplanning then I would advise you so stay away from all electricity.
                Medic, being from ohio also, I hope I am never on a call with you involving anything with power lines. We just had a class put on by O.E. was a very informative class. all of the things you just mentioned he said something about and said to NEVER TRY THESE THINGS AT ALL, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. That includes pulling meters as it will not alway's shut off the power. If upon intitial dispatch they say lines are involved, then the power company will be called before we are even on scene, like they told us they would rather be coming and not be needed than have someone do something stupid. I will always leave the power to the power company.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X