CO Monitoring during overhaul

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THE TRUCKIE

CO Monitoring during overhaul

In my FD CO monitoring is not required prior to removal of SCBA on structure fires. I have been told there are no set limits to go by. Copies of policies with requirements and CO levels would be helpful. I don't want to "re-invent the wheel" on something someone is already using. Thanks

------------------
  • 1710e6

On our department we have a policy that we can not remove our SCBA until a "Negative CO" reading is given. To get a negative CO, the Co level must be below 35ppm on a monitor.

All front line equipment carries CO monitors. Our shift chief and haz-mat engine carries an AIM 3250.

Our SOP's dictate that if anyone is not wearing an SCBA when there is CO present, we immediately get a 12 hour vacation for the first offense. There are other times besides structure fire when the SCBA rule is in effect such as confined space, below grade and others.

Comment

• Aerial 131

In my volunteer department we have policy of 35PPM as well.

Some local departments are saying that 100PPM is adequate, but we decided to go a step further.

We also helped to define the issues of PPV and other related power equipment and how it might effect the CO reading.

We are using an AIM CO detector, it is small and easy to use but I like the GT 2400 4 gas detector better which my career department uses. Better & more versatile.

Zimm

Comment

• RFDHAZMAT

Awareness of CO is great, but remember, there are many other toxic products present during overhaul that the CO/4-gas and even PID cannot detect. Many such as HCN and Phosgene may be present at levels above the PEL/TLV and even the IDLH. Even though CO may be determined as "low", many of these other gases may be present. The best option is to wear the SCBA until overhaul is complete. APR's may be an option for investigators during the initial investigation phases. Good judgement should prevail. See the Phoenix FD study posted in the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)Journal: Vol. 61, No. 5, pp. 636–641.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...