Your preference of torches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your preference of torches

What is your preference of torches for heavy cutting of metal...exothermic, oxy-acetylene, plasma cutter, or the Petrogen? Why?

I've used the petrogen, arcair, and regular oxy-acetylene. The best cutter is the arc air but it has so many flaws that I wouldn't recommend it.
    The Arcair needs a lot of practice to be good at it, it burns through rods way to fast. The battery doesn't last too long making the unit hard to start after the first few rods. The O2 tank that comes with it also doesn't last verry long..
    Good things are that it will cut almost everything even underwater. I would recommend using a K tank of O2 and you can relight the rods with a plumbers torch (the small MAPP gas ones)
    The oxy acetylene torch is a good solid torch and with the flash back protectors it is relativly safe. It can't cut real thick material.
    The petrogen is a real nice torch, safe, easy to use, can cut thick metal overall very nice.

I've never used a plasma cutter but I hear they cut well. My concern is the same as the arc air power thing. Because it needs electricity I don't know how FF proof it is.

If I had nothing I'd get a petrogen. Otherwise learn to use what you have that's how we found out the stuff about the arc air.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X