Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Apathy: Harry, cut us some slack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Harry, I don't know if you read all of these posts. I don't care if you pat yourself on the back or whatever. I hope that only departments that need and deserve funding get the money. I hope you DON'T reward a big city dept just for the politics, and I hope you DON'T give a volunteer dept that has 4-5 more companies than they need money for more chrome bumpers and super light bars. I hope this is done in a fair manner. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I just got around to reading Harrys latest commentary. What an insult.

I must say that I find his opinion that it was because of HIM that prompted the 1000's of depts to file their application disgusting.

Do you think maybe it was because the depts wanted to make sure the app was completed correctly, they didn't have the necessary info compiled until now or they are like a vast majority of people, great procastinators ?

I find this a little insulting coming from a brother F/F and traveling man. Most of your commentaries are helpful, but I must say that I do find this insulting.

------------------

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sorry but my bulls**t alarm just kicked into overdrive. First we get spanked by Harry for not having these applications filled out quickly enough to suit him after "HE" worked so hard.....

Now when he should be eating his words and writing an apology for failing to recognize how busy everyone is and how hard we worked to get what will end up well over 20,000 application filled out....

He asks us to believe he was trying to motivate us!!!! He takes credit for having some role in causing all these application to be filed?!?! What an insult!

Put your head back in the sand or other dark place of choice you took it out of and just admit you were wrong.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well I am just wondering what Mr Carter will say now with the total at almost 19,000.
    Of course he say that he predicted this all along.For all the organizations that have pushed for the grants...Thanks....you now have the best ammo in the world to go after more funds to bring us on par with law enforcement. Just start with the letter stating.....
    DEAR PRESIDENT BUSH...do you know how many firefighters and their families vote? With 19,000 applications for grants don't you think you need to rethink your statements on the fire service?
    Oh well just something to think about

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I found Mr. Carter’s commentary interesting, but premature.

Sure the Fire Service knew that the Fire Act application was pending. Conventional wisdom established a certain set of requirements prior to the Final Rule with a 30-day application period beginning in May. The fire service started developing their grant proposals.

Then the Final Rule was published clarifying the requirements and establishing priorities for the various categories. The Fire Service refocuses their applications, possibly completely rewriting them to maximize their chances of success.

The application forms were released with an application period a month earlier than expected. The Fire Service works through forms that it has never seen before and are somewhat intimidating, despite the instructions dictate certain responses and ease the process. Narratives are rewritten for clarity and to conform to the preferred format.

Finally, even with the lightning speed that the federal government moved to develop and publish the grant application and requirements, there are still bureaucratic hoops to jump through at the local level. Most organizations must work through their own bureaucracy in order to provide the authorized signature, usually requiring action by a governing board whose schedule does not necessarily coincide with the application period.

I don’t think it was too surprising to see the delay with the bulk of the applications. I think it was entirely predictable.

[This message has been edited by sholle (edited 05-03-2001).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I can't believe all the moaning and groaning that is going on over the Grant. Like most Departments, we are stressed for time also. But this is free money. The grant application is not complicated (it's actually very simple. FEMA gave you most of the answers if you just followed their instructions) it just takes a little bit of effort. And for the chance to feed at the federal trough it's worth the time it took. On the other hand it did take a little bit of time to do it right and we shouldn't be criticized for turning it in later during the application period. If they had wanted them sooner than May 2 they should have asked for them sooner.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well Harry, don't break your arm patting yourself on the back for motivating the fire service to submit grant applications. I doubt your ranting had much to do with it but here is a challenge to "prove" yourself.

Using your own example, tell me what percentage of tax returns the IRS gets in the last two weeks before the mid-April deadline. Don't include all returns - JUST THOSE WHO ARE GETTING REFUNDS.

This is not a trick question and I don't know the answer. I'm willing to make a bet on human nature. If more than 25% of the returns are filed before April 1st, I will buy you lunch at this year's Fire Expo in Baltimore. If less than 25% are filed before April 1st, you owe the fire service an apology.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Take a breath Mr Carter, we are typing as fast as we can.

It appears that you are as interested in patting yourself on the back as slamming the already overworked fire service. Please don't think for a minute that your article leading us out to the whipping post motivated anyone. I was already typing.

you were involved in the "actual" fire service at one time right? Did things happen in a week? Nope.

We sent our grant application in this very day. After many long nights by a few committed new grant writers.

Thank you for your help. We need it. But relax we ARE doing our part.

I and thousands of my hard working brothers and sisters will gladly accept your apology when the number of grant applications reach 15,000 at:

[email protected]

------------------

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Does Mr Carter think it was his editorial that spurred us to now have almost 4000 grant applications? I would be surprised if it doesn't reach 10,000. Mr Carter says he has several writing styles. Well in my opinion
    he didn't use any in that commentary.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Everybody who has posted here has been on Harry's case about his editorial about "Fire Grant Apathy".

