Looking for information on ethanol plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for information on ethanol plants

It has just been announced that my county, along with a neighboring county that my team covers, are going to get corn to ethanol plants. Besides the end products of CO2 and ethanol, does any one know what other hazardous materials we might have to deal with?
    "Your spill is our thrill."

I believe they have to have a small amount of gasoline onsite to denature the ethanol with.

We have one going in near us, but the only thing I have heard for sure, is that plant is buying several hundred gallons of alcohol resistent foam for fire department use. My understanding is that the foam will be stored onsite.

Unless you are more equipped than we were, your department doesn't own near enough class b foam to handle a fire at a plant like that.

Comment

Reply to my request

Thank you kd7fds.
      My county has access to 500 gallons of foam concentrate at the local landfill. They have a tire shredding plant on site and their insurance company required the stock pile. The down side is that it is about a 20 minute drive from where the plant will be built.
      It has been discussed that we should increase our own foam concentrate stock pile. There is county property and the local F.D. near where the plant will be built. We do not want to store it on site in case there is an incident, we might not be able to nor want to get on the plant.
      "Your spill is our thrill."

Comment

mdcook, you might want to look at the MSDS sheet. Its shows hazards and special characteristics of ethanol. Here is a link.

http://www.distill.com/materialsafety/msds-usa.html
        Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

Yeah, I should have been a little more clear.

The ethanol plant, in this case, is building a small building seperate from the main structure. It will be about 100yds away and have their on-site emergency equipment and the foam concentrate.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X