Search Equipment - Remote Areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Equipment - Remote Areas

I recently had the pleaseure of tramping through fields and woods at night to help locate 6 individuals who decided to go tubing and did not make it out before dark.

While the "rescue" was a success, some things may have made it easier.

I am compiling a list of items to carry in a tote on our unit(s) and was hoping for some input.

Light sticks, whistles, 1" webbing, harness with radio pocket, megaphone, headlamps, machettees, safety glasses, bright T-shirts with reflective stripes.

What do you carry?

Compass
    Flares
    Hand held GPS
    Water (for drinking)
    Small Medical Kit

Comment

"Wilderness" gear

You might check out the NASAR recommended gear at https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...ST_11_2004.pdf

The is what NASAR recommends for a 24 Hour pack. Please keep in mind that not all of us carry every bit of this plus we add somethings not on the list.

I'm not suggesting that every fire fighter that might get called for a search stock such a pack but I thought this list might be a good resource.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleJoe7197 View Post
        I recently had the pleaseure of tramping through fields and woods at night to help locate 6 individuals who decided to go tubing and did not make it out before dark.

While the "rescue" was a success, some things may have made it easier.

I am compiling a list of items to carry in a tote on our unit(s) and was hoping for some input.

Light sticks, whistles, 1" webbing, harness with radio pocket, megaphone, headlamps, machettees, safety glasses, bright T-shirts with reflective stripes.

What do you carry?
        What kind of environment are you likely to be operating in? The NASAR list is reasonable, but you may want to tailor it to fit your location, terrain, season, role, etc. The NASAR list includes a tracking stick. Do you have training in tracking? If not - that is one item you might as well forget.

Do you need to be prepared for operating in steep terrain in the winter? Overnight assignments possible? What level of medical or rescue capability do you need to be prepared to provide in the field?

You mentioned things that would have made things easier - what challenges did you face? Insight into that will help guide recommendations.

You run the risk of overkill without some careful consideration.

The above being said. For mountain/wilderness rescue in the western US my pack (3,000 cu in) contains (I may forget an item or two):
        Personal FA kit (includes sunscreen, etc.)
        Navigation gear including compass and GPS
        Headlamp
        Helmet/goggles
        Gloves (leather/rescue and windstopper polypro)
        Warm hat (beanie - fits under helmet)
        Wind/rain shell pants and jacket (jacket = bright color)
        Fleece (soft shell) jacket (bright color)
        Mid-weight zip tee shirt
        Maps of local area
        Pencil/paper
        Whistle (attached to pack)
        Batteries for all electronic (all items use same size)
        Multi-tool
        Tech rescue equip (harness, personal rope, rigging gear, webbing)
        Water bottle/hydration pack
        Garbage bag (can be used as poncho, etc.)
        Emerg. survival items (fire starter, bivy sack, signal mirror, strobe, etc.)
        Sunglasses
        Radio/x-tra radio battery
        Small amount of high calorie/long shelf life food

Other items may be added for winter or high altitude ops. or for specific operational needs (like more rope, rock pro, swiftwater gear, etc.)

I can operate out of the pack for ~3 days without resupply. Mind you - it isn't luxurious, but it is fully functional.

Total weight (w/out full hydration pack) is 22 lbs.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X