Old Man, New Fire Fighter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Man, New Fire Fighter.

Just wanted to post something, since I have read so much on this site.

I am 32, married, was in the Marine Corps Reserve for 6 years, and I own a lumber company, etc. 10 years ago, I was a Deputy Sheriff. I got out of Law Enforcement and tried my hand at being a lumber broker. Long story short, working out of the house has allowed us to move multiple times for my wife's career advancements. We moved here to MS last year and once we bought our house, I noticed there was a volunteer fire department in my area.

I checked it out, joined, and was hooked faster than I could blink. I have been a volunteer since January of this year. I have enjoyed the fire service so much, I tested with a large local city department here. I was leary, felt old, but knew this was my calling.

Another long story short, after the physical, written, orals, and background, I am #1 on the list. I got the call last week informing me that I have a sit down interview with the Fire Chief. I have met several volunteers over the months who were also city firefighters and they are all telling me that if you get a chief's interview, you have the job. I am extremely excited, and crossing my fingers.

Also, shout out to Captain Bob. I picked up his stuff to help prepare, and I know it really aided in my bringing my best to all of the areas of the testing process.

Josh

Congrats Josh. 32 sounds like a great age to join as membership. Newbies at your age generally commit and stay as active firefighters.

Remember to not let your business logic get in the way of department operations. I went though it and eventually saw if from the departments point of view. Remember to be a good little indian and do not with two years in begin acting like someone who has twenty-two years in. It happens and I am just making you aware of it. You knew what your salary meant in profit dollars. Most do not. That understanding can help you and can hurt you. you will understand later on.

I recommend you visit here often for confirmation of proper department conduct. Keep your certifications current and stay safe.

Comment

Thank you for the words. Very good information in there. Yup. I know my place, and I have no problem with that. I am lucky in that my wife is very successful as a engineer, so the big cut in pay and change in salary is absolutely a non-issue. I truly get to do what I love, and don't have to worry too much about bills. Win/Win situation. I will try and beat in my head to still remember my place with a few years in. Thank you again for your post.

--Josh

Comment

Quick Update: I was hired today by the Meridian Fire Department. Still in a bit of a daze, but it has been a great day! Friday I have a meeting with all of the other new hires, and we get our assignments and further details. Someone pinch me.

--Josh

Comment

Good luck Josh! and thanks for serving our country!
          Mike Donahue
          Specialized Rescue Forum Moderator
          "Training Prepares You...For Moments That Define You

Comment

Thought I would throw another update up. I graduate the fire academy a week from this Friday and I am very excited to get back to my shift and really start working hard. So much to learn!

Comment

Congrats, Josh! I'm a 39 year old woman who just found out her husband is being transferred to Colorado Springs! I'm a detention deputy with the county, and need a new job, but I'm tired of corrections and police work. I feel like we're in the same boat. It helps me to hear about your success with your new-found career. BTW, are you in Meridian, Idaho? I'm in Mountain Home.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X