So What???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So What???

Is it just me or does Mr. Carter like to talk about himself and ramble using exotic words and phrases. I rarely read anything of his that remotely interests or educates me. As far as being a consultant I wouldnt suggest anyone using him..unless you just want your government to buy you stuff and in that case just tell him what to write in his report and thats what you will get.

------------------
    These are my opinions and mine solely, none are on the behalf of any organization I am affiliated with...have a nice day

Just wanted to add this tidbit that someone sent me which I can't agree with more. Thanks for sharing this.

"Sending to you as I refuse to register with Firehouse- mostly because
    of Carter.

You got that tune right! Carter always has an underlying message of
    'see how dumb you guys are and how smart I am"
    His articles never help those in the trenches and I doubt much of the
    admin. When is Firehouse gonna wake up and get rid of this puffed up guy
    and his posturing and ego?

The true way to reach people is not to go on forever with big words and
    yet tell us nothing in the end- that is what politicians do....

You can post this message if you like.

Shear Trauma"

------------------
    These are my opinions and mine solely, none are on the behalf of any organization I am affiliated with...have a nice day

Comment

Why do people feel threatened by Harry Carter's commentaries? Because he has an education? Because he tell it like he sees it? Because he doesn't sugar coat his opinions?

Give me a break! I love the comment that ffemt1034 posted for someone who "sending to you as I refuse to register with Firehouse...mostly because of Carter", aka "shear trauma". In other words, this person does not register because of one person's opinions?

I'm sure this person visits the site and takes advantage of the news, information, training and opinions expressed on the forums. Not registering because of one person is a lame excuse! If "shear trauma" doesn't have the intestinal or testicular fortitude to register and express his or her own opinions, maybe he/she should not be logging onto the site!

Do I agree with Harry Carter's commentaries all of the time? Not always. I do respect his opinions. If you take the time to e-mail him with your comments, he does e-mail you back. I don't know of too many columnists that would do that!

------------------
      Firefighters: rising to accept the challenge!
      Captain Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Captain Gonzo (edited 04-26-2001).]

Comment

Maybe ffemt1034 should be in turnout gear when he reads Harry's commentary.

Harry Carter's articles are well thought out and in your face, if that is too much for you, maybe a different occupation is in order.

His heat helps you handle the much more intense type you meet on the job.

Al Lambinus
        Pomona, MO

Comment

To put in terms we can all understand. "IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT-GET OUT OF THE BUILDING" It amazes me that someone feels someone with the education of Mr. Carter should be questioned. I do not always agree with him, but I always read his articles.He has forgotten more than most of us will ever know. Maybe if we could all attain his level of education, we'd get more respect from other "proffesionals". If you want to be treated like a well educated person, you must first act and speak as one.
          Also if Mr.Carter is making you feel that he is talking down to you, maybe you need to look at if what you are doing is right or not. Don't rely on "This is the way we've always done it" or be the department that has "50 years of tradition unimpeded by progress"
          Just my thoughts, nothing else.Sometimes the people who upset us the most,teach us the most.

[This message has been edited by SBVFD-RESCUE7 (edited 06-06-2001).]

Comment

I appened to call my brother on another topic this morning just in time to provide his stress debreifing from his last shift. Arrived on scene w/fire running the roof of 3 story apts. 4 total firefighters including engineer and two on the ambulance. Only 1 in turnout. Who chose to squirt water from the parking lot. Glad brother didn't go in alone. He did make a few choice comments regarding "administration".

Frankly, if Harry gets under your skin, then something he said rings true to you.

Comment

I must say that I enjoy and look forward to Harry's commentary. No, I don't always agree with what he says 100% but the man doesn't shy away from his convictions and he pretty much calls them like he sees them. You gotta respect that. I've found many of his columns thought provoking, and they're always well written. His choice of words may be on the "big" side to some, but hey, why not use the columns as a learning experience? Harry also makes himself accessible. Just try emailing him and see how fast he responds. I've had the pleasure of corresponding with him on a couple of occaisions via email, and he is very prompt and always courteous. He's a professional in every sense of the word.

Keep up the good work Harry!

Comment

Although I can't really say that I know Dr. Carter very well, I have had the pleasure of talking with him on a few occasions and I think he's a really nice guy. I few of my very close friends know him pretty well and even they say he can come across a little pompous at times, and they rib him about it. As far as all the Carter bashing on this thread? I say keep dishing it out, he probably enjoys it. From what I here he has pretty thick skin, but I guess that can be expected after working in Newark for 25 years.

