• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doublej986
    replied
    Ohioan here!

Originally posted by EdShanks
    Hey, where in Ohio are you? I'm over here on the eastern edge.

I'm on a career department, and we're not all that busy, fire-wise. had a little over 3400 emergency calls last year in the department (3 stations) and I'll bet 3/4 of them were medical. If you don't keep up with your firefighting, being on a slow department, fire-wise, you'll get rusty and forget your training. Even just reading and reviewing, once you've got the training down, will help, because it keeps the procedures fresh in your mind.

Good luck! (and BTW, I'm 50, with a total of 24 years in the fire service! Don't let 'em tell you 48 is old! You're just getting started!!)
    Hey EdShanks, I'm from SouthEast Ohio. Ever been to Marietta?

Leave a comment:

• enginegirl1
    replied
    thanks!

Thanks LM, so excited. We've been spending time at the station learning the apparatus. Still no fires since we joined, very quiet week out here! Stay Safe.

Leave a comment:

• LouisianaMedic
    replied
    Congrats enginegirl1 - Stay safe....

Leave a comment:

• engine139
    replied
    welcome to the forum. I joined yesterday.

'Hamptons Fire is a New York based Blog that features firefighter news, Hot Shots from jobs and training, and resources for firefighter links and equipment. We are also the nets largest source for firefighter video.'

Leave a comment:

• enginegirl1
    replied
    thanks!

Thanks FireNut!! They called us up to the firehouse last night and we both got our gear. They spent about 3 hours talking with us and showing us the apparatus. They were very welcoming to us and we are PUMPED!!

I agree, this is a great thing to share as a couple. No one feels left out.

So have 120 day probations and then they're putting us both through FF1. I have my volley certificate but as we all know that's just enough to get into trouble. :-0 Also my day job is paying for my EMT-B, I have First Responder already.

We can learn a lot from these folks - they all have many years in and we are green as grass. :-)

Thanks again for the encouragement!! Stay Safe.
    Best wishes,
    Amy in Marathon, Ohio

Leave a comment:

• THEFIRENUT
    replied
    Congratulations enginegirl1!!!!

I have noticed a lot of spouse teams in the volunteer fire service. It is a great thing to experience together. Take care and stay safe!!

Leave a comment:

• enginegirl1
    replied
    got the call

Hi, got some happy news. The township fire & rescue is taking me on and I get my gear tomorrow night. They are also setting up an interview with my husband. It's all in the family now. We are all volunteer. I am very excited especially at this age.

I just got back from running on my lunch hour. Got to stay in shape so I can do a good job. Very happy to be joining all of you. Stay Safe.

Leave a comment:

• enginegirl1
    replied
    thanks

Jason, you're very kind to say that. I hope you have a long happy career in the fire service. I wish I had found this work sooner, but better late than never. :-)

Leave a comment:

• firefighter105
    replied
    welcome

Welcome aboard engine girl. I am a youngin, but don't let them tell you 48 is old. It is not. Carry on and keep up the good work.

Jason

Leave a comment:

• enginegirl1
    replied
    :-)

Thanks LM, now THAT'S encouraging! I hope I can do this for a long time too. This week the local dept has their monthly meeting - hope I hear something soon. You and your Dad keep safe.

Leave a comment:

• LouisianaMedic
    replied
    my father still doing it and he's 64..

Leave a comment:

• enginegirl1
    replied
    Hi and thanks!

Hey Ed, I'm in the SW about 35 miles E of Cincinnati, rural area. LOL on the age encouragement - thanks for the kind words, especially saying that I'm "just getting started." That's great to hear! So if you are still having fun and feeling good at 50, there's room in the fire service for all of us in our 40's, 50's and even 60's as long as we keep working out, eating right, and being able to do the job.

Also I agree with you on keeping up on the skills. I'm on the fire team at work, but we never have a fire. I can't wait to hear from the local fire dept so I can get some real experience. You're right, though - even here most of the calls are medical. I'm just completing First Responder and my work will pay for me to get EMT-B.

In the meantime on the fire skills, these live burn days and studying will have to do.

Good luck to you too, and thanks again for the encouragement!

Leave a comment:

• EdShanks
    replied
    Originally posted by enginegirl

In the meantime I signed up for another live burn next month, got to keep those skills going.

This is a great site. Keep safe.
    Hey, where in Ohio are you? I'm over here on the eastern edge.

I'm on a career department, and we're not all that busy, fire-wise. had a little over 3400 emergency calls last year in the department (3 stations) and I'll bet 3/4 of them were medical. If you don't keep up with your firefighting, being on a slow department, fire-wise, you'll get rusty and forget your training. Even just reading and reviewing, once you've got the training down, will help, because it keeps the procedures fresh in your mind.

Good luck! (and BTW, I'm 50, with a total of 24 years in the fire service! Don't let 'em tell you 48 is old! You're just getting started!!)

Leave a comment:

• ndvfdff33
    replied
    Welcome aboard enginegirl....I hope you enjoy your time with us

Leave a comment:

• enginegirl
    replied
    hi and thanks

Hi LouisianaFireNut, thank you for the kind words. Actually I like aging, this age is good. I still didn't hear from the firehouse - I called up there tonight and they said the chief has my application and the monthly meeting is next week. I am on pins and needles.

In the meantime I signed up for another live burn next month, got to keep those skills going.

This is a great site. Keep safe.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X