Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USMC firefighting

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    What is the USMC base in New Jersey they have a really nice fire department,
    there was a write up about it in Fire Engineering Mag a year or so ago. For a military fire dept it had some really nice equipment.

    Comment


    • #17
      pastore, did you know a Marine by the name of Steblteon? I think he is an ARFF at Cherry Point
      -Ron Stanton

      Avondale Fire Company
      Chester County Station 23

      visit our page @ http://www.avondalefirecompany.org

      DCFD
      Engine Co. 11
      www.houseofflame.com

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by 27Truckie View Post
        What is the USMC base in New Jersey they have a really nice fire department,
        there was a write up about it in Fire Engineering Mag a year or so ago. For a military fire dept it had some really nice equipment.
        That was probably NAS Lakehurst. No Marines there-other than exercises.

        Comment


        • #19
          how hard is it to get air crash rescue in the marines

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by GTFDWarrior View Post
            how hard is it to get air crash rescue in the marines
            I was told by the recruiter that they could guarantee me the job..., but take it with a grain of salt.

            I'm really leaning towards this myself, but you need to be ready to be a marine first. Watch some videos on youtube of the fire dawgs, and it doesn't look too bad though...?

            Comment


            • #21
              USMC base

              Isn't there a NAS somewhere around DC that does nothing but rescue.. it's a research base or something.. i went to rescue school with a marine that was stationed there .. he was a pretty sharp cat.. but he said they did no ARFF (good for him.. i hate crash trash) and just focused on high angle and trench rescue.. just asking.

              Comment


              • #22
                An active duty recruiter can guarantee you only the occupational field, not the MOS. The Occ field contains 3 jobs:
                7011, Expeditionary Airfield Tech-lays runway matting and lights
                7041, Airfield Operations Clerk-maintains records
                7051, Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting

                The reserves can guarantee 7051, but they are available in only three units-Willowgrove, PA, Minneapolis, MN, and Miramar, CA.

                Needs of the USMC dominate, if they are short of 7011s, you bomb the ASVAB, etc, you end up where they want you. I've seen many Marines who thought they were going to be ARFF until they were a week into the 7011 Course. 7011 course is at Pensacola,FL, 7051 at Goodfellow AFB in TX.

                "Fire Dawg" is generally an Air Force term, be careful taking what you see from those vids and believing it is the USMC way.

                Do a search, you'll see this has been addressed many times in this forum. watch out for VinnieB, he'll try to get you into the grunts. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

                Most importantly, don't join the USMC for firefighting. Do it if you want to be a Marine. The basic Marine skills trump the fire duty any day. Joining the Corps to be a firefighter would be a major mistake.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by peterbound View Post
                  Isn't there a NAS somewhere around DC that does nothing but rescue.. it's a research base or something.. i went to rescue school with a marine that was stationed there .. he was a pretty sharp cat.. but he said they did no ARFF (good for him.. i hate crash trash) and just focused on high angle and trench rescue.. just asking.
                  your talking about CBIRF. It's mainly a HAZMAT and CBRN unit that has Tech, Rescue capabilities. I was in the Army 911th En Co. (Technical Rescue). We mainly focused on tech. rescue but we had HAZMAT training.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    CBIRF has about a platoon(-) of 7051s assigned for the tech rescue work. It is a 2-3 yr assignment, and usually only given to very sharp and motivated Marines. It is a very high speed, high stress tour. Plenty of training opportunities but also many late night recalls and exercises. Noone should expect to get there without pulling at least one "crash trash" tour, probably at Iwakuni or Okinawa, first.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      My cousin finished boot camp Nov 1. His recruiter told him his MOS would be aircraft crash rescue. He is now in Pensacola doing ordinance loading, or something along those lines.

                      Recruiters job is to get you to join. They can't guarantee anything. He's not as happy, but he is happy.
                      "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                        My cousin finished boot camp Nov 1. His recruiter told him his MOS would be aircraft crash rescue. He is now in Pensacola doing ordinance loading, or something along those lines.

