Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting the runaround

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Getting the runaround

    As my previous thread stated, I'm set on joining the Air Force and going into fire protection. I've visited 2 recruiters now who both are giving me the same story: I have to put down 5 jobs and then I get whatever the "needs of the Air Force" wants aka going in open/general. I have searched this forum and have seen several people get guaranteed enlistment contracts for fire protection. I keep getting told that there is no way this is possible. Can anyone help me out and give me some direction? Possibly put me in contact with a recruiter that can help me? (Socal area).

    Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    Would first go back and tell them you want FF only and you will sign on the spot

    If that does not work then suggest you call a recuiter till you find one that will


    What I see on the postings is that you may have to wait before you get an opening
    If you are willing to wait
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

    Comment


    • #3
      I am not sure if it works the same way, I went to meps in 2002. Recruiter gave me the same run around, told him sure whatever, because u actually signed for the job at meps.

      When i finally got to meps, I pretty much just told the meps recruiter that all i wanted was fire, and if nothing was available at the moment to put me on the qualified and waiting list and walked out of the office. 20 minutes later, he called me in and said I leave to boot camp in 8 weeks.

      Like I said, not sure if it still works like that, but its worth a shot. Get to meps and be stern.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bananarama View Post
        I keep getting told that there is no way this is possible. Can anyone help me out and give me some direction?
        You know how a recruiter is lying? Their lips are moving. That being said, it helps to have a basic understanding of how they work.

        Recruitment Command receives a list every so often from the Pentagon resources weenies who are in charge of assigning people to positions that need to be filled. Recruitment Command then sends out these lists to recruitment offices everywhere with instructions to "push these rates."

        In plain english: The recruiters are going to try to get you to sign for a rate that they have received instructions to push.

        Yes, it is possible to get a written guarantee. Do not sign anything until you have one in your hands, with the recruiters signature.

        Go back and see the recruiters. Make sure you have your balls in your crotch, and eat a bowl of Wheaties for breakfast. Stand tall and firm, and advise them that it's FIREFIGHTER or nothing and you want it IN WRITING. When they give you the song and dance, say this: "Look, why don't you just stop wasting both of our times, you and I both know you can issue the guarantee." And if he/she gives you another song and dance, state in a clear voice "Ok, I am tired of dealing with you. I'll go see what the Marine Corps can do for me." And turn around to walk out. They will stop you before you get to the door and will work the deal for you.
        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

        Comment


        • #5
          I am in the exact same position you are in. Have already been to 2 recruiters asking for Fire Protection guaranteed in my contract in writing, both have told me its not possible and you have to list 5-7 jobs.
          I am lucky and live in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis & St. Paul, MN) with a ton of suburbs around. I made a list of a total of 9 other AF recruiting offices all within 45 minutes of where I live, I plan on calling them all tomorrow and telling them I will sign today if you can get me Fire Protection guaranteed in writing, in my contract. That's the only way I will sign with the AF, so we'll see how that goes.

          Thanks for the advice fellas, best of luck to you bananarama, hope we both get what we want. Keep me updated on what you find, I'll do the same!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by USAFfiredog View Post
            I am not sure if it works the same way, I went to meps in 2002. Recruiter gave me the same run around, told him sure whatever, because u actually signed for the job at meps.

            When i finally got to meps, I pretty much just told the meps recruiter that all i wanted was fire, and if nothing was available at the moment to put me on the qualified and waiting list and walked out of the office. 20 minutes later, he called me in and said I leave to boot camp in 8 weeks.

            Like I said, not sure if it still works like that, but its worth a shot. Get to meps and be stern.
            I did that 25 years ago when I first enlisted and it worked then. I re-enlisted in 2008, pulled the same walk-out routine, and didn't make it to the door before they called my back with my job of choice.

            Comment


            • #7
              I am also looking to embark on an enlistment in most likely the Air Force in the very near future. Anyone on here do fire protection in AF? How is it? I have spoken to friends in the Navy who say the Firefighter gigs suck because you drill, then clean the ship all day.
              FDNY Exam 2000
              Score:109
              List # XX

              Comment


              • #8
                Air force only way to go for firefighter job
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

                Comment


                • #9
                  Firefighter

                  The saying goes "everything is done in the best interests of the government".

