Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please explain to me what goes on when you apply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City depts: *I have to pay an application fee..so far I've paid 25-60 dollars to sit for the test.
    *I have to drive anywhere between 100-500 miles round trip, and when gas is $3.50 that
    can get expensive.
    *I have to make multiple trips (written, agility,polygraph)
    * often times these longer trips may require hotel rooms
    * Food, granted the dollar menu works but you don't want to be doing something when
    you are filled with grease.
    *Budget cuts, job security??

Federal Fire Dept: *I can apply from home, without using gas. FREE
    *I can obtain all my certs/training for FREE
    *My Vet status/purple heart/campaign ribbons actually mean something.
    *If I get laid off I get first shot at another job at any other base
    * I can retire in 12 years (I have 8 years federal service already)
    *I don't have to worry about eating carcinogens on a daily basis( not that I
    wouldn't mind a working fire every day, but I have to think about my family)
    * Better retirement

Umm...yea...I'll just use my GI bill and stick to getting every National Certification on the planet. DOD Fire is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
      DOD Fire is the way to go.

DOD Depts aint all they are cracked up to be.....I got out to go private sector municipal code enforcement/fire marshal......Because of a lot of the bull**** and plus the Fed FF Pay reform act of 2001 or 2002 (cant remember) with the bull**** they did with retirement really ****ed me off.....Plus if I could have I would have gotten on with the Philly FD in a heartbeat and never looked back at the DOD. Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt be where I am now without the DOD, but it aint the Cats Meow.

And Fire49, from what this kid tells me, he should have been hired onto a DOD dept a year ago. He has all the certs, has the vets points....He's just doing something wrong with his resumix, or he needs to apply at more than one installation.
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
        DOD Depts aint all they are cracked up to be.....I got out to go private sector municipal code enforcement/fire marshal......Because of a lot of the bull**** and plus the Fed FF Pay reform act of 2001 or 2002 (cant remember) with the bull**** they did with retirement really ****ed me off.....Plus if I could have I would have gotten on with the Philly FD in a heartbeat and never looked back at the DOD. Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt be where I am now without the DOD, but it aint the Cats Meow.

And Fire49, from what this kid tells me, he should have been hired onto a DOD dept a year ago. He has all the certs, has the vets points....He's just doing something wrong with his resumix, or he needs to apply at more than one installation.
        I've applied to numerous facilities in numerous states for GS-04-05-and 06. I have proboard Fire I,II IFSAC Haz Mat awareness, Ops (core, ppe,product control) EMT, NIMS 100,200,300,400,700,800, I'm a basic vehicle rescue tech in PA, I'm testing out NFPA 1006 CORE rescue this weekend, Attending the Pa state fire academy in about 3 weeks..going for instructor I in the fall...3 tours to Iraq, purple heart, campaign medals (my DD214 is 2 pages), I volunteer on an ambulance...

The Resumex might be an issue, but according to the website as of 31 May of this year granted, the first 4 or 5 jobs I applied for I didn't have the paperwork concept down but I'm on top of it now.

I'm over it..I just got really attached to that 1 job. I know what I have to do, and I'll do it.

Comment

How old are you????

are they still working 72 hour work weeks???

and once again if you looking at a flying base, check the requirements, unless they take you as a gs-3, looks like they would be wanting arff

not sure if I posted this site::

DodFire.Com Front Page

DoDFire.com

FIRE JOBS

you might also do a serach on how to fill out a fed app, I know there use to be some ticks to it, but that was before they went to computer app.

also, you might try to contact the dept you are applying at to see if you can meet with them early on so they hae a fae to put to a name, like someone said, there are plenty people out there applying for very few slots.
          Last edited by fire49; 05-09-2012, 09:02 AM.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
            How old are you????

Yes Fed FD's still do 72hr work weeks, in many variations of 24/24, 48/72 or even 48/96.

and once again if you looking at a flying base, check the requirements, unless they take you as a gs-3, looks like they would be wanting arff The post he is seriously looking at does not have an airfield.

