Federal benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal benefits

I've been looking through the forums trying to figure out as much as I can, but I still have questions. I'm considering leaving a city dept for the federal side but would like to know more about the benefits side. Such as, how many vacation days do you typically earn in a year, what percentage do you contribute to your pension, at what percent to you retire after your 20. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

Thanks for the info.

And I'm 30.

Comment

There are several Facebook DOD Fire-oriented groups that are very active.

And in 25 years, this is the first time I have ever seen anyone want to leave a Municipal Fire Department for the Federal Fire Service. It's always the other way around.

Dont do it!!!
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

The main reason for switching is I own a house down where I was stationed that won't sell. Been renting for 5 years now and it's getting old. The dod dept down there pays more and access to the base is great for hunting fishing purposes. I understand they work an extra day a week but gotta compromise some where.

Comment

I do know you need arff to start at a gs5 position, which is why I want to figure out more about the benefit side before I go get that cert. on my own dime. As far as getting hired, yea I figure it's a long shot

Comment

I have. Huge pay cut from where I'm at. DOD is a small cut with potential to succeed what I make.

Comment

Ahhh you must be down south somewhere where the Feds pay more than Municipal FD's.....
              "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by 0331grunt View Post
                I've been looking through the forums trying to figure out as much as I can, but I still have questions. I'm considering leaving a city dept for the federal side but would like to know more about the benefits side. Such as, how many vacation days do you typically earn in a year, what percentage do you contribute to your pension, at what percent to you retire after your 20. Any information would be helpful. Thanks
                I was a federal firefighter for 3 years, prior to that I was a military firefighter for 7. I switched over to a city department.. I will answer what I remember, the information will be just estimates and will pertain to the Air Force side of things. I am not sure how close that would be to other branches, but they are all FERS positions and utilize the same pay scale, so they might be close.

Vacation: Around 7 or so hours of sick leave and 11 hours of annual leave were accrued per pay period ( I am not sure if the annual amount earned goes up with service time or not, but it prob does)

I am not sure what the percentage was per pay period we payed into FERS, but it was a nice chunk of change.. possibly 400 a check? I don't remember exactly, but it was up there. I was making around $62k at that time.

The link posted above shows how to calculate retirement. To answer your question though, after 20 years, you would retire with 34% of your high three salary. That is just the FERS component, it sucks. You will also have two more tiers, or source of income; TSP and Social Security. TSP is like a 401k that they match up to 5 percent. So if you put in 5 percent of your check, they will also put in 5 for a total of 10 percent. Social security is self explanatory, you pay into it during your career and then they give you money when you are a certain age. Since federal FF retire before they are eligible for SS, FERS supplements a certain amount until SS kicks in.

Again, this is general information and not exact. I have been gone from federal service for 4 years now, so it is not fresh in my head anymore.

Post any other questions that you may have... or PM me.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X