I have a different view....

1. We all knew that the first year of the act was funded. Yes the timeframe for submitting the grant applications was real "short notice" , as firefighters we should be used to that by now! That's what happens when bureaucrats handle the decisions that firefighters should be making. If firefighters were in charge of puttng together the application package, it would have followed the KISS protocol.
    We had a few months to fine tune our requests before the paperwork came out!

2. Every fire chief has a "wish list" for their Department. Some of these wish lists are attainable, others are "pie in the sky".
    We have had plenty of time to determine what we need to have, what's nice to have, and what we could do if we had that! Prioritize, ladies and gentlemen!

3. In reference to "professional grant writers"...there are lots of resources for getting information on how to write nartratives for and apply for grants. Ever think of contacting the School Administration and the Police Departments for your community? They write and receive grants all the time. It's not "rocket science"...it's putting your ideas and visions into clear and concise context to obtain funding from grant programs.

I have written grant request narratives for our public fire education program in the schools and the State's firefighter equipment grants. I am not a professional grant writer...just a firefighting professional who can write grant requests!

------------------
    Firefighters: rising to accept the challenge!
    Captain Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Captain Gonzo (edited 04-26-2001).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    OUT OF TOUCH!?!?! Mr. Cater seems to be way beyond that. He harps about deadlines and the review process, why wasn't the process and timeline followed to get this information to us quicker. Those of us reading this are fortunate, we have the internet to bring this information to us quicker. Many of our brothers and sisters out there in this day and age are still not as fortunate. Yeah my grant application is going to get there near the end of the application process. Was I being lazy, apathetic, arrogant or any of the fine descriptive words Mr. Carter bestowed on us? NO! I was making sure I followed the process, presenting it to my city council for review and approval of the matching funds, finalizing the paper work, making sure I had all the copies made they wanted, checking and double checking my information, following suggestions for improving my chances and anything else I could think of to make our application successful. Why? Because I DO want some of that money. Do I think I'll get it? I'm not sure. But I bet the more requests we have the better our chances of keeping this funding in the future. If I don't get it will I try next year? DAMN SKIPPY!! Maybe Mr. Carter can work with all of his Washington buddies to get their sh*t together and give us more time to prepare out here in the REAL WORLD next year!

[This message has been edited by Chiefkeo (edited 04-26-2001).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I just had to add another post. I see the number of applications now stands at almost 2000. I think this goes to show that people were being diligent in properly filling out the forms, and not just throwing something together. I, for one, would like for Mr. Carter to issue an apology for jumping to conclusions and not being impartial in seeing the situation. If not, fine, we know what we have done. Kudos to all of you who have put in the time and effort to producing a quality app. rather than just sending in large numbers to satisfy Mr. Carter.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Give us a break. A 32 day window is tough to meet when you have never done a federal grant before. We didn't have the narrative written and waiting for the final forms because you can't answer the questions until you know what they are.

Our department and several other local VFDs will have applications sent this week. I expect there will be a flood arriving at Emmitsberg over the next few days.

The reviewers will have their work cut out for them.

At least we know what to expect for next year.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I certainly hope that the reason for the low #s at Emmitsburg is due to the companies making sure the application is absolutely correct. I do agree with Mr. Carter as I know first hand that everyone talks at the monthly meeting about how they want the money and how we could use it, ESPECIALLY the CHIEF, but you cant find them when you need assistance with the application! Godspeed to all of you out there who have taken the initiative to handle this endeavor for your company and I hope you get the recognition you deserve.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Who is this guy, Carter?
    Sounds to me like he is just another DISCONNECTED POLITCIAN. Claiming to be trying to help the little guy and when they can't jump through the hoops in the time frame set up, what 32 days, what planet is he from? Cry about all the time he spent on it BOOHOO. Wait till the money doesn't get spent because YOU didn't fill out one form right!! But you will probably never know why your application was denied so the next time you can use a different strategy. Wait till ya don't pat him on the back. But it sounds like he can pat himself on the back pretty well maybe he won't need you to. Just like a liberal to immediately start to blame others and start the name calling.
    "asinine? laziness? the federal tavern?"
    Something about being scared that you will get turned down?

I wonder if this will be like other federal programs. If it don't work throw more money at it!

I have filled out grant applications before but not any federal applications. Most of them will at least give you a 6 mo. time frame to fill them out. How about those of you that have never seen a grant application. They are ALL so simple HAHAHAHA! Now I know most of you don't have anything else to do, right?
    This guy is an idiot.

These are my opinions and not those of any organization I am connected with.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X