Abu's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abu's

Does anyone knows what the air force is going to do with the new uniforms as for as fire department patch? I know that they said that thee would be no patches to reduce the cost to airmen, But how would firefighters be reconized being that securtiy forces has berets. Just something that I wounder about.
    ABU'S with F.D. Patch
    55.56%
    Keep current BDU's
    0.00%
    Wear plain ABU's
    0.00%
    Wear civilian F.D. uniform with rank
    44.44%

Just rumors!!!

What I have been told is both the SF and FD are fighting to keep their patches. Since these are actually "badges", I think we have a fighting chance.

On another note, at my last drill, I was told that these new uniforms would be ready for issue on October 06. But I just read an article on "AF Portal" that the first troops to receive these uniforms will be the ones being deployed to the desert. After this has been done, then they will be issued to new recruits at Lackland. Then sometime between 2007 & 2008, we can finally receive them.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

I dont know my head from my *** being I havent even made it to Goodfellow yet (13 Nov wont come soon enough). But I remember reading something about USAF FF's possibly getting nomex flight suits for wear while at the station. Any truth to this?

Comment

Nomex Suits

About the nomex suits...

I know that they tried for awhile, but haven't heard anything in years about it. The scuttlebutt was that officers didn't want "lowly" firefighters looking like them

So I guess that answers your question!!!

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

Originally posted by THEFIRENUT
          About the nomex suits...

I know that they tried for awhile, but haven't heard anything in years about it. The scuttlebutt was that officers didn't want "lowly" firefighters looking like them

So I guess that answers your question!!!
          So basically the ego's of the officer corps. denies FF's the extra protection of a nomex suit? Is that what your telling me? I would hope there is better reason then that.

Comment

Originally posted by USAFSSGT
            So basically the ego's of the officer corps. denies FF's the extra protection of a nomex suit? Is that what your telling me? I would hope there is better reason then that.
            Like I said....that is just scuttlebutt (rumor). Don't really know the truth!!! And may never know........

Comment

Nomex flight suits are not NFPA compliant uniforms. To wear them in the fire service, they would have to meet all the third party testing required to meet the standard.

Comment

I have seen USMC firefighters wear flight suits as the uniform of the day when on duty. Also, a lot of DOD departments don't require full NFPA station wear compliance as it is cost prohibitive for the civilian firefighters who only get 400.00 per year for uniform allowance. Usually the SOP will read something to the effect of "predominately natural fiber" meaning cotton or wool or a combination thereof. Besides, BDU's and even fatigues (yeah I show my age) weren't NFPA compliant either. As far as the officer corps thing; my brother is an F-16 jockey and he could care less what folks wear. Also, enlisted flight crew members also wear flight suits, so what is the difference?

Comment

I don't know what the difference is. I am just waiting for my new blue, tiger-stripped p.j.'s (I mean ABUs).

I wonder if they will be 1500 comp.?????? As we just received 1500 comp. BDUs.

Comment

the new ABUs will be 50/50 nylon/cotton blend. i haven't heard any NFPA 1500 compliant ABUs in production yet.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforce/a/abu.htm

Comment

I am anxious to get to the new ABU. I like the idea of wash and wear, and the boots seem nice as well. I spend so much time pressing and shining. Not that I dont like the look of a well pressed uniform, but it will be nice to have one less thing to deal with. As soon as there are available for purchase I will have a couple of sets. One thing I think is lame is the Air Force t-shirt, that could go. And why arent black shirts allowed anymore?

Comment

In talking with the 9 AF/USCENTAF Command Chief here at Shaw, they are going to update 36-2903 to outright prohibit the use of starch and an iron on the new uniform. I hope they stick to that. Otherwise, someone's gonna get a wild hair up their backside to start starching and ironing them and before you know it what was supposed to be just a wash and wear uniform suddenly isn't.
                        Tom Warshaw
                        Station 13 (Bethel)
                        Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Comment

From what I understand from a Marine buddy of mine they also made it part of their Reg. not to starch the uniform.

Comment

It would definitely simplify things to say the least.
                            Tom Warshaw
                            Station 13 (Bethel)
                            Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Comment

The Marine Corps regs prohibit the use of starch or sizing on the MARPAT utility (ie cammie) uniform. An iron may be used, I haven't needed to since I got mine 3 yrs ago. The uniform is far more comfortable and functional than the old BDUs. Take them out of the dryer, shake them out, and they look as good as the day you got them.

Marine FFs wear nomex flightsuits because they are more appropriate than camo utilities or the $10 blue mechanics coveralls they used to give us. They were not tested to NFPA regs, so far as I know. Flightsuits are in the Marine Corps supply system and cost less than the AF nomex cammies. It was a fight to get them and is often a fight with local commanders to keep them-especially if they are aviators. They don't like us stealing all their salutes.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X