This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• makes no sense

curious if any one out there has dealt with trying to get rid of late night non emergency transportation. I work for a relatively small department that does 24 hr transports....problem is after being up for 16-17 hours and sleeping for 1-2 hours, does it make sense to put 2 fireman and a member of the community in an ambulance and send them on a 3 hour round trip. It is soon to become an issue with my dept and it has nothing to do with laziness, just plain stupidness. Has anyone dealt with a similar issue???

I guess I'm confused......... 24 hour transports? I thought every fire department ran 24 hours a day......... As far as the sleep deal...... what if it was for a fire? Maybe I'm just confused..... Can you explain better?
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Comment

Never heard of an agency...volunteer or career, private or public that only provided EMS Transports whenit was convenient for the agency.

Do you charge for Transports? If so, that is your money maker. If not then perhaps you should explore "fee for service."

If you are up for 17 hours and sleep for 2 that make 19 hours. What is going on the other 5 hours of the day?

Now...do I agree with tieing up the only transport unit you have on calls that take you out of the area for several hours and leave you unprotected? No...I do not. Do I like to get up for senseless calls in the middle of the night? No...I do not. Do I do it?.... Yep...sure do, several times a shift. Do I think it is an abuse of the EMS System? Yes...I sure do. If you are in the EMS Transport business you need more than one unit and you can not pick and chose calls between emergencies and non emergencies. How many units do you have for transport?

Are you a municipal Department (paid) or volunteer? How many of these calls occur during the "sleep hours" and is that number consistent from day to day. Is there a private ambulance service that your dispatch can refer calls to for non emergencies? And...To echo somene else's question: Do you grip about getting up for fire calls at night?

My experience has been that it is not necessarily the fault of the facility that the call is at 3AM.... More so it is the fault of the Doctor. The staff will routinely say the onset of the problem was in the afternoon, but it took XXX hours to get "orders from the doctor."
      09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
      ------------------------------
      IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
      "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
      BMI Investigator
      ------------------------------
      The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

While I know it's rather unorthodox for a municipal service to do non-emergency transports, even TO the hospital. I did know of a service here in NH that was doing ALL of the non-emergency transfers out of its resource hospital for a while, and it staffed a transfer truck during the day for those calls. What happened at night is the 24-hour crew would bring the little old lady back to the nursing home or whatever. Many people had issues with town-funded equipment being used for profit. I hadn't heard of any others until this posting. Hope we learn more about it! Take care
        ~Kevin
        Firefighter/Paramedic
        --^v--^v--^v--^v--
        Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
        Dennis Miller

Comment

I appreciate the responses so far. this is not going to be a simple problem to solve. Let me try to answer many of the questions and give a better picture. I work for a fire district....5 elected commisioners. It is a fully paid and iaff union dept. 1 chief,1 asst chief, 1 training officer, 4 stations...1 heavy duty rescue and 1 engine at each station....all trucks are als...we are currently in the process of getting 5 ff on each engine..avg response is 4-5 min,,,,,blah...blah...blah...It is basically a very good dept with issues like any other dept in america. The issue i posted here was discussing non emergency transports, particularly those after 8 pm...no im not crying about running emergency calls or really doing transports in general...My issue is this, we work 24 hr shifts as most fd do..most ff are up at 6am to be at work at 8 am. If you are at a semi busy station and u run 10 calls during the day and stay busy till say midnight. Does it make any sense to wake you up at say 2 am and put you/your partner and a citizen in an ambulance and send you on a 3-3.5 hr transport. Ill do the math for you...up for 18 hrs down for 2 and be expected to safely do this transport. There really is only 1 answer to this question, but it obviously is wrapped up with other issues, mainly money. Personally i dont feel we should being doing transports at all after hours....takes resources away that are all ready limited. I feel we should put a non emergency transport truck in service to do these non emergency transports and that truck also could take that 3 am high fever call or any other non emergency call that may come in after 8pm....It simpley is a safety issue that will be coming in front of a committee soon. I am looking for suggestions from those of you who may have went through something similar.....thanks...

Comment

If you are at a semi busy station and u run 10 calls during the day and stay busy till say midnight. Does it make any sense to wake you up at say 2 am and put you/your partner and a citizen in an ambulance and send you on a 3-3.5 hr transport.
            So according to your logic, you shouldn't be "bothered" at 0300 for a structure fire either, because you may be tied up for 3-3.5 hours with citizens, and fellow firefighters' lives that are endangered. And likewise, you shouldn't be bothered at 0300 for a serious MVA with heavy entrapment.

PLease...........

It's the nature of the business when you work 24 hour shifts. You act like you are the only people doing this. If you don't like it or don't feel you can do the job after being up for long periods, you best get out now. Everyone else is doing it when you wotk 24 hour shifts. If you all honestly feel that you can't do the job safely, maybe you should look at changing the hours of your shifts. My personal opinion is........ suck it up!!

Personally i dont feel we should being doing transports at all after hours....takes resources away that are all ready limited.
            What's the difference if it is after hours or during the day???????? You're still taking a crew out of service......
            The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
            We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
            IACOJ

Comment

Although it be a proffesion to many of you folks that get paid, it is still a job. Many out there that would give their first born for the job. But FR77 said it honestly. What if the bells went off for a structure fire, mva, or some other adrenaline call. Would we complain then, or just go and do it.

Yep them there late calls really do bite the butt. I do not like them either, nor do most of us. Truth is, sometimes it is an emergency to someone, and someone needs our help, regardless of the extent, they need us to help them out. Probably should think about those 3 am calls when the levy comes up again, or when you need donations.

I do not have a 24 hour schedule. I am volly. But the truth is, after 12 hours at my job, I have been pretty busy at the station for meetings and trainings, and calls. Just get home and that funny looking gray thing starts maiking noise. Got get up and see who needs me. Tired, you bet. But then I always wondered who would take care of my at that time if they needed someone.

Don't want to do it, then give them the job back and let someone take it that really wants it.

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Why are truck drivers restricted to driving xx hours a day but Fire/EMS routinely run 20 Hr on the road days?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X