Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cgerdes97
    replied
    Just because I have an opinion about my experience in silver flag, does not default myself as joining the air force fire protection for a free ride. I have accomplished alot during my short career so far in the AF, and contrary to popular belief, not everyone separating after first term elistment are collecting certs for a DoD job. I waited 3 years to get rescue tech and I was pretty damn excited when I finally got in the class.

Unfortunately I will have to eat a piece of humble pie on this one, because Sgt Ferrara, you are correct. Even being a training exercise, we do face the possibility of responding to an emergency where eventually we might end up in our skivvys in the freezing rain. My feelings are irrelevant to the argument, however, call me a firefighter, probie, F-N-G, alarm response technician, whatever. I know my job, and I perform it well.

Leave a comment:

• kferrara2002
    replied
    AF Training a waste of time huh?

What I find amazing is the audicity whiners state saying that Air Force / DoD fire training is or was a waste of time, but who will still accept and use those received certifications when they are applying for a civilian job.

As for stripping down to your skivvies in the freezing rain or performing 2 hour drills, what do you think you may find yourself performing in a real emergency? Hmmm, maybe decon procedures where you are fully stripped of your clothing because you are exposed to some type of chemical/biological contaminate. Or maybe you have to respond and work an incident for hours at an aircraft emergency, high rise fire, or haz-mat incident. Oh that's right, I'm sorry, I forgot all emergencies occur only during the day, in the warm sunshine, and last for a few minutes, then everyone returns to the comfort of the fire station to watch TV or play XBOX. Still a probie I see! Everyone enjoys being called "firefighter" but it seems that not everyone wants to get dirty and earn that title.

It's truly sad that there are personnel out there who are willing to do anything to come into the military or any civilian fire department to be a firefighter, an asset to their community, someone that people look to for assistance, guidance, and mentorship. But what I have seen lately in both military and civilian departments are individuals who simply want a free ride, get a few certs under their belt and then seperate only to apply for a civilian job (ironically for the DoD). Don't get me wrong, the military is not for everyone. However, at the same time, don't waste my time as an instructor or the military's time and money to get a little edge in that job you want back home.

And as for decertifying someone, believe me it can be done even after you get out of the military. A phone call here, a review there, and poof, there goes your beloved cert that you thought was so secure. Your military record is with you forever and can be called into play at any time.

Leave a comment:

• ColoradoFireGuy
    replied
    I thought a bunch of my AF training was a waste of time! You can come decertify me if you'd like!

Leave a comment:

• cgerdes97
    replied
    I did write a few things down on my critique, such as stripping down to skivies in the freezing rain, or the fact that we were doing SCBA drills for 2 hours in the middle of the compound. I never harped on the instructors, I just didn't like silver flag. Rescue school is a bit different than silver flag and I had a blasty blast in school. No doubt about that.

Leave a comment:

• kferrara2002
    replied
    Silver Flag

Gerdes,

Just curious... if you thought the Silver Flag at USAFE you attended was such a waste of time, why didn't you mention it on your critique? After all, I was one of the instructors that taught you the course and never heard or saw anything mentioned. Oh, was the Rescue class a waste of time too? Maybe we can "decertify" you if you feel that way.

Leave a comment:

• Futurefiredawg
    replied
    Havent heard from you in awhile USAFSSGT. How is the class going? I heard that there was a building search, is that true? If so, what did that intail?

Leave a comment:

• USAFSSGT
    replied
    Well, I passed again. This time the real deal with full PPE and SCBA. 6:07 5 seconds slower then with the vest the first time. I was faster then all but 2 of my classmates. Damn youngins hahahaha, they only beat me by a little.

Leave a comment:

• cgerdes97
    replied
    Originally posted by SmokeEater316
    SF was a joke.

We used a structural P19 as a primary engine. I was pretty ****ed.
    Rescue was a pickup truck, heh heh.
    seriously? At least we got the P-24 and the P-30 from Rhein-Main for ours... although the P-30 would stall if you drove over 12 mph... what a pile. The medics has the CTS's van for thier ambulance for transport (and they weren't allowed to drive it 100 feet to the "CASF"... the Cadre had to drive it.) lol
    Last edited by ; 11-27-2006, 06:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SmokeEater316
    replied
    Arrr

SF was a joke.

We used a structural P19 as a primary engine. I was pretty ****ed.
    Rescue was a pickup truck, heh heh.

Leave a comment:

• cgerdes97
    replied
    They hold the european silver flag at Ramstein.
    I remember doing a ****load of exercises, the course they made us run was fairly easy, we had to do it in JFIRE, still pretty easy though. I like how they incorparated a quick search and rescue in the middle of it, it made it interesting.
    oh thats right, im sorry, you failed silver flag, huh

Leave a comment:

• cgerdes97
    replied
    I remember doing a ****load of exercises, the course they made us run was fairly easy, we had to do it in JFIRE, still pretty easy though. I like how they incorparated a quick search and rescue in the middle of it, it made it interesting.
    When did you go through it? I was there before last AEF 1/2 rotation. USAFE has spilt alot of money into it's contingency training, and now they have a nice little spot on the south side with perfect conditions for setting up a bare base. They re-wrote the lesson plans/course plan for the USAFE silver flag and our class was the "test class" for it.

Leave a comment:

• SmokeEater316
    replied
    Originally posted by THEFIRENUT
    State-side Silver Flag in Florida. Don't know what happens over in Europe.

It was tough, but a good experience.

Leave a comment:

• cgerdes97
    replied
    Originally posted by rleslie65
    Didn't have the obsticle course when I went through it, but have done it sense then at "Silver Flag" at the age of 43.

Congrats to you buddy, i would have to say i have been to silver flag 3 times in 3 different places and it was tougher then goodfellow, maby cause all 3 time i was on the rescue rig, ad we all know that is the only truck in the Af that works, lol
    ...i hope your not referring to the USAFE silver flag because that was a waste of time. i don't think it was harder than goodfellow.

Leave a comment:

• THEFIRENUT
    replied
    Originally posted by USAFSSGT
    Well, I did it today. I passed 6 mins. We only had a couple of fails. It is tough, not to mention the wind was ripping hard and it was chilly. Goodtimes.
    Congrats, SSgt. Keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• USAFSSGT
    replied
    Well, I did it today. I passed 6 mins. We only had a couple of fails. It is tough, not to mention the wind was ripping hard and it was chilly. Goodtimes.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X