Lng & cng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lng & cng

This question was posed to me by a student in a recent vehicle rescue training program that I was instructing. Does the compressed natural gas (CNG) or liquefied natural gas (LNG) utilized to fuel cars and trucks have Mercaptan added for leak indentification ?

Any ideas on this ?

I was able to find out a little bit more regarding this:

Dear Mr. Feicht,

Thank you for your email. We are not experts on the specific requirements for fuels however the Energy Information Administration indicates that strict regulations require producers of Natural Gas to add the mercaptan odor for safety. Because most natural gas vehicles are fueled from residential or commercial natural gas lines, the fuel in the vehicle should contain the odor. Residential refueling units like Phill, which is used for the Honda Civic CNG vehicle, compress the natural gas from a standard household gas line so they would contain the odor.

For more definitive information, you may want to contact others who would be in a better position to address this.

Energy Information Administration

http://www.eia.doe.gov/security/infragas.html

Department of Energy’s Alternative Fuels and Advanced Vehicles Data Center

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/natural_gas.html

Sincerely,

www.fueleconomy.gov

Comment

Odour

In Australia for domestic purposes yes however wholesale it is not so clear.
      I believe two gas tanker loads a week of odourless gas are transported interstate for manufacturing purposes. They pass not far from my home.
      Disclaimer
      These views are my own and not of either my brigade or any other organisation.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X