Need Advice about Navy Firefighting/Medic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice about Navy Firefighting/Medic

I'm 17, and about to graduate. I want to be a Firefighter/medic, but I keep hearing that it's pretty difficult to get hired as either if you're under 21.

With that in mind, I started searching for "other" things to do untill I'm 21 or older. I started looking in to the Navy, and I found a page about Emergency, Fire, & Rescue. Apparently, that particular rating doesn't actually exist like it's advertised. I did some more looking around, and it seemed that the closest thing to that is a Damage Controlman. Is that the closest thing to being a firefighter in the Navy that exists? Also, is there a rating that's like a paramedic or emt? Because from what I've read, Damage Control isn't

If you're reading this and are/used to be a damage controlman, what'd you usually find yourself doing? Did the skills/training transfer over to civilian life, or did you have to take more classes and get more certifications to get hired? Any first-hand advice would be great!

Also, is there a way to "guarantee" that I can be a Damage Controlman? I have no idea how the enlistment process works, so if anyone can shed some light on that it'd be great.

Do not think it is what you are looking for will let someone else answer

What state are you in?

If you are able to go to paramedic school suggest that
    That will eat up some time

If you can get in air force is best service for firefighting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
      Do not think it is what you are looking for will let someone else answer

What state are you in?

If you are able to go to paramedic school suggest that
      That will eat up some time

If you can get in air force is best service for firefighting
      I'm in South Carolina. I'll look in to the air force, thanks!

Comment

look at other threads, lots of info already posted. military=air force.

Comment

They deleted a lot of threads about "Naval Firefighters." I don't have time to post answers right now, but basically there is no such thing as a Navy Firefighter. Each and every person that goes through boot camp receives basic firefighting knowledge and training. Damage Controlmen (ships company) are more thoroughly trained to some extent, and yes are shipboard firefighters, but that is not what they do exclusively.

Aviation Bosuns Mates (Fuel Handler) which are Airedales, are the crash crews on carriers, flat tops, or anything with a flight deck. Again, are trained more thorougly in firefighting and CFR, but that is not their job exclusively.

If you are serious about Military Firefighting, I strongly suggest you look into the USAF. And yes, despite what the recruiter will tell you, he CAN provide a guarantee. He will lie, steal, cheat, beg, and sell his soul to the devil to try and get you to enlist in whatever rate he was told to push that particular week, but stand firm and tell him "guarantee for Firefighting or I walk." You MUST convince him that you are deadly serious about wanting to enlist- if there is any hesitation on your part, he will not provide the guarantee. And whatever the F*&k you do, NEVER EVER sign on the dotted line without the guarantee. You may have to delay entry in order to get an available slot in the fire school.
          "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
            They deleted a lot of threads about "Naval Firefighters." I don't have time to post answers right now, but basically there is no such thing as a Navy Firefighter. Each and every person that goes through boot camp receives basic firefighting knowledge and training. Damage Controlmen (ships company) are more thoroughly trained to some extent, and yes are shipboard firefighters, but that is not what they do exclusively.

Aviation Bosuns Mates (Fuel Handler) which are Airedales, are the crash crews on carriers, flat tops, or anything with a flight deck. Again, are trained more thorougly in firefighting and CFR, but that is not their job exclusively.

If you are serious about Military Firefighting, I strongly suggest you look into the USAF. And yes, despite what the recruiter will tell you, he CAN provide a guarantee. He will lie, steal, cheat, beg, and sell his soul to the devil to try and get you to enlist in whatever rate he was told to push that particular week, but stand firm and tell him "guarantee for Firefighting or I walk." You MUST convince him that you are deadly serious about wanting to enlist- if there is any hesitation on your part, he will not provide the guarantee. And whatever the F*&k you do, NEVER EVER sign on the dotted line without the guarantee. You may have to delay entry in order to get an available slot in the fire school.
            maybe we should get a navy vs army vs air force vs marines firefighting sticky. that would seem to relieve alot of the repetitiveness.

