This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from chicagoland

I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm a full-time fire/medic with the Downers Grove Fire Department, west of the city, IAFF local 3234. Drop me a line if you wanna know about my department.
    Last edited by fyremedic253; 08-08-2003, 11:28 AM.

Welcome to the forums
    Engine 101
    The Pride of Old Town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeU8-8xSvMU

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h155/Seagrave7/

Comment

Hey Fyremedic! I just moved from Downer Grove about a year ago! In fact my in laws are still there and a retired Chief lives right across the street from their house. Everytime you guys go by you honk or signal ( I think that's real nice!)Currently I am on a volunteer FD but I am #7 on teh Ft list for a dept that I would really like to get on.
      Stay Safe!
      Jennifer W.
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯

Comment

frey! i live in Lisle im your neighbor i would love to hear about your dept and how things work out here in the burbs (i want to be a firefighter soooo bad but getting started and applying to places and everything.. very intimidating ya know?) any suggestions? do fire depts here allow people to come by and just look and ask questions???

Comment

to ilwannabe21

Well, what I did was go to EMT-B school at COD, costs about $300, and is a few months long. Then you can do 1 of 2 things. Find a department that is willing to send you to an academy for your firefighter II, or go tp paramedic school. Is this something you want to do as a side job, or for your life? It might make a difference on how to go about getting your liscence and certifications. Let me know. And yes, most departments, Lisle-Woodridge is one of them, that will let you come over and ask questions and stuff. I's just call ahead of time and set an appointment to go. Let me know if this helps at all.
          Zig

Comment

Hey im looking to do this for a life long career...however i am trained to work on cars. my hope was to become a firefighter and do it for like 6-7 years then with the spare time i wanted to open my own shop. since i would have family helping me (my brother works on cars as well) he could just work when i didnt and so on and so forth. i start my new job at good sam hospital on sept 15th then i will register for school. after that i was wanting to see if i could go to firefighter academy so i can get enough active time from there continue to go to school to get promotions.. after a while stop school and open my shop.. make sense??? lemme know if you have any other advise thanks!
            Brandon

Comment

Illinois rocks

My Dad lives in D.G. but his F.D. is actually Dar-Wood.
              IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

to ilwannabe21

Going by what you're looking for, I'd contact Westmont Fire Department. For what you're looking for, a part-time department would probably fit best. They still work 24 on 48 off, but they're not union, pay by the hour, and if I'm not mistaken, they offer their own academy. Now, if you decide you want to make a career out of it, ie, full-time, you can test into the other area departments. Keep a look out in the classified ads, some will advertise when they have a test comming up. However, most require you to be a certified Firefighter 2 and Paramedic by time of hire, or during some point of your probation. I hope this helps, and good luck. By the way, you could be a full-time firefighter AND run a shop full time. Plenty of guys I know have their own companies that they do on their off time.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X