DodFire.Com Front Page

DoDFire.com

FIRE JOBS

you might also do a serach on how to fill out a fed app, I know there use to be some ticks to it, but that was before they went to computer app.

also, you might try to contact the dept you are applying at to see if you can meet with them early on so they hae a fae to put to a name, like someone said, there are plenty people out there applying for very few slots.
            I wouldnt recommend this for the post he is considering knowing the background.
            "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
              How old are you????

and once again if you looking at a flying base, check the requirements, unless they take you as a gs-3, looks like they would be wanting arff

DodFire.Com Front Page

DoDFire.com

FIRE JOBS

I'm 27, I'm looking at anything in the GS-03-06 level, realistically, right now that is all I'm qualified for.

I was in contact with a firefighter from the base, he was relatively helpful in answering my questions since we are mutual aid for them, and they are for us most of our officers have a very good relationship with their chief/asst.chiefs.

I just need to put my nose to the grindstone and get the certifications that I need and keep plugging along.

Comment

I don't know if it interests you at all, but wildland fire is another option. Even as a seasonal position it provides time in the Federal system (won't help retirement, but does go towards your time for annual leave category), provides some more experience with the Federal system in general, and is a job at that GS 3-4 you said you are willing to start at. It is typically viewed favorably by structural fire departments for the experience since many do have wildland responses, and even those that don't recognize it as tough work.

US Forest Service, National Park Service, US Fish and Wildlife Service and Bureau of Land Management are the primary federal agencies you would want to look at, all but the BLM should have some presence in your general area. BLM is only found in 11 western states and Alaska.

I know at the US Forest Service we have had a big push to recruit and hire veterans.

It is fairly easy to move between agencies, so working for a different Federal agency can be a help to get your foot in the door where you really want to go.

Comment

BigGriffC12, I just saw this thread and am vey interested to know if you got on anywhere as I am in a similar situation. I am about to separate from active duty Navy. so I would def welcome any and all advice from someone who has gone through this process .

Comment

Originally posted by DC85 View Post
                    BigGriffC12, I just saw this thread and am vey interested to know if you got on anywhere as I am in a similar situation. I am about to separate from active duty Navy. so I would def welcome any and all advice from someone who has gone through this process .
                    Some reason you do not want to work for a city???

Were you on a carrier and assigned to flight deck firefighting??

Did you go thorugh the DOD firefighting school, not just shipboard?

Comment

FIRE5555, I am Damage controlman I did not go through the DOD academy but I have a FF1 HazmatOPS/Awarness that are ProBoard certs. as for the rest of my training it is your run of the mill DC certs Gas Free Engineer, Repair Locker Leader, Fire Marshall. I have those on my resume to show that I am competent in basic techniques and some confined space/ IDLH training but have posted my ProBoard certs first and foremost on my resume. I do plan on applying to city departments as well, I still have roughly 11 months left on my enlistment though so I am just getting into looking for jobs. trying to network early and get my name out there so that when it comes time to leave the Navy I will have a smother transition.

Comment

What state do you want to live in???

My suggestion is go for a city job.

You have a better shot than a DOD job. Air force firefighters have a better in than anyone else. And DOD normally likes you to have a lot of certs.

If you can get EMT that would help alot. At least you are on the correct road.

Comment

Im currently in CT, I just applied for a GS4 position which is the bottom of the totem pole no certs were required on the job announcement. its a big paycut, but it is a foot in the door so if offered I will def take it. thanks for the words of encouragement. im working on the EMT part as wel. I just have to keep studying up on it. im really looking anywhere around the New York Area the south east, but will apply anywhere I qualify for just to get my name out there.

Comment

Originally posted by DC85 View Post
                            Im currently in CT, I just applied for a GS4 position which is the bottom of the totem pole no certs were required on the job announcement. its a big paycut, but it is a foot in the door so if offered I will def take it. thanks for the words of encouragement. im working on the EMT part as wel. I just have to keep studying up on it. im really looking anywhere around the New York Area the south east, but will apply anywhere I qualify for just to get my name out there.
                            You do know feds still work 72 hour work weeks???

some 24 on 24 off with kelly every other week, kind of a killer, you are either coming or going.

Comment

The Federal Government is putting a lot of effort into getting veterans jobs. If you are not familiar with the program you might look here.

http://www.fedshirevets.gov/

Not specifically firefighting, but there are some firefighting jobs targeted. One example the BLM in California has organized an all veterans wildland hand crew to help veterans transition into career wildland positions. There are also some hiring appointments to make hiring veterans easier, VRA (Veterans Recruitment Authority) is one I've seen used to hire seasonal wildland firefighters.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X