This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie...yadda yadda yadda...etc etc.

Greetings! I've been lurking around this site for about a year now, and finally decided to register mainly because I'm in a couple of classes now and my career as an EMT is finally taking off.

So far, I have CPR, HAZMAT First Responder, EVOC Class 5 (or 3, or whatever the highest class is in your state)

I'm currently working on extrication (finish that Tuesday night) and my EMT-B class ends September 18th. I was hired yesterday by Richmond Ambulance as a worker in the make-ready room, and with the promise that I'll be going to the streets as soon as I finish my EMT-B. I've been volunteering in a large volly rescue squad in my area for the past 3 years. I've been very fortunate enough to be in an area where we have a lot of really awesome stuff to work with so when I go to Richmond Ambulance and some day to a really major city organization, I'll be ready to roll!

My final goal is to either be a firefighter-paramedic in a large city (I'm thinking Miami, NY, LA, Atlanta, etc.) or just stick around here as a firefighter-paramedic and join the MedFlight crew.

This is a major point in my life, as I've been faced with the choice between Aerospace Engineering, or saving lives. Amazingly (or maybe not...), I'm going for saving lives instead of making $150,000+ a year as an aerospace engineer. Saving lives and making people happy when they are sad or in need of someone to talk to is where my heart is. As long as I make enough money to get my kids into college, put food on the table, go on the occasional vacation, I'm good to go. I'll get all my happiness not from money, but from the "thank you" I get after dropping a patient off at a hospital, knowing they'll be ok or at least have a fighting chance. Well, I'll get my happiness from that and from my wife and kids when I get them some day.

Glad to be among a great family where all we do is save lives and brighten people's days.

Ya know, there's all kinds of people out there who find fulfillment in fire/ems if only with volunteering or call departments. Whether you go full time, part time, or volunteer, you'll be making a difference in the world of emergency services. It's great to know this field isn't a dying breed. Take care, and good luck!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Comment

Welcome to the firehouse forums,hope you learn a lot.

Comment

Welcome to firehouse forums
        Engine 101
        The Pride of Old Town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeU8-8xSvMU

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h155/Seagrave7/

Comment

Hi,
          Welcome to the firehouse. I'm a newbie here too and although I'm not an active ff'er at the moment (I was for 3 years until I relocated) . I was volly/poc and was not in it for the money either..I don't think any of us are. Instead we are more interested in helping people and getting a thank you for a job well done and taking pride in knowing that we have done some good in someone else's life. Congratulations on your career choice and stay safe!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X