Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full time civilian firefighter looking to join reserves

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has experience becoming an Air Force reserve (or Air National Guard) firefighter after already being a full time fire fighter?

I know that you have to test into that position and it depends on there being an opening, but let’s say that were to be the case. I know you go to basic training just like everyone else, my question would be AFTER basic training would you need to go to the A school training at Goodfellow Air Force Base? Let’s assume that I already have my IFSAC certificates in
    • Firefighter I and II
    • Hazmat awareness
    • Hazmat operations
    • Airport firefighter
    as well as national registry EMT.

I am 35 and will have the opportunity to retire earlier than I really need to, so that is why I am exploring this option of doing what I already do for my city for the country as a reservist.

Not at all opposed to doing the training for A school, just curious if that is the definite road or if my certifications mean anything. Everything I’ve been able to find on the internet says these are the same certs you earn when at Goodfellow Airforce base.

Thank you for your time!

Originally posted by MorganJ View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has experience becoming an Air Force reserve (or Air National Guard) firefighter after already being a full time fire fighter?

I know that you have to test into that position and it depends on there being an opening, but let’s say that were to be the case. I know you go to basic training just like everyone else, my question would be AFTER basic training would you need to go to the A school training at Goodfellow Air Force Base? Let’s assume that I already have my IFSAC certificates in
    • Firefighter I and II
    • Hazmat awareness
    • Hazmat operations
    • Airport firefighter
    as well as national registry EMT.

I am 35 and will have the opportunity to retire earlier than I really need to, so that is why I am exploring this option of doing what I already do for my city for the country as a reservist.

Not at all opposed to doing the training for A school, just curious if that is the definite road or if my certifications mean anything. Everything I’ve been able to find on the internet says these are the same certs you earn when at Goodfellow Airforce base.

Thank you for your time!
    Not for sure,,,

But I want to say the answer is yes you have to go to goodfellow.

Which state are you In???
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Found this, but a little old

I am currently in the Fire Academy at Goodfellow AFB and you can test out of the blocks but its only if you have IFSTA certs.

and

i think its technically possible, but hard to actually get done. my room mate had been a volunteer for 3 years prior to enlisting and had every cert we were getting except ARFF and he still had to do the entire academy.

Just if you make the jump, just decide you will go through the whole program, You will have fun!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X