Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ice Rescue Suits - Suggested Brands/Models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JFDdan,
    The Mustang suit is the only suit we purchase. We got to try them both before we bought them and it was the mustang with no questions. We are in Northern MN on the Canadian border and have been out training in them in -10 weather with a wind chill and you could wear shorts in these suits. As far as flotaton with the liner, they are excellent. If anyone needs training in the northern midwest Atlas Outfitters is who we used and they were very well experienced in water rescue and have a very good training program.
    Do not equate money with success. There are many successful moneymakers who are miserable failures as human beings.
    What counts most about success is how a person achieves it.

Nordy

Comment

We had been using the older sterns suits but we went to the Ice Commanders because they fit various size people better. we have had people from 5 feet to 6 feet 8 able to use the same size suit
      Last edited by captaincvfd; 03-02-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Ice Rescue Suits

As far as being able to sink a Sterns Ice Rescue I'm sure it can be done, but its going to take alittle more than 2 people and its alot easier to sink a Mustang with just a PFD on. Both suits have there limitations on what you can do with them. Neither is made for swiftwater and both can get water in them either by tearing or by water coming in around the neck like the Stearns could. Any thing that could happen will happen sooner or later.

I have made some of my student’s wear PFD’s with the older Stearns Ice rescue suits. Remember there are two different suits on the market one that was Coast Guard approved and one that wasn't. Our policy is that is there is no CG approval you must put a PFD on overtop. Cumbersome, you bet. But necessary. The sizing issue does present much of a problem anymore,with the oversize suit that Stearns has now most of the rescue personal. Trying to put a 5 foot person in either suit does open a challenge, especially if you have a lot of webbing and someone who is good at tying knots to them fit into the suit better. If this is a problem than get yourself a custom made drysuit and put your PFD on over top. Its works just the same.

I have no interest in using inflatable pfd’s in an rescue environment. There are just to may things that could go wrong and my life and teams safety are worth far to much to take that kind of chance.

The best way to find out what suit you want to buy is to try both on and see how they work for you in your application. The only person who can make up your mind is you!

Be Careful & Stay Safe,

Brad L. Tracey
        PA State Water Rescue Instructor/ Trainer

Comment

the mustang suit. out fer training during the winter and stayed completly dry and warm. its a little hard to "burp" the suit but once you play with it you wont have any problems.

jay

Comment

I would use a Mustang Ice Commander..Here are the reasons.. One it will always float even with the zipper wide open..Tested this theroy 3x all the same result. Some one said that you needed to wear a pfd with the suit well Im from Canada and we have just redid or firefighter Guidance notes to read that you do not have to wear a pfd with the suit. You need to remember that these suits were not made for the rescue service but the marine industry. They are not going to change its rating for pfd use as it will cost thousands$$$$ And where to u attach the life line if you wear a pfd if its to the back of the pfd then are you going to be pulled out of the hole with the victim on your back. OUCH. pfd is safety backup use it if u must

Comment

https://youtu.be/0KAwgu_NvQg

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...