                  If you want the Firefighter position in the Air Force, you need to tell this to the recruiter and do not back down.

                  The recruiter has certain positions to fill and he is looking for bodies to put in those positions.

                  Looking for a different recruiter is a sensible idea. Shop around until you get what you want.

                  Good luck in your endeavors!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Desire4theJob View Post
                    I am also looking to embark on an enlistment in most likely the Air Force in the very near future. Anyone on here do fire protection in AF? How is it? I have spoken to friends in the Navy who say the Firefighter gigs suck because you drill, then clean the ship all day.
                    There is no such thing as a "Firefighter" in the Navy.
                    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                      I did that 25 years ago when I first enlisted and it worked then. I re-enlisted in 2008, pulled the same walk-out routine, and didn't make it to the door before they called my back with my job of choice.
                      SRT and FireDog: So should I just not pay any attention to what the recruiter says and make it sound as if I am going to the MEPS to list 4-5 jobs like your "suppose to." And then once the day is over and I meet with my Job Classifier should I tell him/her I want Fire Protection guaranteed or I am not signing today. If you dont have anything today can you put me on a waiting list and call me when you do have an opening? Or should I do what I had orginially palnned, calling 10 local recruiters (however many it takes) and telling them that I will sign today if you can get me Fire Protection guaranteed? PLEASE HELP! I really want AF FF and nothing else.

                      Thanks fellas

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by FF173 View Post
                        SRT and FireDog: So should I just not pay any attention to what the recruiter says and make it sound as if I am going to the MEPS to list 4-5 jobs like your "suppose to." And then once the day is over and I meet with my Job Classifier should I tell him/her I want Fire Protection guaranteed or I am not signing today. If you dont have anything today can you put me on a waiting list and call me when you do have an opening? Or should I do what I had orginially palnned, calling 10 local recruiters (however many it takes) and telling them that I will sign today if you can get me Fire Protection guaranteed? PLEASE HELP! I really want AF FF and nothing else.

                        Thanks fellas
                        I would do some recruiter shopping first. Plus, wait to the end of the month when their quotas are due. It would be best in the long run to have a straight forward deal from the start, but remember, its the contract you sign at MEPS that is the big deal.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                          I would do some recruiter shopping first. Plus, wait to the end of the month when their quotas are due. It would be best in the long run to have a straight forward deal from the start, but remember, its the contract you sign at MEPS that is the big deal.
                          So should I..
                          Tell the recruiter on the phone when I call to set up a meeting date I want Fire Protection or nothing? And if you can get it guaranteed for me I'll sign today?

                          Wait until we meet and tell him then? And if he can't get it for me walk out?

                          Or go through the whole process blah blah blah say I'll pick 4-5 jobs, go to the MEPS, and then tell the job classifier I want Fire Protection or I'm not signing today? And if nothing, walk out?

                          Sorry for the 20 questions here, I just want to get this right and want this guarantee more than anything!!

                          Thanks a ton for your help. Truly appreciated.
                          Last edited by FF173; 10-08-2010, 12:50 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by FF173 View Post
                            So what should I say to the recruiters when I call them? Should I tell them straight up I want Fire Protection or nothing? Or should I wait until I actually meet with them at their office, then tell them fire proteciton or nothing? If they cant get it for me walk out?
                            Sorry for the 100 questions, I just want to get this right and get this damn guarantee.
                            Thanks
                            Stick to your guns and be up front with them. They might give you the run around initially because, as mentioned, their priority is to get you to sign for a "wanted" position. As the month or quarter comes to a close and they need to get their stats up, they'll want to get you signed no matter what.

                            Just make it VERY clear that your interested in fire fighting or nothing. Don't even entertain them with the spiel about all the other wonderful jobs they have available.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Alright thank you for the information. I will call them and from the very first phone call to make the first meeting all the way until I'm sitting down with that Job Classifier at the MEPS I will say nothing but Fire Protection guaranteed.

                              Thanks fellas. I'm gonna have to "eat my wheaties that morning" as I read from someone on here and tell the recruiter that all I want is Fire Protection.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X