Comment

Fwdbuff gives you some excellent advice. Let me just correct one discrepancy. Fwdbuff is incorrect in stating that the navy rate aviation boatswains mate fuels (ABF) is crash crew. The navy rate aviation boatswains mate aircraft handler (ABH) is the rate assigned the duties of crash crew. abh also goes to the DoD fire academy, unlike the damage control man (DC) rate, and no career fire department will take shipboard training as a recognized firefighting certification. As the others have stated, if you're going military, go air force for firefighting.

Good luck!

-Damien

Comment

My best friend joined the Navy as a DC to gain experience and hoped it would help him land a FF job. Instead it gave him the experience of plunging toilets and welding pipes and patches in a leaking old boat. He's a plumber now, so I guess it worked out in a way.

Comment

I know of several Vets. Who all have had different jobs in the military and with the 5 points Veteran Preference all have had as good of a chance to land a City firefighter job as the ones that were Military Firefighters!

Comment

I joined the Navy in 2006 and was gauranteed Hospital Corpsman as far as training goes no Certs you get in the Navy will transfer to civilian im currently pursuing my bachelors in fire science through AMU and had to go on my free time to get my EMT Basic, the best advice i can give you is go Air Force for Firefighting or go the route i went and join the Navy and while on your Shore rotation knock out college and volunteer at your local FD where your stationed, but if you have any Questions about Navy just shoot them my way ill be getting out in April and heading home to Clinton iowa to Hopefully get hired onto there FD as a FF/Paramedic.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

I think I'm going to go talk to an Air Force recruiter soon. I was looking at all the AFSCs, and there were several others that I was pretty interested in, so even if I can't do Fire Protection, I can do something else and (if I understood correctly) still get all my fire/emt certifications as well as a degree in something while on active duty. I think.
                      Last edited by Explorer1919; 02-08-2011, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer1919 View Post
                        Thanks for all the replies!

I think I'm going to go talk to an Air Force recruiter soon. I was looking at all the AFSCs, and there were several others that I was pretty interested in, so even if I can't do Fire Protection, I can do something else and (if I understood correctly) still get all my fire/emt certifications as well as a degree in something while on active duty. I think.
                        what afsc did you see that gives out fire certs except 3e7x1? You can get EMT from one of several medical afscs and your degree you can get regardless of what afsc you choose via af tuition assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by ShredddinCali View Post
                          what afsc did you see that gives out fire certs except 3e7x1? You can get EMT from one of several medical afscs and your degree you can get regardless of what afsc you choose via af tuition assistance.
                          I meant getting fire/emt certs "outside" of the Air Force while on active duty if I'm not able to get them from whatever afsc I end up with, which will hopefully be related to FF or EMS. Would that work, or is it just wishful thinking? =/.

Comment

Understand if you join the service they own you 24 hours a day 365 days a year, till you get out

So unless you are stateside, and can find time, and can not let the service get in the way of school, you can possibly get some school in.

it is not like a regular job where you punch out and go home after you are done, they have other stuff for you to do sometimes.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post

Understand if you join the service they own you 24 hours a day 365 days a year, till you get out

So unless you are stateside, and can find time, and can not let the service get in the way of school, you can possibly get some school in.

it is not like a regular job where you punch out and go home after you are done, they have other stuff for you to do sometimes.
                              while this is true, the air force [especially] is very pro-secondary education. as a ff in the af, i had PLENTY of time to be able to take online and resident classes, with time to spare for halo. because the education is a big part of eprs and award packages, no supervisor [in any afsc] in his/her right mind would prevent you from taking classes unless mission requirements prevent it. i was able to complete two bachelors degrees and the only reason i didn't finish my masters is because i was separating at the time and was looking for a civ job more than worrying about my education. remember though, as a new trainee out of whatever tech school you finish, your career development courses (cdcs) come first before school, so plan accordingly.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X