Solar Powered Sunroof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Powered Sunroof

Does anyone know about the new solar powered sunroofs? I hear they are AC current and the only way to disable power is to cover them up with a blanket. Do they store energy? Any help would be great!

D

there is a good article on pv safety in terms of firefighting in homepower magazine #131 and in a recent fire engineering magazine as well. written by a san jose ff.

generally speaking, covering them with a tarp will remove power from the output wiring, disconnects located near the panels do not. those disconnects are for the wires feeding the inverter/batteries/etc... your two options to make them safe are tarps and nighttime. to my knowledge there are no panels out there currently that have storage capacity in either battery form or capacitors. most panels these days generally feed direct into the grid unless you have a battery backup system or are off-grid.

if you are interested in more detailed stuff homepower magazine is really the definitive source out there, many libraries have subscriptions and you can find some of there content at their website, www.homepower.com. a subscription is required to view all articles though.

-m
    Last edited by stickboy42; 04-28-2011, 12:29 AM. Reason: bad grammar.
    My opinions posted here are my own and not representative of my employer or my IAFF local.

Comment

Originally posted by sfdtruck1medic View Post
      Does anyone know about the new solar powered sunroofs? I hear they are AC current and the only way to disable power is to cover them up with a blanket. Do they store energy? Any help would be great!

D
      Solar panels themselves can only create DC power. Many have inverters connected or even attached to the panels which convert the DC to AC. This may be the case for solar sunroofs, but it really doesn't matter. If the voltage is high enough to hurt someone or to cause a spark then it is a problem.

Since the material that makes up the panel creates an electric charge whenever it is hit by light, the only way to truly disable it is to cover the panel. Otherwise you would just have to interrupt the circuit somewhere.

Comment

they only power the fan in the car to keep the temp down there is no danger. go to mgstech they have a lot of info you should see great site

Comment

Originally posted by cpfdmiller View Post
          they only power the fan in the car to keep the temp down there is no danger. go to mgstech they have a lot of info you should see great site
          I did a little looking online and it seems that most of the solar sunroofs power small cooling fans, or are designed to trickle charge the car's battery. There was an article about possible future use in hybrid and electric cars to charge the propulsion battery as well.

In either case, probably not much danger.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X