Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Red Cross Beware!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Cross Beware!!

All,

Recently the American Red Cross has joined the fire service to install smoke detectors. On the surface this is a good thing, however they are skillfully utilizing the media to capitalize on this to the detriment of the fire service. First they are performing a duty the fire service should have been doing all along and filled the void - but that is for another forum.

We have got to start working with the media and controlling the ARC and their media releases. What the public sees and reads tells they what their fire service is doing for them in relation to their taxes. If you watch the national news the Red Cross is now in the fire protection business and bringing the fire service along.

It is time to stop being the modest heroes we have been and start having a voice in the public on what we do or we will soon see ourselves playing second fiddle to other entities who have no problems telling their stories.

Below are just SOME excerpts from an ARC media release. As you read this step away from being a firefighter are read this as one of your citizens will. Why did the Red Cross start a blitz why didn't the fire service? Who is leading this drive to protect us the Red Cross or the fire service? Who do I turn to for fire safety and protection information?

Read and think about it. Do to the ARC website and search fire safety and see if it refers to the fire service or fire department anywhere. This is what is appearing in papers all over the country:

This Blitz is a continuation of Nationwide Fire Safety Campaign launched by the American Red Cross in October 2014. The goal of the campaign is to reduce deaths and injuries from home fires by as much as 25 percent over the next five years.

Since the campaign launched last year, teams of Red Cross volunteers and fire officials have installed more than 2,200 smoke alarms and provided fire safety information in neighborhoods across South Carolina.

To learn more about fire prevention visit Redcross.org. To learn more about becoming a volunteer or donating to help people affected by disasters like home fires visit www.redcross.org/EasternSC or call 843.477.0020.

well if the fire service would focus a little more on fire prevention might help?

Recent story:::

http://www.firehouse.com/news/118628...ector-position

I am all for anyone that will get smoke alarms in homes!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555 View Post
      well if the fire service would focus a little more on fire prevention might help?

Recent story:::

http://www.firehouse.com/news/118628...ector-position

I am all for anyone that will get smoke alarms in homes!!!
      Agreed 100%. This is not a knock against the ARC as much as it is a wakeup call for the fire service. We need to start getting out there and working with our public before someone else does and gets some of the funding we cannot afford to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Byrne View Post
        Agreed 100%. This is not a knock against the ARC as much as it is a wakeup call for the fire service. We need to start getting out there and working with our public before someone else does and gets some of the funding we cannot afford to lose.
        OK, that sounds great.

But also I have learned Partnering can be a valuable tool in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555 View Post
          OK, that sounds great.

But also I have learned Partnering can be a valuable tool in many ways.
          Absolutely. Partnering and planning. This is where the fire service drops the ball in the prevention arena. Lack of planning which includes things like the media.

This is a great program!! It is just not being delivered in a favorable way in relation to the fire service and public perception.

Comment

problem #1 the fire service would rather tell everyone they are heros while sitting in their recliners in the dayroom at the station instead of getting out in the public eye.

Yes there are cases of good publicity garnered by helping the public on occasion beyond what is required by the job.

Problem #2 is the ARC has a huge PR operation to blitz the media whenever they do anything . They spend millions every year to blow their own horn in the media.

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
              problem #1 the fire service would rather tell everyone they are heros while sitting in their recliners in the dayroom at the station instead of getting out in the public eye.

Yes there are cases of good publicity garnered by helping the public on occasion beyond what is required by the job.

Problem #2 is the ARC has a huge PR operation to blitz the media whenever they do anything . They spend millions every year to blow their own horn in the media.
              Gotta disagree with the first part -- while there are blowhards - I still think that the majority of fireman underplay their contributions. I agree 100% with the 2nd -the red cross has a huge pr wing. I have partnered with everyone from meal on wheels to home school organizations to install smoke detectors, but again for better or worse I tend to let them have the majority of the lime light.
              ?

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
                You don't know the HALF of it. I used to be a paid employee of the ARC Disaster Services when I was younger, my pre-career FF days. I was deployed to the midwest United States for the floods in 1993. I'm not going to get involved in details but I was involved in the rescue of a woman from her car, who got washed into a drainage ditch during a sudden, massive rainstorm in Sioux City, Iowa. She was in a bad spot and I (and my partner) happened to be in the right place at the right time. We got her out of the situation and dropped her off at her home. We didn't make anything of it. Next day I get called to the ARC Field Headquarters....Was told I was being interviewed on the news. When I refused, and after they got over being incredulous (the PR people couldn't believe that I did NOT want to get interviewed and be on the news) I was ORDERED to do it. I said "ok, but I might have a bad attitude during the interview or let it slip that I was FORCED to do the interview when all I want to do is be left alone." Well....You would have thought that the earth was going to come to an end the next day because thats precisely how the PR folks both there and back in Philadelphia were acting.........It all comes down to the dollars. Every time the ARC gets press, they press for donations.........And the better the press they get, the larger the dollars they get.........
                "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                  Gotta disagree with the first part -- while there are blowhards - I still think that the majority of fireman underplay their contributions..
                  Yes and no. Yes firefighters as a whole WAY underplay what they do! YES!! That's my whole point here. We need to stop being the modest heroes and start talking like every other agency ahead of us in the funding line...

I would not use the term "blowhards" but I do feel the fire service as a whole refuses to acknowledge the societal change in values and feel that our role of rushing into fires for the save is enough to carry us through every budget cycle. That is not the case any longer. People appreciate that - but have no idea all that goes into that which brings us back to the first point of modest heroes. They want to know what we do for them today... right now... in-between fires....

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                    .It all comes down to the dollars. Every time the ARC gets press, they press for donations.........And the better the press they get, the larger the dollars they get.........
                    Exactly! They are the master at PR which is why they survive and thrive. A a department PIO I have been on the other end of abuse when I pushed firefighters who accomplished something into the limelight. It was good for them, for the department, fore the fire service, and good for them AGAIN when the department got funding for pay raises and other benefits.

One of my guys who actually complained to the chief about how I was embarrassing him when I put him in for awards and did a PR on it. I mean acted like a complete child - is now in charge of a fire department and his resume is FULL of all the awards I got for him.

PR works. We need to get serious about it.

Comment

radio news report , on a fatality fire --- "the red cross is taking care of a family that had a fatal fire Wednesday in __________ "
                      I have no doubt that they (the red cross)haven't furnished the family with a few days in a motel, given them a wal mart voucher for a tooth brush and some clothes, but "taking care of the family" little bit of a stretch there.
                      ?

Comment

Watched the 10 oclock news tonight --The Red cross was installing smoke detectors in high risk neighborhoods -there was a fire apparatus in the back ground while they were interviewing the red cross director , but NO mention of the local fire department.
                        ?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X