Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a non-firefighter, too (but firefighters rock)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a non-firefighter, too (but firefighters rock)

Hi there. I was a dispatcher at an ambulance corps for a bit, but now I'm an Explorer at an ambulance corps. I plan on taking the EMT class next January. I am really looking forward to becoming involved with EMS; from what I've seen of it so far, I really like it. I do have a question though: it is normal to be sort of 'excluded' by fellow corps members? I wonder if I sort of have to 'prove' myself. Just curious. Anyway, I am looking forward to posting on this forum. Take care, everyone! Catrina

Welcome Catrina,

It sometimes happens that a new person "feels" or "is" excluded. It's usually not entended, but it sometimes happens none the less. Just keep showing up, and once you've been around a while, you'll be one of the family before ya know it. Good luck with your EMT class.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Comment

Catrina, some people need a little time to learn who you are & what you're all about. Many in this field are extroverted and have no problem pulling you right in, but others might be more reserved until figuring out what kind of person you are. While I know this is very generalized of me, I have noticed the fire service being more of a comraderie than straight EMS, and I honestly don't know what would make that so. If others have seen this, I would certainly love to hear their angles too. Welcome to a very rewarding field. We all wish you the best of luck. Keep us updated with things you do!
      ~Kevin
      Firefighter/Paramedic
      --^v--^v--^v--^v--
      Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
      Dennis Miller

Comment

Hey...What about us EMTs?...

Catrina,

Very nice too meet you. I am 19 years old and I am an EMT-1D in California. Good luck with your EMT class, and don't worry about fitting in. It will come in time and soon you'll be the newbie in the "Family". I know how it feels to think you were being excluded. Keep us all updated on how the EMT class goes, and welcome to the Firehouse Family.
        Bruce Baker

Medic Student, EMT-I, EMT-I instructor, Haz-Mat FRO

Fraternal Order Of Paramedics Society Member

R.I.P. 343, 9/11/01, God Bless America.
        "ALWAYS REMEMBER, NEVER FORGET!"

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks, folks, for your encouraging words. What you have said makes sense to me. I'll hang in there, and try not to worry about it too much. Take care, Catrina

Comment

Welcome!

Hello Catrina, I'm Paul a 19 year old firefighter/emt. I love every minute of it, if you have anys q's just let me know and if u just want to talk.
            When I am called to duty, God Whenever flames may rage, Give me the strength to save some life Whatever be its age, Help me embrace a little child Before it is too late Or save an older person from The horror of that fate Enable me to be alert and Hear the weakest shout
            And quickly and efficiently To put the fire out I want to fill my calling and
            To give the best in me, To guard my every neighbor and Protect his property
            And if according to my fate I am to lose my life, Please bless with your
            protecting hand My children and my wife.

Comment

hey catrina, im Jaime a 17 y/o explorer from nh. im going to be a firefighter in the near future. welcome to the forums. like others have said, if you have any questions, just ask and someone will answer it.
              Jaime
              No longer an explorer-
              Currently Keene State College Class of 2008
              KEENE STATE RUGBY #5!!!
              I shed blood for my ruggers.
              <forever ruggers, forever sisters>
              www.kscwrfc.org

All gave some, some gave all. Gone but not forgotten. 9/11/01

Comment

Hello and welcome to the Firehouse Forums and good luck with everything.
                NEVER FORGET!
                9/11/01

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...