This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and interested in firefighting!!!

Hello all my name is Justin and I am a Marine Sgt serving in Kinshasa, Congo as security for the American Embassy. I am interested in learning all I can about maybe becoming a firefighter once my contract is up. Not sure yet if I will get out but always good to start the planning. Anyways I am hoping to get input from friends and family of firefighters as well as them selves. Info on how to become, training, life of, experiences, advice, and anything that might come to mind. If you know of a place to look up info or if this is not the place to be let me know. Thank you for your time...

Semper Fi.
    Justin

Welcome to firehouse fourms Justin, If you have any questions about to get started in firefighting just ask lots of people here will help you

Stay safe and welcome
    Engine 101
    The Pride of Old Town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeU8-8xSvMU

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h155/Seagrave7/

Comment

Thank you. I posted a thread in the EMS section with some questions. They were mainly about where to start, training needed, college needed, where to look, and anything else that might come to mind. If I get out of the Corps I want to do something worth while...

Justin

Comment

When is your contract up?

Comment

Well my current contract is up in Jan. 2005 so just around the corner. That is why I am starting to look now what it is I need to do...

Justin

Comment

I looked up some stuff about my state, OR, and found out that in Portland they offer firefighter trainee program which entails:

Our Trainee Program is a stepping stone into our regular Fire Fighter Program. It consists of a comprehensive eight week training cycle located at our Training Center. As a student you will earn your Emergency Medical Technician Basic (EMT-B) State certification, which you need to get hired as a Portland Firefighter; you will also get hands-on experience with the tools of the trade, and advance your physical abilities to the strenuous fitness level required. If you are successful, you will then be considered for an appointment into our Firefighter Program.

I think I am going to look into this. What do you think...

Justin

Comment

Well I got in touch with a couple af FD's back in Oregon and boy do I have my work cut out for me. Thats ok though cause I am ready for it. From what I gather I should go to the local college and take the dual degree in EMS/SFS (structural fire science), along with maybe volly for the local FD. Being that I am overseas right now and for the next 1 1/2 I am getting in touch with the college to see what I can do for that degree at a distance. I cant wait to get the reply. Anyways I hope this sounds good and works out for me...

Justin

Comment

Do you just want to work in OR?

Comment

I dont think I would have to work only in OR I was just thinking that cause that is where I am from and college fees would be in state... why you offering me training schooling and a job...lol

Justin

Comment

Welcome to the firehouse forums!

Comment

WELCOME
                      Jeremy (bigj164019) - FireFighter-I/Paramedic
                      Fraternal Order of Paramedics Society
                      Member Firehouse.com I.A.C.O.J. EMS Bureau

"Live for today, because yesterdays are over, and tomorrows may never come"!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X