Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being able to utilize the points is nice but how about the people who made it without the extra points?

Its called hard work. They put in their time, studied, and did what they needed to do to move ahead of the rest.

By all means, get your points buddy, but if you think that those points are one of the biggest things that has been holding you back from getting a fire job so far, take a step back, crack open a few books and study, polish up on your oral interview skills, and maybe even touch base with someone that did make it through without those points and see what they did to make it happen.

Good luck!

Comment

I would not worry about vet pref. Do know how many 5 and 10 point vets there are out there since war started. If I were you I would work on CDC certs. I am a 5 point vet right now. But to make my point I have seen 30 point vets not get a jobs because they don't have the right certs qualify them for the job. Every year it gets harder and harder to get picked up for DOD jobs. The certs you get out of Goodfellow are just good enough any more. Even then you are lucky to get a GS-4 or GS-5 job with those certs.

I am not busting your chops and I don't even know what certs you have but I am just putting my two cents in a guess. What do I really know I am just some dumb active duty Army firefighter, Who been around a while.

Comment

Great Advice.

I appreciate the advice I have been getting. I have done a few extra cert classes beyond Goodfellow and hope to do a few more. when you talk about five points in the grand scheme studying and Oral interview can get alot but scoring one point on a test can put you up a long way. Dont get me wrong I appreciate the advice And I agree to a certain extent even with the guy who thinks the only reason why I would volunteer for deployment is to get vet pref instead of getting a temp 6 month adsw position to get vet pref. But alot of the comments are things I have tried. I have been through every study guide I can find and Its competitive. I understand the frustration of someone else getting 5 extra points when someone else doesnt but If someone doesnt like it then maybe if they are capable they should join the military. Im trying for everything I can get. There is a reason for these points and its not just to be unfair to others. I notice alot of times on these tests the ranking is guys with scores above 100. To get to the top with this kind of competition sometimes requires preference points. So Even If someone scores 100 on written and Oral they arent always # 1 on the list. Cracking a study guide or touching up on interview helps but only If you score 100 and the rest doesnt just come out of nowhere. Im not going to lie I have room for improvement. Vet Pref will never be the only thing I count on. But I hope as non book smart as I am even if I study to get 100 average. I would like an extra 5. Thank you very much for your advice and I appreciate the support you guys give to those who serve our country. I also really appreciate those who are serving our country whether your doing it for yourself or for your country. Thanks for keeping my family safe.
        Last edited by ashncole; 05-01-2009, 12:47 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X