Comment

I don't agree with all of Harry's comments but then he knows that because we have had some recent emails to each other concerning his comments on some Midwest departments. The thing I will remember is that he was willing to publicly apologize. I believe that many times those that do wrong and maybe even those that do their best most of the time forget that we should always be examining ourselves and our work.
                  Many of you are officers and let me be the one to ask you as to when was the last time you stood in front of the troops for a critique and said let me know what I did wrong as an I/C. See the fact is most of you do not do that. You aren't willing to accept the fact that we keep doing something wrong in this country because we keep getting firefighters killed while fires go down. (Yes I know there are other reasons) Harry, while I don't necessarily think he is right many times asks you to think about what you are doing.
                  Recently, I was asked during an interview for a Chiefs job in another dept. as to when I would be happy with what I would be given for equipment in the new department. I told the Mayor, "I'll NEVER be done asking you for more firefighters and equipment." Guess what, "We should never be done criticizing our own actions and others in an effort to improve our ability to serve." That doesn't mean I think I'm better it means I think I can always BE better and so can others.
                  It will be interesting to see what NY FD says about what happened. I hope they will be candid about what we should learn from this because I know several departments that like to say they did nothing wrong even when a F/F gets killed.

Comment

I'm rather glad to see this post. I've had the same thoughts regarding Mr. Carter's commentary. I often agree with his message. What I often have difficulty with is it's delivery. Frankly it turns me off to feel as though I've been slapped on the wrist every time I read his column. While I haven't done it yet, I have often thought of writing to him to discuss that with him.
                    I too am educated, and an educator. I've found that being educated should be an attitude, not a position. It should make you a better person, not give you a soap box. Certainly, a person who is educated should be questioned. Having an education does not place anyone above that.
                    I'm also an educator, instructing at several post-secondary institutions, an elementary school and with behaviorally challenged youth. Through these experiences I've found the best teaching methods to be positively reinforcing. Often times I have found Mr. Carter's columns to be negative and downgrading.
                    Lastly, as a Fire Chief, I expect and request feedback from my Firefighter's constantly. They are always my first priority. If they have concerns or issues over any decisions we make at the firehouse, I expect to hear directly from them. Communication is imperative to all of us.
                    I realize Mr. Carter has an important message. I'm glad Firehouse enables him with the oppurtunity to get the message out. I wish that Mr. Carter would be more positive in his delivery.

Comment

If there's one thing I've learned about Firemen over the years is we almost always have an Alpha type personality, we have an opinion, and by-god somebody's going to listen!

Be Safe, Frank

[This message has been edited by FSRIZZIO (edited 06-25-2001).]

Comment

I was a supervisor of a large fire training facility on the southeastern portion of Pennsylvania for many years. I continue to be an instructor but I have recently been very frustrated by the attitudes of those who have attended as recruits. One of the reasons why I left as the supervisor and Coordinator of fire programs was the constant "problems" that recruits had with the "attitudes" of the instructors. This attitude was frequently described as a superiority complex.
                        This post just felt like the same thing. As a firefighter and officer, those instructors represented some of the best firefighters and instructors our county had to offer. Instead of listening to the lessons, they listened to the method. The method was necessary because of the short time allotted to provide the nesessary information to the student.
                        Dr. Carter column is similar. If you can't see the content because you are offended by the size or complexity of the words then maybe you should evaluate why you are a firefighter.
                        Part of being a good human as well as being a good firefighter is being able to pass on information to others who have not been as fortunate as yourself. Dr Carter has a lot to offer and does so by putting his views, his name and his picture for all to see. That makes a person vulnerable. He is an intellegent man who is trying to help you and this profession. As another educated and intellegent man once told me, "they didn't give me this Doctorate degree because I turned in box tops." I expect the same was true for Dr. Carters doctorate.
                        I also agree with Captain Gonzo. I have questioned and commented about his column to Dr Carter via e-mail and he responds. Sometimes by phone, sometimes through e-mail, but he has never failed to respond. It takes a big man to do what he does.
                        ffemt1034 grow up.

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: amfm ]

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: amfm ]

Comment

I have nothing against Mr Carter except he upset me when the Fire Act Grants were first coming in by writing his article and then when the # of applications finally broke all expectations he as well as others took credit for being a factor in departments getting in their apps.
                          let me know if im not clear

pat

Comment

PatDunn,
                            Your probably right, I remember something like that. Course just like he can't prove that he did have anything to do with it, I'm not sure you can prove he didn't.
                            My main point in my post was basically, just because you don't like the message don't shoot the messanger.
                            Like someone also said earlier, if something he writes upsets someone like ffemt1034 then maybe ffemt1034 is just the person that needs to hear that kind of stuff.
                            We don't have to agree with everything he says but you should at least respect the fact that his motivation is to advance this service. Comments like the one that started this post don't serve to advance anything except ffemt1034 ego.

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: amfm ]

Comment

For a fresh mind and fresh eyes, seeing Mr. Carter's commentary is like a breath of fresh air.

It also rings a tone with what is going on with my department and my Explorer post, how changes must be made, and that the fire service should quit bickering over who's line it is and get to the heart of the matter, who's doing thier job, not just doing, but doing correctly. As I once heard from a fire fighter in a neighboring town, you can't half-*** this job.

Hope this also rings true with someone else.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X