                        Recruiters job is to get you to join. They can't guarantee anything. He's not as happy, but he is happy.
                        Did your cousin screw up, or did he not really get it guaranteed?
                        They have always(or atleast for the last 25 year) promised a "Field". This can be infantry, combat arms, combat support, aviation, etc. not specfic, but a general field.
                        They can also guarantee many jobs, but that will be based on going to boot camp when they say, might be the next day, might be 364 days from the time you sign, and is dependent on you having the required ASVAB scores before shipping out, and when they test you again at Parris Island/San Diego to be sure you did not cheat and it was really you taking the test the first time, you need to also graduate with your original platoon(medical, rifle range, or other holds negates the original contract for both guaranteed jobs and enlistment bonus').
                        If your cousin was really guaranteed the job and went to boot camp and graduated when he was supposed to, and had the right scores, he would not be learning to count and load bombs. Otherwise he just signed up for the avaiation support field with CFR as his first choice and did not win the lottery.
                        Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                        -Big Russ

                        Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

                        Originally posted by nyckftbl
                        LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Otherwise he just signed up for the avaiation support field with CFR as his first choice and did not win the lottery.
                          That would be my guess. From what I got out of him, he was to pick a first choice and a second choice. CFR was first, ordinance stuff was second.

                          No screwups in boot.

                          He has 0 fire experience and I am not even sure why he chose CFR as his first, other than he believed it would help him get a job (FDNY) after his "stint" was over. He is really liking Marine life (so far) and may stay even longer. Time will tell.
                          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                            That would be my guess. From what I got out of him, he was to pick a first choice and a second choice. CFR was first, ordinance stuff was second.

                            No screwups in boot.

                            He has 0 fire experience and I am not even sure why he chose CFR as his first, other than he believed it would help him get a job (FDNY) after his "stint" was over. He is really liking Marine life (so far) and may stay even longer. Time will tell.
                            CFR is a pretty sweet gig. A lot of fun, get to play Marine and Firefighter, they give you a badge to flash, get a lot of cross training opportunities, I knew guys that flew in the Rescue Bird earning Air Crew wings, and while the hours are long, you also get a lot of time off when other Devil Dogs are working.
                            Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                            -Big Russ

                            Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

                            Originally posted by nyckftbl
                            LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
                              CFR is a pretty sweet gig. A lot of fun, get to play Marine and Firefighter, they give you a badge to flash, get a lot of cross training opportunities, I knew guys that flew in the Rescue Bird earning Air Crew wings, and while the hours are long, you also get a lot of time off when other Devil Dogs are working.
                              Dennis,

                              CFR, in my opinion (and I'm still in it) is no longer a sweet deal. No badges allowed for some time now, at least where I've been. Cross training is limited, depending on whether your OIC is a firefighter at heart and the available manpower. The hours are still long, and often late into the night-so you're sleeping during the off duty time. Manpower is so short there are more holdovers than in the past, and manpower also affects your opportunity to get flight status. Most of the rescue birds are gone, the mission turned over to the CG. Worst of all, when deployed you are a manpower pool for the Squadron's working parties, since the majority of firefighting is contracted out in Iraq.

                              Much depends on the leadership, up to and including the AirOps Officer and the Base Commander. If they won't let you run mutual aid, you can't leave the flightline. You need a chain of command willing to let you go play, and there is too much CYA going on to allow it. Ask the guys at Miramar about why they weren't involved in the brush fires.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Hwoods,

                                Like Dennis said, his scores could have been low-ARFF/CFR requires a higher than average score, a minimum height (64"), good eyesight, and many other small variables that other MOS' do not.

                                It could have been as simple as the first choice was full and the second wasn't. If so, he may be better off. Sitting around an Air Force base for 3 months doing busy work waiting to pick up a class can be the worst thing to happen to a new Marine. I've heard a few ordies who were pretty happy with their job-they get lots of time around the fast movers and Cobras, and the pilots party hard, treat their crews well, and attract a lot of girls to the bar.

                                The ARFF MOS means nothing to FDNY (and many other large depts), beyond the veteran's points. The only place DoD certs really matter is getting a Fed job after you get out, and even then, it is difficult for Marines to chase the required certs like the AF guys can.

                                Best wishes to your cousin for a safe and productive career in the Corps. Once a Marine, Always a Marine. And welcome to our Marine Corps Family.

                                Semper fi,
                                TopV

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X