Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vac's for grain rescue.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vac's for grain rescue.

    Members of our dept as well as us associated with the regional technical rescue team have been working on grain engulfment exercises. Using grain rescue tubes to create cofferdams you surround the victim and then extract the grain within the tube to free the victim. Right now best I've seen or used is large Shop-Vac's, and having to empty them every 30 seconds or so is a pain. Just looking to see if others, facing this same type of rescue have used anything else or a special vac.

    Thanks

  • #2
    There's a company out there called Rescue Vac. I'll post a link for you tomorrow or just google them. I'm posting from my phone this evening.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    "Training Prepares You...For Moments That Define You

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Mike, will look it up.
      E4C

      Comment


      • #4
        What type of storage apparatus are you going to have to rescue from? We've done the same exercises and have discussed options other than shop vacs and there just isn't really anything out there that will fit through the top of a bin.

        Comment


        • #5
          CGITCh, having the same issue. As you don't have much space to fit equipment down in a hatch on a grain bin. One facility has bought its own cofferdam set and went with a 5 piece compared to a 4 piece because they have a few older bins that they would NOT be able to fit the 4 piece into some of their older bins. I looked at the Rescue Vac, nice set up but I don't know of a Vac truck in the area and some of the bins we might have to enter are over 100' high at the access point.

          Comment


          • #6
            as for the shop vac idea.....have you tried something like cutting the bottom out so it can be placed on a 'frame' or up of the ground - this way you wouldn't have to empty it - just move it.....stuff gets sucked in and dumped....might be messy/dusty - but hey - if it helps save a life!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by pasobuff View Post
              as for the shop vac idea.....have you tried something like cutting the bottom out so it can be placed on a 'frame' or up of the ground - this way you wouldn't have to empty it - just move it.....stuff gets sucked in and dumped....might be messy/dusty - but hey - if it helps save a life!
              That is actually a very interesting idea. Something that could hold it up and dump grain out the bottom. My minds ticking now.

              Comment


              • #8
                Been thinking about that...but the thought we had does the vac have to be closed up(sealed) to get enough suction? The thing we thought of is if you could make it so the grain is draining out the bottom..while still maintaining a layer that keeps it sealed. Going to play around with some ideas..might even contact Shop Vac themselves with some questions or ideas.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Engine4Cap View Post
                  Been thinking about that...but the thought we had does the vac have to be closed up(sealed) to get enough suction? The thing we thought of is if you could make it so the grain is draining out the bottom..while still maintaining a layer that keeps it sealed. Going to play around with some ideas..might even contact Shop Vac themselves with some questions or ideas.
                  This is my thinking too: you need the sealed space to create the suction.

                  However, maybe you could cut off the bottom of the vacuum container and replace it with something that hinged open yet still held the seal? I'm thinking that once the vacuum is on, the suction would hold the hinged bottom tight and by shutting it off (release the suction) or pulling it open you could dump the grain. Heck, the weight of the grain in the container might just break the seal on it's own, empty the container and then you could close it back up and continue.

                  It could be pretty efficient if it worked. No idea if it would work like this, just throwing out ideas. Good luck!
                  Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    We have used the Rescue Vac system for a recovery at a commercial grain elevator. Access can be a problem though. We cut holes in the bin to bring the grain down to a managable level and allow us access into the bin. Once we were able to access the inside, the Rescue Vac system worked great.The system can move a lot of grain in a very short period. We are fortunate in our area to have good access to Vac trucks.

                    Some of the disadvantages are; having access to a Rescue Vac system, getting Vac trucks close to the scene, since we only have 50 ft. of hose, and having the availablity to have more than one Vac truck on the scene. Having multiple trucks allows you to cycle trucks through as they get full so that you have very little downtime in the operation.

                    The Rescue Vac system may not work for every situation, but it sure makes for faster removal of grain in situations where you can use it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Rescue91A, that seems to be the main consensus(cutting wedges) out on the bin itself, in equally spaced and pre determined locations as to not upset the balance of the bin and tip it over. Biggest issue with cuttin seems to be while you can get a platform truck on 2 maybe 3 sides(yes i know a bin is round) but alot of times that 4th side is unable to be accesed due to another bin or bins near it.

                      I did get an email from a shop vac rep today and the only thing they would tell me is that they do NOT recomend shop vac brand for anything inside a silo or bin, due to they are not explosion proof and with the dusty air they could cause an explosion.

                      One thing I have learned on bin rescue though is this, many large companies(Cargil being the big one) do NOT allow their employees to even set foot in the grain. But many private companies and some large grain farmers have some very large set ups now a days as well.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by yjbrody View Post
                        This is my thinking too: you need the sealed space to create the suction.

                        However, maybe you could cut off the bottom of the vacuum container and replace it with something that hinged open yet still held the seal? I'm thinking that once the vacuum is on, the suction would hold the hinged bottom tight and by shutting it off (release the suction) or pulling it open you could dump the grain. Heck, the weight of the grain in the container might just break the seal on it's own, empty the container and then you could close it back up and continue.

                        It could be pretty efficient if it worked. No idea if it would work like this, just throwing out ideas. Good luck!
                        I like that idea...Maybe like a magnet on the bottom to hold it closed and seal it. Once you get some grain in there it would dump it out the bottom.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We have developed a product specifically for the task of grain removal. It is called the Grain Portr. It removes approximately .8 bushels per minute. The product is being sold by PMI. Here is a link to the product.

                          <http://shop.pmirope.com/solutions-and-kits/index.aspx?pageID=149&productID=2212&productMaster ID=2212> or go to www.pmirope.com and look under Solutions.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            http://rescuevac.com/

                            The rescue vac is the gold standard for material removal. It does need to be grounded because of the static buildup. Contact them and they will be able to provide what you need

                            Comment

                            300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                            Collapse

                            Upper 300x250

                            Collapse

                            Taboola

                            Collapse

                            Leader

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X