Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• patpeak1
    replied
    Does anyone who went to Goodfellow Fire school remember what the firedogs cadence that was said everyday going in to school and into the squadron was? Even if you can remember a little bit of it would help. I remember it starting off with, "SOUND OFF!" But that's all I can remember.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• AF_FIRE
    replied
    Originally posted by Gomezz View Post
    Thank you for all the answer, I just have one more questions. Is there anything I can do prior to enlisting to better my chances of getting a slot in the school?

Thanks Again the information is very helpful
    It works on the needs of the Air Force and slots that they have available, there is nothing you can do to better your chances. You need to get with a recruiter and tell him/her that fire is the only job you want and will have to wait for a slot to open so they can lock you in one. Once you get your slot and and our put in DEP (Delayed Entry Program) I would use that time to run and work out. Leg and upper body strength are needed the most. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• ShredddinCali
    replied
    There isn't anything you can do except what is stated above, score high enough on the ASVAB and cross your fingers that AFPC chooses you to be a 3E7 (Fire Protection). No degree, certifications, or honors will get you there any closer to the next guy that walks in an wants FP.

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• Firedawg89
    replied
    You first have to score well enough on the ASVAB test to get into the USAF, then you have to pass a Military Medical exam. There may not be any Air Force Firefighter slots when you decide to enlist. My point is a lot of people plan on joining the Air Force to become Firefighters and not everyone can be one! This is one of the reasons the job is so special.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Gomezz
    replied
    Thank you for all the answer, I just have one more questions. Is there anything I can do prior to enlisting to better my chances of getting a slot in the school?

Thanks Again the information is very helpful

Leave a comment:

• DFurtman
    replied
    Dfurtman:

So if I enlist in the Air Force as a firefighter will I defiantley be sent to Goodfellow (or another air force base with fire training) immediatley? Does the Air Force only accept a limited amount of Firefighters a year? After you complete your training are you pretty much garunteed a job as a Air Force firefighter?

Thank You
    Yes, gomezz, if you enlist as a firefighter in the af, you will go to goodfellow immediately after boot camp. Goodfellow is the only fire academy for the military. There are a limit of slots to the school, so you may have difficulty getting a slot.

If you enlist in the USAF as a firefighter, you will be working as a firefighter at the base you are assigned to, in the military. Once you get out of the military, there is no guarantee that you will have a job as a firefighter as a civilian.

-Damien

Leave a comment:

• Gomezz
    replied
    Dfurtman:

So if I enlist in the Air Force as a firefighter will I defiantley be sent to Goodfellow (or another air force base with fire training) immediatley? Does the Air Force only accept a limited amount of Firefighters a year? After you complete your training are you pretty much garunteed a job as a Air Force firefighter?

Thank You

Leave a comment:

• DFurtman
    replied
    Originally posted by Jmason66 View Post
    I have a question that a friend of mine ask me, can any of you answer it for him. How do you join the DoD as a civilian and get to goto Goodfellow Afb for the Academy?
    Do a advanced series search on usajobs.com looking for a GS-03 or a GS-04 position. You're looking for the 0081 series.

-Damien

Leave a comment:

• Jmason66
    replied
    I have a question that a friend of mine ask me, can any of you answer it for him. How do you join the DoD as a civilian and get to goto Goodfellow Afb for the Academy?

Leave a comment:

• DFurtman
    replied
    Hi, I will be graduating high school soon and am interested in the Goodfellow Air Base Fire Academy, but have a few questions. What is the age requirement? Do you have to be enlisted in the military to train there? After graduating the academy are there any leads to jobs in the fire service (civilian or military).

Thank You
    Age requirement I assume is 18, or 17 with your parents signed approval. You do not have to be in the Military, but I don't know of any federal military base that will hire some kid off the streets as a firefighter without any prior training and experience. My base does hire college kids who have their firefighter 1 and sends them to the military academy, but they only hire a limited amount per year (like 2 or 3), it's extremely competitive and there is no guarantee you will keep your job when you are done with college. My base is the only base that has this program. The only way you will go there is if you're hired by a military base and sent there or if you join the military. You have better chances by going into the military as a firefighter to go to that school than you do hoping a base hires you and sends you there without any experience. Leaving the academy as a military member will send you to a base for your enlistment. Considering how much experience, certifications and training you achieve while you're in, you may have a good shot at lining up a job after you get out of the Military, but there is no guarantee.

-Damien

Leave a comment:

• Gomezz
    replied
    Hi, I will be graduating high school soon and am interested in the Goodfellow Air Base Fire Academy, but have a few questions. What is the age requirement? Do you have to be enlisted in the military to train there? After graduating the academy are there any leads to jobs in the fire service (civilian or military).

Thank You

Leave a comment:

• tclem6314
    replied
    I am currently in the Fire Academy at Goodfellow AFB and you can test out of the blocks but its only if you have IFSTA certs.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    Originally posted by jobooth18 View Post
    i have been a civilian firefighter for two years. i am looking to join the air force. i completed one of the top academy's in the state of north carolina and a buddy from marine crash crew told me that it is possible to test out of certain blocks of the goodfellow fire academy i am just looking to see if there is any truth to his statement.. ???
    With all of two years of civilian experience, I understand that you are better than the Air Force training....

My big question, what would be the point of testing out if you could? Every class I have ever been to I learn something new.

Leave a comment:

• ridebmxnc
    replied
    Originally posted by jobooth18 View Post
    i have been a civilian firefighter for two years. i am looking to join the air force. i completed one of the top academy's in the state of north carolina and a buddy from marine crash crew told me that it is possible to test out of certain blocks of the goodfellow fire academy i am just looking to see if there is any truth to his statement.. ???

i think its technically possible, but hard to actually get done. my room mate had been a volunteer for 3 years prior to enlisting and had every cert we were getting except ARFF and he still had to do the entire academy.

Leave a comment:

• jobooth18
    replied

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X