New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy

New guy here. I'm in my 20's, work in IT, and I've decided that after a long period of searching/praying/taking tests, I'm going to become a Firefighter.

I've been putting together a list of the things I need to do first, like get my CPR card, then enroll in an EMT class, start a really good workout program, do some volunteer work, etc.

Any advice or hints would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Gambit7; 08-24-2010, 12:44 PM.

Number one.... Visit this site often and participate.

If your planning to go career, many departments select candidates with military service backgrounds (as they should) or have some college fire service credits.

Other than that, I would find the department you want to be associated with, call them and find out about their selection process. Definitely get in shape because they are going to be tough about that.

Now you could begin by applying to a volunteer department that has a history of being a pipeline for career departments. Often they are in suburb areas.

There is a thread section here devoted to career firefighting. Hanging out there would be advisable.

Good Luck

Comment

Thanks Jam. I'm gonna go check out the career area and do some searches for fitness/workout related posts.

A close friend of mine is the son of someone who helps run the physical tests for a local Fire Department, so I'm getting in contact with her to find out more about the requirements and any ideas she might have for preparation.

I don't have any military background, but I do plan to take some fire science classes or something similar. A local college also has a volunteer firefighter training program that is really pretty cheap and looks interesting.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hey New Guy!
        Thanks for joining the forum. If there's any advice I could give you it's follow your dreams and they will pan out. It takes a lot of dedication to become a firefighter. Take all tests you can and become a volunteer to get free training and some experience.
        Keep your nose in these forums you'll learn a lot.
        Mike Donahue
        Specialized Rescue Forum Moderator
        "Training Prepares You...For Moments That Define You

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement Mike. I've been making a list of the local Fire Departments with volunteer programs and Citizen's Fire Academy programs. I'm looking forward to the learning experiences and the challenges along the road that I'll face.

Thanks.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X