Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Apathy: Harry, cut us some slack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe all the moaning and groaning that is going on over the Grant. Like most Departments, we are stressed for time also. But this is free money. The grant application is not complicated (it's actually very simple. FEMA gave you most of the answers if you just followed their instructions) it just takes a little bit of effort. And for the chance to feed at the federal trough it's worth the time it took. On the other hand it did take a little bit of time to do it right and we shouldn't be criticized for turning it in later during the application period. If they had wanted them sooner than May 2 they should have asked for them sooner.

Comment

I found Mr. Carter’s commentary interesting, but premature.

Sure the Fire Service knew that the Fire Act application was pending. Conventional wisdom established a certain set of requirements prior to the Final Rule with a 30-day application period beginning in May. The fire service started developing their grant proposals.

Then the Final Rule was published clarifying the requirements and establishing priorities for the various categories. The Fire Service refocuses their applications, possibly completely rewriting them to maximize their chances of success.

The application forms were released with an application period a month earlier than expected. The Fire Service works through forms that it has never seen before and are somewhat intimidating, despite the instructions dictate certain responses and ease the process. Narratives are rewritten for clarity and to conform to the preferred format.

Finally, even with the lightning speed that the federal government moved to develop and publish the grant application and requirements, there are still bureaucratic hoops to jump through at the local level. Most organizations must work through their own bureaucracy in order to provide the authorized signature, usually requiring action by a governing board whose schedule does not necessarily coincide with the application period.

I don’t think it was too surprising to see the delay with the bulk of the applications. I think it was entirely predictable.

[This message has been edited by sholle (edited 05-03-2001).]

Comment

Well I am just wondering what Mr Carter will say now with the total at almost 19,000.
        Of course he say that he predicted this all along.For all the organizations that have pushed for the grants...Thanks....you now have the best ammo in the world to go after more funds to bring us on par with law enforcement. Just start with the letter stating.....
        DEAR PRESIDENT BUSH...do you know how many firefighters and their families vote? With 19,000 applications for grants don't you think you need to rethink your statements on the fire service?
        Oh well just something to think about

Comment

Sorry but my bulls**t alarm just kicked into overdrive. First we get spanked by Harry for not having these applications filled out quickly enough to suit him after "HE" worked so hard.....

Now when he should be eating his words and writing an apology for failing to recognize how busy everyone is and how hard we worked to get what will end up well over 20,000 application filled out....

He asks us to believe he was trying to motivate us!!!! He takes credit for having some role in causing all these application to be filed?!?! What an insult!

Put your head back in the sand or other dark place of choice you took it out of and just admit you were wrong.

Comment

I just got around to reading Harrys latest commentary. What an insult.

I must say that I find his opinion that it was because of HIM that prompted the 1000's of depts to file their application disgusting.

Do you think maybe it was because the depts wanted to make sure the app was completed correctly, they didn't have the necessary info compiled until now or they are like a vast majority of people, great procastinators ?

I find this a little insulting coming from a brother F/F and traveling man. Most of your commentaries are helpful, but I must say that I do find this insulting.

------------------

Comment

Harry, I don't know if you read all of these posts. I don't care if you pat yourself on the back or whatever. I hope that only departments that need and deserve funding get the money. I hope you DON'T reward a big city dept just for the politics, and I hope you DON'T give a volunteer dept that has 4-5 more companies than they need money for more chrome bumpers and super light bars. I hope this is done in a fair manner. Thank you.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X